Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

You know what's funny?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 25, 2008 6:51:12 AM

NEver buy from BEst Buy, the name is a scam. The whole place is a scam. **** Best Buy and Radio Shack dude, overpriced for no reason other than greed. they take advantage of noobs.
April 25, 2008 7:05:34 AM

Wow! 8500gt 150$! What a deal right?
Like I can get the 9600gt less than 150$ from Newegg
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2008 11:15:31 AM

:)  Yeah, nice isn't it.

Here are more great finds:
Anyone want a $940 8800GTX
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8355941&t...
How about $280 for the 8600GTS:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8301214&t...
Or grab the $170 7600GS:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7907802&t...

But I got my 8800GT 's both at BestBuy much cheaper than Newegg at the time. They also were much cheaper than they sold that 8600GTS for. Most people get rooked buying harware upgrades there, but there are some great deals too. Also got an HD3850 from them much cheaper than Newegg too. The bargain to keep an eye on now is the 9800GTX. It is $349, but given the right sale it could be $300 and then 20% off that even. Might not happen, but the 8800GT, HD3870 and HD3850 all had similar deals happen to them. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8800372&t...

April 25, 2008 11:49:54 AM

Yeah, sometimes stores like that are cheaper, Futureshop 8800GTs were way cheaper than NCIX's for a while, then they bumped up the price by 50$ or so lol.
April 25, 2008 2:47:09 PM

Well, it's no better than my local wal-mart selling x1300Pro video cards for $130. xDD

But if you watch the sales, you can find good buys, even at Best Buy. My 22" Acer was $180 after a $100 instant rebate, and that was about a year ago. Or my old 120-gig Hard drive for $25 back in 2004.
April 25, 2008 3:16:50 PM

pauldh said:
:)  Yeah, nice isn't it.

The bargain to keep an eye on now is the 9800GTX. It is $349, but given the right sale it could be $300 and then 20% off that even. Might not happen, but the 8800GT, HD3870 and HD3850 all had similar deals happen to them. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8800372&t...


Best Buy deals are few and far between...and don't even get me started on how much I hate the geek squad!
April 25, 2008 3:24:52 PM

I stopped shoping at best buy when the took CRT monitors off the shelf. They still sold them, but would not let you look at one or tell you anything besides "Duh, um ah just buy and LCD man its cheaper and better." Yeah well when you want a cheap monitor for a 5 year old you dont want to buy and LCD. Also as I have been in a bind I have had to go in there(AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH) for a mouse and some case fans. Total nightmare. My wife wanted to buy a new fridge, and suggested best buy. I was against it but she insisted. We went there, she talked to the fridge guy and with in 3 minutes was so pissed off she told the guy off (Been married 10 years and she has never told me or anyone else off) so we left.
April 25, 2008 3:25:33 PM

Speaking of outrageous (bad) deals.....I think the $250 price jump from a 2.5 to a 2.6 ghz dual core processor when buying a mac or alienware pc is pretty hilarious. Also the $400 price jump when upgrading from 2 gigs to 4 gigs of RAM. lmao
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2008 3:30:09 PM

If I'm buying an LCD or computer game I'll look there, otherwise my computer purchases are all Newegg or TD.
April 25, 2008 4:27:55 PM

njalterio said:
Speaking of outrageous (bad) deals.....I think the $250 price jump from a 2.5 to a 2.6 ghz dual core processor when buying a mac or alienware pc is pretty hilarious. Also the $400 price jump when upgrading from 2 gigs to 4 gigs of RAM. lmao



Dude, I bought my GF a macbook back in Feb. Back then the 2GB upgrade was $800 on the website. I got 4GB of RAM for $70 from ne. You save so much money by building yourself. Same as above, I only look at games or movies there. I actaully hate getting a BB gift card. I can't stand giving them money.
April 25, 2008 5:11:07 PM

SpinachEater said:
Dude, I bought my GF a macbook back in Feb. Back then the 2GB upgrade was $800 on the website. I got 4GB of RAM for $70 from ne. You save so much money by building yourself. Same as above, I only look at games or movies there. I actaully hate getting a BB gift card. I can't stand giving them money.



2 GB of RAM upgrade for $800!?

Damn.....I could build a decent PC for that amount, which would probably run better than the macbook. Kudos on just getting the ram from newegg.
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2008 5:41:12 PM

No doubt, I work on Macs, actually getting my certification from Apple, and man....whew. Best buy has nice stuff, but I've heard stories of people getting ripped off that makes me want to boycott them. Even Walmart sells pc games if you don't want to go to BB.
a c 195 U Graphics card
April 25, 2008 6:01:37 PM

I've bought minor stuff at BB, or found an occasional special there. Don't blame BB for having ridiculous prices though, blame those foolish enough to pay them.
It is funny though.
I've given more than one "geek squad" drone the hairy eyeball for thinking he knew what he was doing, when he hadn't even asked the right questions yet. Oh well.
30-35 years ago I got all my parts at Radio Shack (well, a few at Baynesville Electronics...). I had a lot of fun at my workbench, building all the little Forest Mims III books circuits, and tweaking them all over the place.
April 25, 2008 6:06:39 PM

B.B. has changed a lot over the years. I can remember when all they sold were Pakard Bell and Acer computers.

When computer games were king they would have three or four double-sided isles of shelves. Now there's hardly anything.

At one time they used to sell motherboards. I remember looking at them on the shelves.

You can find deals at BB. They still do the price matching thing.

However, I wouldn't buy a rig there. Newegg for me.
a c 143 U Graphics card
April 25, 2008 6:20:38 PM

I found an 8500GT at www.directcanada.com for $47.45. That's less than a third of Best Buy's price :) 

In BB's defense, I got my Logitech Z-5500 there on sale for $229. They're about $300 at newegg right now, including shipping. Best Buy isn't so bad, you just have to wait for sales.

April 25, 2008 6:44:25 PM

I used to work on the geek squad ( b4 they were the geek squad) and not all techs were bad..I had to fire one guy though.. now I don't have an A+ cert.. I have the experience instead. he had his cert, and yet he tried to unplug the test pc with a customer's HD in it!!!! needless to say he was fired on the spot.... I am very strict with knowledge on my bench... but still that was a very basic thing to do wrong...I miss working on computers there.... but I don't miss staying till 2-3am for inventory... and I don't miss the returns season after X-mas
April 25, 2008 7:00:17 PM

That's not THAT funny... my local Wal-Mart has an ATI X1300 for like $139. That makes the 8500 GT look like a bargain... and I'm fairly certain they still have a single Nvidia Geforce FX 5700 for around $90.
April 25, 2008 7:28:22 PM

Best Buy had the Westinghouse 24" LCD for about 50 dollars cheaper than Newegg.. If I had had the money I would have bought it!

It's weird how they can have good prices on stuff like LCDs and such terrible pricing on video cards. Maybe it has to do with shelf life.

Many people that go into Best Buy don't know what a video card is, and the ones that are looking for one don't know how much they are worth.
April 25, 2008 7:43:05 PM

What are the four words every business person should learn first?

Buy Low Sell High.

a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2008 7:46:18 PM

I'm sure there are just as good of deals on Dell's site...anyone checked recently? They don't seem to be quite as bad...but still.......bad.

I just went out and found this...

whoa...

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Graphics_Cards/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A1323072

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133205

Someone tell me...do you think these might be the same products?????? The manufacturer part is the same....
April 25, 2008 7:49:27 PM

Plyro109 said:


But if you watch the sales, you can find good buys, even at Best Buy. My 22" Acer was $180 after a $100 instant rebate, and that was about a year ago. Or my old 120-gig Hard drive for $25 back in 2004.


Yeah, I think my cousin got that deal on his monitor too.

And I wasn't really saying Best Buy was completely horrible, I just thought the price was humorous. I just got a gift card to Best Buy, and I was looking around. I thought using the gift card might result in me paying less cash than if I went to newegg. But that's not the case really.

I just noticed, the 8800gts costs less than then the 8800gt. And yes, it is the 512mb version.

Wait, that's because it's $140 off, lol. Normally $400!
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2008 7:52:01 PM

SpinachEater said:
Dude, I bought my GF a macbook back in Feb. Back then the 2GB upgrade was $800 on the website. I got 4GB of RAM for $70 from ne. You save so much money by building yourself. Same as above, I only look at games or movies there. I actaully hate getting a BB gift card. I can't stand giving them money.

Couldn't agree more :) . I had $150 on BestBuy gift cards that I finally spent on 2*500GB HDDs during Thanks Giving sales last year.
April 25, 2008 7:59:53 PM

njalterio said:
2 GB of RAM upgrade for $800!?

Damn.....I could build a decent PC for that amount, which would probably run better than the macbook. Kudos on just getting the ram from newegg.


Well, it was 4GB for $800. Since they come with two 1GB modules in the base version they would have to swap them out for a 2x2GB setup. They probably dropped the price because they can put in one 2GB module and just throw in an extra 2GB for the upgrade. That is just my speculation though.
April 25, 2008 9:06:49 PM

pauldh said:
:)  Yeah, nice isn't it.

Here are more great finds:
Anyone want a $940 8800GTX
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8355941&t...
How about $280 for the 8600GTS:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8301214&t...
Or grab the $170 7600GS:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7907802&t...

But I got my 8800GT 's both at BestBuy much cheaper than Newegg at the time. They also were much cheaper than they sold that 8600GTS for. Most people get rooked buying harware upgrades there, but there are some great deals too. Also got an HD3850 from them much cheaper than Newegg too. The bargain to keep an eye on now is the 9800GTX. It is $349, but given the right sale it could be $300 and then 20% off that even. Might not happen, but the 8800GT, HD3870 and HD3850 all had similar deals happen to them. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8800372&t...



OMFG!!!!!!!!!!Dude, 940$ for a 8800GTX wow. BEST BUY NEEDS TO GET SUED. That is such an insane scam. even ed, edd, and eddy couldnt pull that one off. 280$ is such a rip-off when you could get 2-3 times the performance in a 8800GTS
April 25, 2008 9:32:27 PM

SpinachEater said:
2GB upgrade was $800 on the website.


Man !!!
That's a steel in daylight


:fou:  :fou:  :fou: 
April 25, 2008 9:41:29 PM

This is insanity!!Its like paying people to enslave you. Oh wait, thats what bankers are for.
!