lanceypoo

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
I've searched a bit on the forums looking at posts related to this subject. Found a couple, but still don't have a solid answer for my question.

I recently upgraded to 8800 GTS. Had it for a day and realized my power supply just couldn't handle it. So I took it back, and used that same cash to purchase an 8800 GT card, as well as a new power supply (600w).

Here's the problem. I installed the new 8800 GT, and the computer boots up fine... but nothing is showing up on the monitor. It's like its not even picking up a signal from the card. Everything is plugged in right. The power is working. And it's not the card, because this is the second 8800 GT card I've tried.

I use an ABit IP-95 v1.0 mobo. I've read that it does AND does not support the 2.0 PCIe. I mean... how could the 8800 GTS work, and not the 8800 GT? Does the BIOS need to be updated? I have no idea what to do. Any suggestions would be AMAZING. Thanks!

G

this is going to sound stupid... but it either could be the the new powersupply isn't giving the system enough power, that the monitor isn't plugged in... or that your vga cord between the monitor and the card needs to be unplugged... blown into... to get dust and what not out... and then put back in... try that see if that helps... f it doesn't... idk what to do because it can't be bios

lanceypoo

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
Here's my power supply - Cooler Master extreme Power Duo 600w. The guy at the store said he used the same power supply and ran with two of my graphics cards.

As far as I can tell, the monitor is definitely plugged in. I have to use a DVI adapter to plug in, but I've tried it with both the new adapter that came with the card, as well as the old adapter I was using before. Neither one works.

As far as the cord goes... I did all that. Still nothing. I mean, it works just fine with my 7300 gt and with that 8800 GTS I had for a day.... it just won't work for this new 8800 gt. I'm still stumped as to what to do. I'm either gonna have to get a whole new mobo that'll definitely work with PCIe 2.0, or save a bit more and go back for that 8800 GTS. Which, while I'm on the subject. Now that I have this new power supply and can support that 8800gts... is it worth the extra bit of cash?

Thank you for the response.

randomizer

Champion
There is no problem with your card. There are known compatibility issues with the 8800GT and VIA chipset based motherboards which don't follow the PCI Express standard to the letter. The previous fix was forcing the card to run in PCIe 1.0 mode, but this is now a redundant fix. VIA doesn't want to address the issue, so Nvidia made a workaround for it in the form of a video BIOS update. All BIOS versions 62.92.24.x and later have the compatibility fix.

Find the BIOS you need for your particular brand here: http://www.mvktech.net/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,26/func,selectfolder/cat,4/

If you can't find it, just post on the forum and someone will help you.

nail15

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2008
Lancypoo - which 8800GTS do you have. The old 320/640 version or the newer 512? If it was the old 320/640 GTS that you switched from, you may have some leftover parts of the driver for it screwing up the 512k GTS which uses a different graphics chip. Just a shot in the dark, but Nvidia created a bunch of confusion using the same "8800GTS" designation for the old cards and the new cards and that may have bit you.