Microsoft fax can't send

gallicbear

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Hi there; this problem started about a week ago. Don't know what changes were made. My windows XP fax program won't send any more. It receives dozens of faxes a day, but does not send. I compose my fax, go through the steps, can preview it. Then I click on send. And... nothing happens. It's not even in the outbox. Crazy! I even uninstalled the driver, had windows reinstall it. Nothing still. I am in a good mood to replace the fax program with a different program (not the built-in function from Microsoft). Hopefully someone has an answer.

It's been a long while since I used it but could a setting have changed that's saving them all to Drafts?

gallicbear

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Thanks for trying, saga lout. To my knowledge, there is no 'draft'. Just an outbox; the faxes remain in there until sent. But they don't even go into the Outbox. Nothing happens. No error message, absolutely nothing.

gallicbear

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
From what I figured out afterwards, the problem was caused by the Windows updates that were released early August 2010. After restoring the system, the fax sending worked again. There were about 14 updates that were installed and it seemed as if each one caused the issue. So I gave up and didn't install those updates. It was too time consuming to understand why and which one specifically triggered this.

Pity you didn't identify the one that caused Outlook 2003 to screw up it's Junk Mail settings because it wasn't the one that was named "Outlook Junk Mail" I think they messed up the names of that batch of updates. :D[/#000ff]

gallicbear

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Thanks, saga lout, for pointing that out. It's sad that Microsoft's explanations and descriptions aren't very user friendly. The good thing is that this is the first time one (or more) of their updates did that. I had never run into a serious problem before.