Best Photo Storage Device?

Lavarin

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I'm looking for a hard disk that has slots for memory cards, and which of course can plug into a computer. Here's what Engadget's readers have recommended:

Hyperdrive SPACE
Nexto DI Extreme
Epson P3000
■CompactDrive PD70x (discontinued)
■A Cheap Netbook (LOL)
■More SD cards

I'm actually considering just getting more SD cards as the most cost-effective option. They're not fragile enough to justify a photo storage hard disk purchase, are they? What do you guys think?

donpacific2k

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Yikes... for the price it seems like you might as well get a cheap netbook with a harddrive, which you can at least use for other things like web access or taking notes. Personally, I'd just get more memory cards as needed. Those ones you listed are cool devices and all, just too expensive for what you're getting.

brett_30

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
>>They're not fragile enough to justify a photo storage hard disk purchase, are they? What do you guys think?<<

It's important not to put all your eggs in one basket. I'd recommend backing up to an external hard drive (an ioSafe would be a great choice: www.iosafe.com/3) and backing up online using a service such as Mozy. Doing it that way, your data will be protected against pretty much every eventuality ... flood, fire, device failure, coffee spills, cats, etc., etc., etc.

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
If traveling overseas I'd certainly lug around my 12.1" ultraportable (netbook just ain't my thing). But if it's just a 1week trip or day shot session I've got a two 16GB and three 8GB to keep me happy pumping out ~12MB/RAW onto them.

At the end I throw them onto my hardware RAID5 array for archival when I get back home.

Ned007

Reputable
Nov 7, 2015
Here is your solution: this is the latest and best device that I came across that is a sort of a smart hard drive with SD card slots like you want, and it will collect all your photos and automatically organize them, sort them and protect them. It will let you easily share them and view them via HDMI cable to your TV. You can read more http://bit.ly/1llIMfh
Let me know your thoughts!