What is the size of a 500gb hard drive?

Tags:
  • Boot
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
August 17, 2010 8:43:58 PM

Hello,
I tried to install windows xp and it kept telling me that my boot manager was missing. I wanted to start from scratch and it will not let me in. Now the size of the hard drive displayed 465.76gb but I can do nothing with it. It seems that it took the program and is now closed to access. Can some one help me with this? Thank you in advance. Ray

More about : size 500gb hard drive

August 17, 2010 9:04:54 PM

465.75GB is the correct size that you would expect to see for a 500GB hard disk. I'm guessing that it's a SATA disk and you need the correct drivers for the XP install to recognize it.
m
l
August 28, 2010 2:12:39 AM

Ijack said:
465.75GB is the correct size that you would expect to see for a 500GB hard disk. I'm guessing that it's a SATA disk and you need the correct drivers for the XP install to recognize it.

Hello ijack
Thank you so much for the come back on my question about this hard drive; in fact the system is the older IDE type Pentium-4, Intel mother board and it had been running a "Western Digital" 40gig drive that crashed. I replaced it with a "Western Digital" 80 gig drive that I used to have as a slave and I guess my biggest mistake was that I installed windows-7 in it.
Then I realized that windows-7 was not what I was looking for in a OS.
windows-7 has a lot of compatibility issues with my old system and components. So I bought a "Western Digital" 500gb "Pata" that according to the stores salesman and the packaging is compatible "Pata (ata-ide) interface.
I think you just turned me onto something very important, I was looking at the changes that are needed to change the drivers from Pata to work on a IDE system, for me, they are a little more then I can handle. So I'm returning this Pata for a EIDE drive. I will send you an message as to how it went.
Thank you again frittoray

PS. Sorry I didn't get back any sooner, my wife went ill and I got busy.
m
l