tonyy1919

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
I have used seagate hard drives as a storage drive, but in less than 2 years I have had 2 500GB seagates go out and a 160GB seagate, On my computer also 4 on systems I have built for others. So far the most dependable drive i"ve used is Hahchi deskstar. Now seagate is supposed to be the best but if it will not last a year who is rateing these drives. My hatachi died after four years and 8or9 months. I have used Hatachi with the fewest problems. I've had wd,sagate, maxtor(also seagate) fail. I'm tired of spending money on so called top of the line when they are bottom of the line. I can not say how the drives in the other peoples computers where treated ,but mine are well treated and they fail, plenty of ventalation well cooled. So someone tell me why good is bad and bad is good,buy that I mean I bought a no name drive with 90 day warrenty new and cheap for a cheap customer 5 years ago, and still going strong. Ive serviced his computer, updated,mobo and cpu and this drive is still going. wish I knew who made it. So what is a drive I can count on. anyone know, I do custom builds for gameing and i'm loseing money on harddrives. you can not build high end with low end products. If i'm lucky I build 1or 2 a month some months none. Repairs keep me going. I give good warrantys and I have a lot of harddrive faliures. people want well known brand parts. Are these companys slacking off and running on thir reputations.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I am not sure if you have been reading much in the tech forums or websites like this but Seagate had a HUGE failure of several models inluding 250, 500 and 1TB drives, possibly more for firmware lock ups.

Essentially the drives were fine functionally, they spin up and run but the firmware is locked in a loop and will not allow the drives to be seen by the OS. Seagate only offers to replace the drive but your data even though intact is unreachable. Seagate will NOT help you to recover and wants like $800 fee to do so even though it is caused by their firmware and not fault of yours.

This problem was specific to the Seagate drives labeled as "7200.11" in their model. The 7200.10 and 7200.12 drives are free from this problem. So if any of your drives were the 7200.11, that alone could be the problem. They had some major firmware problems with those units.

You could also try Western Digital hard drives, which have always been known to be very reliable.

4745454b

Titan
I've had wd,sagate, maxtor(also seagate) fail.

I think he's tried that already.

I don't mean to be rude, but I'd guess its a power problem. Long sentences, single paragraph, many misspelled words, I'm guessing you aren't in the USA. Any chance you live in an area that has bad power? Perhaps you should consider adding a power conditioner to your setup.

Lippy13

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
The Seagate 7200.11 firmware problem hit me a few months back before the issue became known. Luckily I managed to perform the ghetto fix successfully and it's back up and running with all the data still intact. This wasn't the only firmware problem with that series either. There were one or two less serious flaws too, such as the drive sometimes pausing for several seconds. The whole debacle has put me off purchasing any more Seagates for a good while.

I own a Hitachi Travelstar for my laptop, and it's been getting a number of bad sectors after only a few months of use, followed by a bit of clicking. After the bad sectors were discovered however, the clicking went away and the drive is still hanging on. I think it's ran through its bad sectors now, but it's made me cautious about getting another Hitachi.

I'm personally sticking with WD and Samsung these days. WDs are usually reliable, and Samsung are also beginning to become reputable these days. I'm currently trying my luck with a Samsung Spinpoint F1 and so far it's been flawless after 6 months of use as a system drive.

So personally, I'd go with whatever is the better deal between those two manufacturers as I think they are the most reliable right now.