Unable to post above 399FSB. Please advise.

stevej

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
My system runs perfectly stable at 399 MHz, but cannot be overclocked at all higher. I only use BIOS overclocking, not the software console the board came with. Tried many different settings above 400, expecting a hole, but no post. PCI is locked at 100MHz, and I get no graphic issues at all even while overclocking the video in software.

I have tried 3 different memory brands, including a Mushkin that I know posts above 400 MHz FSB but this still behaved the same on my system.

I assume the problem comes from my mainboard, because all the components I have should be able to handle much more FSB speed, and the perfect stability I get at 399. I have been overclocking since the mid 90's, mostly on Asus on Gigabyte, but I have never found a bios with so many confusing timings, and this is I am afraid the source of my problem. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I could move my FSB up?

My system specs are:
Gigabyte EP45-DS3R F8 bios, E8400, Patriot 6400LL 2 x 1GB (but tried two others also), etc.

Did you set your FSB to Memory Radio at 1 to 1? Also keep in mind that the Gigabyte board will try to be "helpful" and tighten your memory timings if you lower the ratio since it figures you will be running them at a slower speed as it doesn't take into account the change in your FSB. Set your RAM timings manually to their rated values. If you're not changing the FSB ration then make sure to loosen your RAM timings and perhaps increase the voltage slightly.

stevej

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Yes, the FSB to Mem ratio is 1:1. The timings are all manually set to 4-5-4-11, as it says on the mem sticks themselves. The numerous other mem timings are at auto, since I do not even know what they do. The memory is rated for 800 MHZ, and is running at 798 only with stock timings at this FSB. I did the same thing with the other memories I tried. The mushkin sticks I tried in another board, and they post well above 800 on that system at their stock timings, but not on mine.

G

Have you tried upping the northbridge voltage slightly? I ran into a FSB bottleneck like you once and the northbridge was the only thing holding it back.

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Do some research on FSB to northbridge strap. It may have nothing to do with it but you never know. From my understanding a different strap is applied when you reach fsb of 400mhz, and on asus boards its fixed so it doesnt come into play until fsb 401. But im not gonna try to smart about something that i dont fully understand so its just an idea for you.

TRENDING THREADS