Sign in with
Your question

Rotating a cloned display 180 degrees?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 25, 2008 5:33:26 PM

We just got a Dell Latitude XT (ATI Radeon Xpress 1250, Vista 32-bit SP1). When it's in tablet mode, the vga port is on the bottom making it very difficult to use with a projector. You can flip the display 180 degrees to make using the tablet more comfortable, but then the image on the projector is upside down. I can't find an option to flip just the cloned display anywhere. Is there any way, third party or otherwise, to accomplish this?
April 25, 2008 5:42:42 PM

I think the problem arises in your question. Your trying to flip a cloned screen. Now if that screen was separate i.e. dual screen setup, it wouldn't that much of a problem. However, i don't work with dual screen so can't help you, but this may help other's who know?
April 25, 2008 6:17:03 PM

Right, I should have made that more clear in my post. I'm fairly certain what I want to do isn't supported directly by the video card driver. I'm just looking for any sort of workaround. Using the tablet right side up with the VGA cable plugged in is extremely unwieldy in the setting we would like to use it in.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2008 6:41:35 PM

your projector should support flipping the image.
April 25, 2008 6:58:04 PM

It does, but the problem is that the projector is mounted in a classroom, and some teachers have a regular laptop. Flipping the the image will cause those with a laptop, or with a tablet in normal mode, to have an upside down image. Flipping the image (at least on our projectors) causes the throw to change, and would need serious adjustment of the positioning of the projector, so it's not really an option. I need some sort of software/driver solution.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2008 7:56:56 PM

well thats the only way you are going to be able to do it. =/
April 25, 2008 8:02:34 PM

You really won't have any other choice. Your display is cloned, so the only way you're going to be able to flip it is with the projector (either physically flipping the projector, or most projectors support flipping the display in their menu).

I don't understand your complaint with the teachers having their displays flipped. When you're done, either physically flip your projector back, or just change the settings back. What's the problem? You're just being really difficult imo.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2008 8:05:12 PM

Intel Core 2 Quad q6600 // 8GB RAM (PC2 6400)
Dual WD Caviar SE16 750GB RAID 0
Dual NVidia GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB w/ SLI
2x Gateway FPD2485W 24" LCD Monitors and 2x Dell 3007WFP 30" Monitors (quad monitor

nice lol ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
April 25, 2008 8:10:06 PM

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2008 8:11:04 PM

Wanna hook up? a/s/l?
April 25, 2008 8:12:02 PM

Hell yes. 22/m/ca. we can check out each others rigs. and look at each others computers too while we're at it LOL AM I RITE?
April 25, 2008 8:51:33 PM

The projectors are mounted to the ceiling. When you flip the image, it goes on the ceiling, and you'd have to get on a ladder to point it down and change the focus, keystone and such. You think it's too demanding to not want to do that between each 40 minute class? It's not even physically possible. Maybe we need some different projectors that would better support rotation, but that’s not an option.

I realize that feature this isn't something that most people need, but it really doesn't seem like that crazy of a request to me.
April 25, 2008 9:02:14 PM

Well you're obviously limited with your hardware, and there really isn't much else to tell you if you insist on using the projector in cloned mode. You can't have it both ways when your projectors suck.
April 25, 2008 9:04:48 PM

Furthermore, what kind of ceiling mounted projector doesn't have some sort of a remote control to change the settings? If you're really as limited as you say you are in terms of hardware, then yes, it is a crazy request.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2008 9:41:31 PM

remote or live with it being uncomfortable =)
April 25, 2008 10:02:44 PM

It has a remote. The problem is that when the projector is mounted to the ceiling, it shoots down. When you disable ceiling mount in the options the image shoots up. This would then require you to physically point the projector down for the image to appear on the wall.

Even if it were possible for the projector orientation to be modified in options, that’s not even the point. This is something that may need to be changed on the fly several times a day. There are too many things that can go wrong (such as a missing remote) even with the right hardware. I was hoping to find a simple, elegant solution, but it obviously doesn't exist.

Thanks anyway.
April 25, 2008 11:10:51 PM

You might have better luck trying it on a second desktop and abandoning the cloned desktop before you give up all hope. I have no idea how even that would work, but it would be much more possible than flipping only one output from a "cloned" output.
April 28, 2008 4:23:35 PM

I found a solution if anyone out there is curious. http://realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

It lets you flip a cloned display, along with a number of other features for multi-monitor setups.
!