Sign in with
Your question

Building New Sound PC

Last response: in Systems
April 16, 2008 2:22:29 AM

Ok, well I'm building a computer for a friend that will mainly be used for radio quality sound podcasting. He has given me some requirements and I think I have a vague idea of what he needs.

He says he wants 3 hard drives one for the operating system, one for storage, and one for applications. He wants to run these in a raid format, and I'm not sure what Raid would be best for this. Two need to be 1 terabyte 7200 RPM drives, but I thought the OS one might benefit from a smaller Raptor, any opinions?

He also wants 4 Gigs of RAM, which should be easy enough to fulfill.

Now we're entering the area where I'm really confused the sound card and motherboard. He said he would like a Creative sound card with XLR, SPDIF,RCA, 1/4 in., and two other sound things I can't read. He also said something about mini toslink cables, which I'm confused about. He want the motherboard itself to have two firewire ports, though if necessary I can just get a firewire card, and as many USB ports as possible.

Now I'm not sure how much all this will cost, theres no strong need for video so that should cut some costs. I was thinking maybe the new AMD 790G motherboard would be a good fit for the build, but not sure about that. The budget is between 1-2k, but cheaper is better.

Any help would be appreciated.

More about : building sound

April 16, 2008 8:54:07 PM

Anyone have any idea what I would need for this computer?

So far I think I'm gonna get a

Q6600

4 gigs of RAM

the 3 Hard Drives I said (small raptor for os, 1 tb for apps, 1 tb for storage)

Integrated graphics? (as long as they are good ones, this should be sufficient)

No idea on Mobo, could use some suggestions (needs 2 firewire ports and a lot of usb ports

Sound Card, I'm not really sure how what the different inputs mean.

PSU corsair 550vx?

DVD/RW Drive

Case: I'll confer with him.

Anyone have any idea on the sound card and motherboard combo I could use?
April 16, 2008 10:57:23 PM

The Gigabyte 780G MB, (GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard), is good and has the features you want. However, it is AM2+/AM2 not Intel 775 CPU socket.
For Q6600/MB with intergrated graphics, ASUS P5E-VM HDMI LGA 775 Intel G35 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard.
The PSU you picked out is the right one for your app.
Someone elso will have to lead you the right way for a sound card.
Related resources
April 17, 2008 2:39:24 AM

rsetter1 said:
The Gigabyte 780G MB, (GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard), is good and has the features you want. However, it is AM2+/AM2 not Intel 775 CPU socket.
For Q6600/MB with intergrated graphics, ASUS P5E-VM HDMI LGA 775 Intel G35 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard.
The PSU you picked out is the right one for your app.
Someone elso will have to lead you the right way for a sound card.

Thanks a bunch for the mobo info, now just need to get the spund card straightened out.
April 21, 2008 12:40:03 AM

Bump, any help?
!