Sign in with
Your question

PC Crashing

Last response: in Systems
April 16, 2008 10:45:10 AM

Hallo all. I've asked plenty and it seems like nobody has answers, hopefully you can help. I've built my pc in December and had no problems until Sunday.

Intel G33 LGA775 FSB1333
Asus Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS, 640mb
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Kingmax DDR2 1gb x 4
Hitachi 500gb

I was playing a game and all of a sudden the picture was lost, absolutely nothing on the tv screen.
Then trying to switch the computer off and on - got 3 long beeps every time.
Took out video card - and used the integrated one - no picture.
Plugged a normal monitor into integrated card - picture did appear but it only goes up to the startup screen and then it just goes to the screen where it asks: Save mode, Start normal, Last known good ... etc.
Doesnt matter which one I choose - it just starts the circle again. There are no beeps at startup now. I did change the Ram, problem stayed. Played around with everything and got an error saying that cable disconnected / media not found.

I've taken the hdd out of my computer and connected it with a borrowed pc. The borrowed pc did pick up my hdd and I could browse files. I then took out the borrowed pc's hdd and tried to start up the pc with only my hdd. Once again the circle of reboots, without the pc actually shutting down.

I then tried a borrowed hdd in my computer (leaving my hdd out) - the same thing happened, circle of reboots.

I dont know what to do now... :cry: 

More about : crashing

April 16, 2008 11:12:52 AM

What's your psu?
April 16, 2008 11:27:06 AM

It's 400w. You think that is the problem? And why is my hdd also crashing in another pc?
Related resources
April 16, 2008 11:31:22 AM

The pc doesnt power down and up, it simply goes up to the lock-on screen and then immediately to the F8 screen.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 16, 2008 11:50:58 AM

You can't exchange hard disks from different computers if they have different chipsets. You need to do a Windows repair on the other computer to get back to where you were.
April 16, 2008 12:02:30 PM

When I ran the Xp cd (prof) before swapping hdd's I got the blue screen of death every time before I could get to the repair screen. ... Luckily the borrowed computer was ok after I've put it back together.
April 16, 2008 12:12:15 PM

I didnt mention that before my pc crashed completely, I had a problem of receiving the blue screen after starting up the pc every 1 out of 10 times. I thought that maybe I had the wrong drivers for my Nvidia installed.? Can that be the problem for complete failure?
a b B Homebuilt system
April 16, 2008 12:26:54 PM

Are you overclocking?
a b B Homebuilt system
April 16, 2008 12:32:13 PM

If you have a spare power supply, try that.
Tell us the brand of your power supply and look at the label and tell us how many amps are on the 12v rails. I'm pretty sure your power supply is not adequate for your system.
April 16, 2008 1:07:46 PM

Its a NZXT PF400
DC output +3.3V + 5V + 12V -5V -12v + 5VSB
MAX A. 22A 35A 20A 0.5A 0.8A 3A.

Thanks for helping.
April 16, 2008 1:11:29 PM

No I wasnt over clocking, but my daughters 'clever' boyfriend was playing games while I was outside - he could have changes some settings in Asus.
April 16, 2008 6:26:07 PM

wildheart said:
When I ran the Xp cd (prof) before swapping hdd's I got the blue screen of death every time before I could get to the repair screen. ...

What error message did you get on the BSOD? Also, try pressing F8 when booting off the hard drive and select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and see if it's giving you a BSOD before rebooting. Might help narrow down the problem.

And which Intel G33 board is it? I see three listed on Intel's site.
April 17, 2008 6:43:53 AM

I disabled automatic restart and immediately got BSOD. Information on the screen:
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time ……
Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK / F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

***STOP: 0X0000007B (0XBACC3524,0XC0000034,0X00000000,0X00000000)

The mobo is D81072-306
April 17, 2008 7:38:54 AM

I get exactly the same message when I run the xp cd - even before I can get to repair.
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
April 17, 2008 7:55:10 AM

Two things:
First, the 12 volt out of your PSU is inadequate - especially with your video card.

I have a Q6600/GA-EP35-DS3P/eVGA (G80) 640 MB 8800GTS system with 320 GB HD and LG DVD drives breadboarded on my work table. Using a calibrated clamp-on AC-DC ammeter (AEMC MD400) to measure current, I get:

12 volt CPU connector with Q6600 running Prime95 - about 8 amps.
OC'd to 3.3 GHz, vcore from 1.2625 v to 1.3125 v - about 9 amps.
12 volt line to motherboard in main PSU plug - 1.5 to 2 amps.
12 volt graphics card connector while running 3DMark05 - 7 amps.
The two drives - 2.5 amps.

That's nearly 21 amps under load. And that doesn't include the other two 500 GB drives or all the fans in the Antec case that the system will go into.

Second, a series of three long beeps indicates a memory problem.
Suggestion: Remove the video card until you get a better PSU and use the onboard graphics. Check the manufacturer's specifications on memory operating voltage. Pull all four sticks of memory. Boot. You will hear the 3 long beeps. Test each stick individually. If they each work, go into the BIOS and adjust the RAM voltage to specs if necessary. Then test them in pairs.

Last, once your system is up and running, password the BIOS to keep other people out of it.
April 17, 2008 8:10:35 AM

Thanks, the video card was the first thing that I removed and still had the same problem. I will try the ram now.
April 17, 2008 8:20:23 AM

With only 1 stick I get the following message:
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cables
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent
No bootable device --- insert boot disk and press any key
???
April 17, 2008 8:24:34 AM

I tried the xp cd at this time and still got the BSOD.:cry: 
April 17, 2008 9:04:09 AM

I disabled all boot sequences but cd and hdd and tried running the xp cd again. This time I got the following message:
File usbohci.sys caused an unexpected error (1024) at line 5897 in d:\xpsp1\base\boot\setup\setup.c
Press any key to continue.

.... Computer restarted and did the same @@@ again.
April 17, 2008 12:26:39 PM

8800GTS 640 requires:

Quote:
Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amp Amps.)

7B stop code details:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

Try clearing cmos, either replace the gpu with a lesser one or get a better psu, try each stick of ram in each of the slot until the pc posts, then set up bios, install the rest of hardware.
April 17, 2008 2:16:12 PM

I'v got no idea of how to clear the cmos?
April 17, 2008 9:24:30 PM

The STOP 7B error is "inaccessible boot device". The trouble is you're not only getting this when booting off the hard drive (booting into Windows), but also booting off the CD, since that's the boot device when you're running the XP installation disc. When exactly does the BSOD pop up when you're booting off the CD? Do you get to the "Welcome to Setup" screen? Or does it crash before that?

Quote:
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cables
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent
No bootable device --- insert boot disk and press any key

That's the network boot. That usually comes after the hard drive in the boot sequence, depending how you have that set up in the BIOS. So the board wasn't able to boot off the hard drive.

Did you only try one stick of RAM, or did you try all four sticks individually? If you tried all four individually and they all gave you the same results, then you can rule out the RAM as it's very unlikely all four sticks failed at the same time. (If that happens, don't ever bother buying lottery tickets. :)  )

If you want to try clearing the CMOS, there should be three pins near the battery with a jumper covering two of them. Unplug the system and move the jumper over one pin for about 30 seconds, then move it back. If you have trouble finding the jumper, the motherboard manual (also available on Intel's site) can point it out for you. Or you can cheat and take out the battery instead of moving the jumper.
April 18, 2008 8:17:46 AM

smeghead4269 said:
When exactly does the BSOD pop up when you're booting off the CD? Do you get to the "Welcome to Setup" screen? Or does it crash before that?

The system crash while its loading all the files of the cd - long before the screen where I can choose new installation, repair...

smeghead4269 said:
Did you only try one stick of RAM, or did you try all four sticks individually?

I did try all sticks individually.

smeghead4269 said:
If you tried all four individually and they all gave you the same results, then you can rule out the RAM as it's very unlikely all four sticks failed at the same time. (If that happens, don't ever bother buying lottery tickets. :)  )

My surname IS Murphy!!!! :??: 

smeghead4269 said:
If you want to try clearing the CMOS, there should be three pins near the battery with a jumper covering two of them. Unplug the system and move the jumper over one pin for about 30 seconds, then move it back. .

I did it and I am still getting the same problem.. :cry: 

What now?
April 18, 2008 11:26:04 AM

smeghead4269 indicated the error related to network boot. You can set up boot order in bios to NOT boot other devices. See your manual.
April 18, 2008 11:46:13 AM

akhilles, I've done that on the 16th already.
April 18, 2008 5:19:32 PM

In the bios, check your hard drive configuration. Be sure that it is set to IDE or SATA. Make sure AHCI or Raid is not selected.
April 18, 2008 5:34:55 PM

Looks like a failed motherboard or PSU. Sometimes won't boot from the hard drive, or if it does you get the STOP 7B. XP install CD gives you the STOP 7B, which should only happen if you're using an IDE or SATA controller that the CD doesn't have a driver for (pretty rare, and not the case with your board). The RAM has been ruled out. The video card has been ruled out. CMOS has been reset, so we can rule out your daughter's "clever" boyfriend screwing with the settings.

So all that's left is the board, CPU, and PSU. CPU is the least likely to fail. My gut tells me the board is the most likely culprit, although it could still be the PSU as someone else already suggested. 400W should be plenty for that system after removing the video card, but it could still be defective. If you or a friend have a spare PSU lying around you can try hooking it up and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't fix it, see if you can RMA the board.
April 22, 2008 12:27:08 PM

Thank you for all your help, I, we, have solved the problem.

I took out the CMOS battery.
Went into BIOS and yes AHCI was selected, I changed it to IDE - it was the only other option available.

Booted up and got the BSOD - after locking in - that was the furtherest I've been able to get into windows since the 12th.

I then went back into BIOS and disabled everything except hdd and again got the BSOD after locking in.

I then tried starting the computer in Safe Mode and finally didnt get BSOD. I uninstalled all the software that I had cd's for (just in case) including and mostly the Geforce 8800GTS drivers. I then went into BIOS and selected Default Settings. Again I received the BSOD immediately. (smiley hitting head against the wall) Went back into BIOS and changed AHCI to IDe.

Started the computer normally and its running with no problems since this morning!!

So for anyone out there - PLEASE - the drivers on the Asus Cd that comes with the Geforce 8800GTS are not compatible with a setup like mine.

Thanks again for the help guys.

!