XP Log off and Log On Problem

August 8, 2005 7:00:08 PM

For the last few weeks I've had a problem logging off from one user id and
then on to another (not just switching users).

When I log off from the first user id the normal XP login screen is
displayed but when I click onto the password box for the new user the cursur
doesn't appear in that box and I can't enter the password. If I select a
user id that doesn't have a password then I can log on as them, the problem
is only with user ids with passwords. Restarting XP then allows me to log on
to any user id as normal.

Am running XP SP1 still, and not deliberatly changed anything recently.

Any ideas?
David

More about : log log problem

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 11:19:27 PM

Hi,

Click start/run, type SFC /SCANNOW and click ok. Allow the system file
checker to validate and replace corrupted system files.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"DavidM" <davidm_uk_notme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> For the last few weeks I've had a problem logging off from one user id and
> then on to another (not just switching users).
>
> When I log off from the first user id the normal XP login screen is
> displayed but when I click onto the password box for the new user the
> cursur
> doesn't appear in that box and I can't enter the password. If I select a
> user id that doesn't have a password then I can log on as them, the
> problem
> is only with user ids with passwords. Restarting XP then allows me to log
> on
> to any user id as normal.
>
> Am running XP SP1 still, and not deliberatly changed anything recently.
>
> Any ideas?
> David

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 3:47:54 PM

SFC requests I insert the XP Professional SP1 CD. Since my PC is running XP
Home I can't get much further. Is SFC a utility only available for XP Prof?
David

> Hi,
>
> Click start/run, type SFC /SCANNOW and click ok. Allow the system file
> checker to validate and replace corrupted system files.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "DavidM" <davidm_uk_notme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > For the last few weeks I've had a problem logging off from one user id
and
> > then on to another (not just switching users).
> >
> > When I log off from the first user id the normal XP login screen is
> > displayed but when I click onto the password box for the new user the
> > cursur
> > doesn't appear in that box and I can't enter the password. If I select a
> > user id that doesn't have a password then I can log on as them, the
> > problem
> > is only with user ids with passwords. Restarting XP then allows me to
log
> > on
> > to any user id as normal.
> >
> > Am running XP SP1 still, and not deliberatly changed anything recently.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> > David

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 12:08:46 AM

Hi David,

Ignore that and insert the XP Home disk if it's a retail or generic OEM
version. If not, this article I wrote should help you point to the proper
files:
http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#I386

--

!