Sil 4726 port replicator raid card fried - issues with lost data!

crash189

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Hey guys.

I bout a Silverstone DS351 external raid hd enclosure. It uses an Silicon Image 4726 5 port replicator card inside. I have an Sil 3132 internal pci-e e=sata card that the enclosure plugs into.

My internal replicator card fried in a power surge. The attached server also lost one of its 5 hds.

I reloaded windows on the server.

I replaced the replicator card with a new one through Silverstone.

Now. I had a Raid 10 setup with 4x1TB drives, giving me a 2TB drive.

After replacing the internal replicator card, I cannot get my raid volume to show up! I have what seems to be a 1.8tb drive and 2 single 1 tb drives. 2 drives show up as attached to a raid array(when I tested them w/o raid on the onboard sata ports of the server to make sure they were working).

The windows disk managment tool shows the weird drive setup and so does the Sil disk managment software.

Ive had a few good techy buddies look at my setup, and they dont know what to do ... I cant get to my data! I have 1.3tb of data in limbo that I want back!

SILVERSTONE SUPPORT SUCKS MONKEY BUTT. THEY ARE AWEFULL. THEY SEEM LIKE THEY JUST DONT GIVE A HOOT! BRUSHED ME OFF! "UPDATE THE FIRMWARE BLAH BLAH BLAH".

My drives are all plugged in the same port as the original setup with the new card. My power supply in the enclosure is ok.

I have no idea how to get my data back! Silverstone said all I had to do was swap out the replicator card and I'd be ok.

IT AINT! :fou: :fou:

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Can you take a screenshot of Window's "Disk Managment" and that SIL disk management software. Just to get a better understanding of the setup the computer sees now.

After replacing the internal replicator card, I cannot get my raid volume to show up! I have what seems to be a 1.8tb drive and 2 single 1 tb drives. 2 drives show up as attached to a raid array(when I tested them w/o raid on the onboard sata ports of the server to make sure they were working).
That sounds like 2 of the disk from the original RAID10 array are now effectively running RAID0 (degraded RAID10 array) while the other two has been left out of the RAID10, running independently now.

crash189

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
I will work on the screenshot -- my setup is not with me, my buddy is working on it at his work.

I called Silicon Image today ... long story short, I have been told that I have to deal with Silverstone. Period. Nice. :??:

Silverstone ... their "tech" "Joel" is clueless. He wants me to email him my scenario, and he'll forward the email to Taiwan so that someone else can "help". What do you guys think of this?<sick> :fou:

I KNOW my data is still on at _least_ 2 of the 4 drives. I just need to get it. And I don't know how. I bet it's something almost so simple, it'll be stupid. :eek:

DdvrBE

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Hi,
I encoutered a simular problem altough it was only my internal pci-e card that died ( overpowered)
my raid system was ??? so after installing the drives i got weird thing also and by playing around I found out that you can delete all current settings and rebuild it as it should be like this I got +-2 TB of data back :) perhaps somthing to try if you think everything is lost.

Regards,
Dirk (belgium)

crash189

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008

Thanks for the suggestion. It's what I did a few months ago :)

I didn't want to delete any information in the raid setup as I didnt want to chance my data! I left that step as the last possible thing to try and it worked. 1.3tb of data. Man. Was that a scare.

And for the record, SILVERSTONE SUPPORT SUCKS.

They peice together nice boxes... but don't try to get any help from them. And I honestly think there's only 2 guys working for them out of California, LOL.