Windows XP official version numbers

Well, the question is simple, how do I know what exactly
version of Windows XP/Service Pack is installed on a computer?
I read about "methods" in this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888162.
But I have the following: Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp.050301-1526:Service
Pack 1)!
According to the article it should be SP2, but it clearly says SP1!
Next, on the other machine I have just "Version 5.1 (Build 2600)".
What does this mean?
Is the there any place/site with the official (from Microsoft) list(s) of
version numbers?
6 answers Last reply
More about windows official version numbers

    Service pack 2 will say ...2600.xp_2... rather than ...xpsp... without the
    underscore 2.

    In news:F89239B1-F0C2-4433-AFAF-757CFBBAA46F@microsoft.com,
    Nick Fl <Nick Fl@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Well, the question is simple, how do I know what exactly
    > version of Windows XP/Service Pack is installed on a computer?
    > I read about "methods" in this article
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888162. But I have the
    > following:
    > Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp.050301-1526:Service Pack 1)!
    > According to the article it should be SP2, but it clearly says
    > SP1!

    Then you need to get SP2 and install it. You don't have it.

    > Next, on the other machine I have just "Version 5.1 (Build
    > 2600)".
    > What does this mean?

    It means you have no service packs at all. You should install SP2
    here also (you don't need to install SP1 first, since SP2
    includes the SP1 fixes).

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > Is the there any place/site with the official (from Microsoft)
    > list(s) of version numbers?

    Hi Nick,

    To find out the version of WindowsXP that is installed, go to Start - Run and type Winver
    then press enter.

    Windows Service Pack Road Map
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/servicepacks.mspx

    You can order SP2 free from MS:
    You can order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD from MS for Free:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

    Or it can be downloaded from MS (272mb's):
    Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 2 for IT Professionals and Developers:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    Or it can be obtained through Windows Update.
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

    Service Pack Installation

    Cleaning Up after Installing SP2 - MVP Alex Nichol
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm#cleanup

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    Nick Fl wrote:
    > Well, the question is simple, how do I know what exactly
    > version of Windows XP/Service Pack is installed on a
    > computer?
    > I read about "methods" in this article
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888162. But I have the
    > following: Version 5.1 (Build
    > 2600.xpsp.050301-1526:Service Pack 1)!
    > According to the article it should be SP2, but it clearly
    > says SP1!
    > Next, on the other machine I have just "Version 5.1
    > (Build 2600)".
    > What does this mean?
    > Is the there any place/site with the official (from
    > Microsoft) list(s) of version numbers?

    My WinXppro/FI says:(winver)
    Version 5.1 (koontiversio 2600.xpsp2.050301-1526: Service Pack 1)
    And as it says, I have only SP1, because something is causing BSODs (at
    first boot, also in SafeMode, most probably my TVtuner card) if I try to
    install it (SP2)..

    Everything is updated as of July 12th (latest WinUpdates)

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Kathea Banshou" <KatheaBanshou@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti
    viestissä news:D4D1D3D0-31C4-4FCF-93CE-5752A871A829@microsoft.com...
    > Service pack 2 will say ...2600.xp_2... rather than ...xpsp... without the
    > underscore 2.
    >
    > "Nick Fl" wrote:
    >
    > > Well, the question is simple, how do I know what exactly
    > > version of Windows XP/Service Pack is installed on a computer?
    > > I read about "methods" in this article
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888162.
    > > But I have the following: Version 5.1 (Build
    2600.xpsp.050301-1526:Service
    > > Pack 1)!
    > > According to the article it should be SP2, but it clearly says SP1!
    > > Next, on the other machine I have just "Version 5.1 (Build 2600)".
    > > What does this mean?
    > > Is the there any place/site with the official (from Microsoft) list(s)
    of
    > > version numbers?

    Sounds like you have an incomplete/unsuccessful install of SP2. Several
    things can cause SP2 to fail--spyware/malware among them. You might try MS's
    tool for removal of TV Media (the one I've seen most often cause BSOD with
    SP2).

    "Thomas Wendell" wrote:

    > My WinXppro/FI says:(winver)
    > Version 5.1 (koontiversio 2600.xpsp2.050301-1526: Service Pack 1)
    > And as it says, I have only SP1, because something is causing BSODs (at
    > first boot, also in SafeMode, most probably my TVtuner card) if I try to
    > install it (SP2)..
    >
    > Everything is updated as of July 12th (latest WinUpdates)
    >

    > --
    > Tumppi
    > Reply to group
    > Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
    > Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
    > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
    >

    > "Kathea Banshou" <KatheaBanshou@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti
    > viestissä news:D4D1D3D0-31C4-4FCF-93CE-5752A871A829@microsoft.com...
    > > Service pack 2 will say ...2600.xp_2... rather than ...xpsp... without the
    > > underscore 2.
    > >
    > > "Nick Fl" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Well, the question is simple, how do I know what exactly
    > > > version of Windows XP/Service Pack is installed on a computer?
    > > > I read about "methods" in this article
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888162.
    > > > But I have the following: Version 5.1 (Build
    > 2600.xpsp.050301-1526:Service
    > > > Pack 1)!
    > > > According to the article it should be SP2, but it clearly says SP1!
    > > > Next, on the other machine I have just "Version 5.1 (Build 2600)".
    > > > What does this mean?
    > > > Is the there any place/site with the official (from Microsoft) list(s)
    > of
    > > > version numbers?

    NO, I have NOT installed SP2 on this computer.
    I have tried a few times to install SP2, got BSODs, and then restored an
    image to have a functioning system.
    (No TVMedia here..)

    I am thinking of making a clean install, but (with all additional progs)
    that will take a day or two, and even then I usually forget some progs or
    tweaks (TweakUI and different services settings..) I need/want...

    Version 5.1 (koontiversio 2600.xpsp2.050301-1526: Service Pack 1)
    This most likely is because ALL and EVERY update from WinUpdate EXCEPT SP2
    is done

    --

    viestissä news:4BE374C8-3E14-4FFB-B128-6AAE7F97D165@microsoft.com...
    > Sounds like you have an incomplete/unsuccessful install of SP2. Several
    > things can cause SP2 to fail--spyware/malware among them. You might try
    MS's
    > tool for removal of TV Media (the one I've seen most often cause BSOD with
    > SP2).
    >
    > "Thomas Wendell" wrote:
    >
    > > My WinXppro/FI says:(winver)
    > > Version 5.1 (koontiversio 2600.xpsp2.050301-1526: Service Pack 1)
    > > And as it says, I have only SP1, because something is causing BSODs (at
    > > first boot, also in SafeMode, most probably my TVtuner card) if I try to
    > > install it (SP2)..
    > >
    > > Everything is updated as of July 12th (latest WinUpdates)
    > >

    > > --
    > > Tumppi
    > > Reply to group
    > > Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
    > > Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
    > > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
    > >

    > > "Kathea Banshou" <KatheaBanshou@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti
    > > viestissä news:D4D1D3D0-31C4-4FCF-93CE-5752A871A829@microsoft.com...
    > > > Service pack 2 will say ...2600.xp_2... rather than ...xpsp... without
    the
    > > > underscore 2.

    > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888162.
    > > 2600.xpsp.050301-1526:Service