Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Correcting drive letters in the xp registry

Last response: in Windows XP
August 17, 2010 3:34:46 PM

Hello,
after a HD partition resizing (done under Ubuntu) the Windows drive letter was changed from K: to C: and then windows stopped just prior to the logon screen. I then did a Windows Repair from the install disk and now Windows boots, but is now drive C:. The registry has >20k references to the K: drive that need to be changed to C:. How do i change all the references to C?
The basics of Windows work, but none of the network and many applications don't work.

Thanks,
Pete B

Best solution

August 17, 2010 4:44:26 PM

You can do a search and repace K:\ with C:\, hoping that nothing else uses K:\ aside from the drive letter. I'd do a registry backup before you try though, maybe even a system restore point.
August 17, 2010 6:21:57 PM

SAMBA might still go round looking for K:\ as well. :D 

m
l
Related resources
August 17, 2010 11:37:52 PM

hang-the-9 said:
You can do a search and repace K:\ with C:\, hoping that nothing else uses K:\ aside from the drive letter. I'd do a registry backup before you try though, maybe even a system restore point.

i used regedit to export a backup *.reg file. Seems regedit only can edit one element at at time? So, I then did a K: to C: replace with a text editor. I then tried to merge the new corrected *.reg file, but an error comes up stating it cannot merge because stuff is in use.

"Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes"

so i think i have a corrected *.reg file, how to i get it into the registry?

thanks again
Pete B
m
l
August 18, 2010 12:04:48 AM

Saga Lout said:
SAMBA might still go round looking for K:\ as well. :D 

so even after i "fix" the registry by replacing the K: with C:, you think there still will be residual effects?

before this attempt at the registry, i tried mapping drive K to C by using
subst K: C:/
in a shortcut in all_user. that didn't seem to fix anything, even though K: is mapped to C.

Do you think that the "subst" will help with hidden uncorrected K: references?

thanks
Pete B
m
l
August 18, 2010 9:34:25 AM

PeteMB said:
so even after i "fix" the registry by replacing the K: with C:, you think there still will be residual effects?

before this attempt at the registry, i tried mapping drive K to C by using
subst K: C:/
in a shortcut in all_user. that didn't seem to fix anything, even though K: is mapped to C.

Do you think that the "subst" will help with hidden uncorrected K: references?

thanks
Pete B

There's a slim possibility of a half definite maybe that would help :D  but there are knowledgeable folk on the
Linux Board here at Tom's who'd know far better than I.

m
l
August 31, 2010 11:44:13 PM

Best answer selected by PeteMB.
m
l
!