P5K-E esata problem with WD MyBook Studio

motoracer11

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I just built a new system with an Asus P5K-E motherboard and am having trouble connecting my WD MyBook Studio 500gb by Esata. Randomly Windows XP will see the hard drive and other times it wont. When it does see it, when I try to open a file on the HD I get the Windows Delayed Write failure. I fixed that error by stoping the disk cache. But now randomly it just disconnects for no reason and I have to turn off the drive and unplug it and hope for the computer to recognize it again. I have all the updated ASUS drivers for the Jmicron JMB36X controller (1.17.15.0). My BIOS is updated with the newest version also. Any suggestions...? Thanks guys.

motoracer11

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Actually, I guess I still get the Delayed Write Failure. I just got one trying to open a file on the WD MyBook. The drive no longer shows up on my computer.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
DID YOU OC THE PCI-E?
set it to stock 100

if not try another drive in the spot and then the drive in another computer

thats weird

does not sound like a mobo issue sounds like a drive issue and compatiblity issue

you might need new drives for the drive

motoracer11

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Nothing is overclocked, everything is set to stock. I am currently trying to contact Western Digital about this problem. Someone said that there might be a problem w/ my Esata cable, seems kinda funky but I might check that out. This is my second WD drive, the other one flunked out on my as well, just froze up my computer all the time. I love the features of this drive but I just have had so many problems... it shouldnt be this difficult! Any other suggestions?

thesizzler

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Interesting, I have Intel DX48BT2 and a 1T WD MyBook Home Edition. Running Vista64 Business. The drive is connected via eSata cable. Sometimes it just disappears. Unplugging the eSata and or power cable will not make it come back. Sometimes rebooting will make it come back but not always. I think this will be my last WD drive.

And yes I have all the latest drivers for the mobo and the drive. Their WD button driver seems to install(finishes, no errors) but I don't think it really does. I don't get the blue WD icon in the sys tray.

bzomerlei

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Any update on this? I just purchased a 750GB WD drive that can be connected via USB/FireWire/eSATA. While connected to eSATA, the drive sometimes disappears. It will come back with a re-boot. I do not lose the drive while connected to USB or FireWire/ but those are both slower interfaces. I'm running Vista Ultimate 64bit.

As a side note, I noticed the WD button utility does not run while using the eSATA interface, but will for the USB/Firewire.

I'm running a MSI P35 Platinum, model MS-7345. I'm resisting the urge to upgrade the bios on the MB, the last time I tried it I bricked the MB, but that was a known bad bios.

pgstormblade

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
I have the same issues with my Mac. The WD drive works fine when first booted. It looks like after a period of non-activity that something on the drive goes to sleep and will not wake up again when you try to access it. Most of the time I have to power off the drive and power it back on again. This only happens when I use e-sata. If I have the drive attached via FireWire - no problems at all.

Following some links (cant find them right now) I downloaded a new firmware for the drive and an updated control software for my Mac, neither of which made a difference.

Stormy

GazzaS

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Hi Guys,

Getting the exact same issue with the WD MyBook Home 1TB with the ESata connection.

Are you using direct connection to your mainboards like me or are you using an external ESata back plate?

I've just tried setting up an MS DOS batch file that will on idle create a 1kb text file and then destroy it again every hour. Hopefully this will keep it from sleeping... I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Gary

bri1232

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
I`ve had a lot of problems with the WD Mybook Studio the Delayed Write Error

But I have had no problems since I updated. has been working great on FW400 and E-Sata have transfered over 500 Gig with no errors

had to update Firmware for drive that seems to have sorted Firewire problem

E-sata had to install latest drivers now using Write Cache Enabled working great

My Pc Specs are

Abit Ix38 Quad GT
Cpu Q6600
4 gig Ram
Ati Radeon HD3870 Toxic
2 x 500Gig Seagate internal drives

motoracer11

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Hi Guys,

I have tried everything and am still having problems. I bought this External HD for the Esata capabilities and it frustrates me that it doesnt work. I have heard great things about WD but so far I am very disappointed in the performance/quality of the product. If anyone has gotten anything to work please let me know! Thanks

ibroudno

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I spoke with Western Digital and what they told me is that all their My Book and My Passport external hard drives have this problem and not just eSATA connector is affected.
It is a power adapter issue.
They say that when the power drops below the required 12V and 2A, the drive goes into this "sleep" mode and you need to power it down before it can be seen again.
There is no solution for My Book (my case).
For My Passport, they can send you a booster cable which connects to 2 USB ports on your PC to draw more power out of it.