Sign in with
Your question

Mother board wont power off

Last response: in Windows XP
August 17, 2010 2:36:45 PM

i just installed a new msi g31 board along with intel processor. after installation i tried powering off computer but the os shuts down leaving the board still powered up with cpu fan and other case fan still running. I hold down power for more than 5 secs, same result. I have to power off from psu switch from back of tower. Can u give me some in sight to resolve this issue?
a b V Motherboard
August 17, 2010 6:23:15 PM

policepatel said:
i just installed a new msi g31 board along with intel processor. after installation i tried powering off computer but the os shuts down leaving the board still powered up with cpu fan and other case fan still running. I hold down power for more than 5 secs, same result. I have to power off from psu switch from back of tower. Can u give me some in sight to resolve this issue?

Power and Reset switches swapped into the wrong connections?

November 18, 2012 10:55:48 PM

I have the same issue. It is on first boot, brand new configuration.
I have shorted the switch on the board directly to turn in on, and have tried shoring it again for over 5 seconds to turn it off, yet it doesn't work.
After testing the PSU, I have suspicions against the motherboard itself being faulty.
Breadboarding motherboard, cpu and hsf (with psu), I have gotten to see that PSU checks out on everything (voltages are correct accross wires) yet I'm not sure whether the green wire (power swich) should be active low when the PSU is running, or just when the switch is shorted? I am getting 0V instantly.
Gray wire seems to give signal, which checks out the CPU.
So what's left is motherboard. Using Gigabyte 970A-D3. Customer support is like always in no rush to help.
!