Radeon 3870 or 8800GTS 512MB

Which graphic card you agree with ??

MSI RX3870-T2D512E OC Radeon HD 3870 512MB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127315

Or

MSI NX8800GTS 512M OC GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127325

Price difference is not a problem

Features:
Radeon3870
Core Clock: 800MHz
Memory Clock: 2250 MHz
Memory Type: GDDR4

8800 GTS 512MB
Core Clock: 678 MHz
Memory Clock: 1944MHz
Memory Type: GDDR3

Both are factory overclocked
From the features Radeon3870 must perform better in gaming
As I remember 8800GTS is performing better

Isn't strange ???
Am I wrong ??

What do you think??
Which one you agree with ??
:??: :??: :??:
20 answers Last reply
More about radeon 3870 8800gts 512mb
  1. The g92 8800 perform far better.

    Here's a cheaper one, $169.99 after MIR.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134037
  2. Good reccomendation Dagger, but I say go with this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127329
  3. DarthPiggie said:
    Good reccomendation Dagger, but I say go with this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127329



    At $174.99 after MIR, isn't that more expensive than the 8800gts? :p
  4. Who cares bout MIR, who uses that, it takes 4ever :pfff:
  5. Isn't strange that 8800GTS(g92) is performing better ???
  6. Forgot to say my resolution 1280X1024
  7. Very, very dissapointing this latest Nvidia scam. There are so many scams out there, like gddr2 versions of 8600 and excess memory for more profit like 1GB or 512mb on a card that will never use it all. Performing better than what anyway? why is it strange that the 8800GT>3870
  8. DarthPiggie said:
    Very, very dissapointing this latest Nvidia scam. There are so many scams out there, like gddr2 versions of 8600 and excess memory for more profit like 1GB or 512mb on a card that will never use it all. Performing better than what anyway? why is it strange that the 8800GT>3870



    I mentioned in my first post
    Core clock, memory clock and memory type of 3870 are better than 8800GTS
    Supposed to perform better
    Thats why I find the opposite strange
  9. indeed, but i dont need to figure, We all saw this coming, but not this bad. Its greater by a few frames too.
  10. dagger said:



    This is amazing dagger
    thanks
  11. Hahaha, different architectures man. sure the 3870 also has 320 SP, but still. I cant really get too specific without confusing you. 8800GTS has 64TMUs compared to 16 on the 3870. Out of the 320 SPs you see, only 1/5th of those do actual shader work, the others i believe are pretty much useless.on the Nvidia architecture, all the SPs do work.
  12. kad said:
    I mentioned in my first post
    Core clock, memory clock and memory type of 3870 are better than 8800GTS
    Supposed to perform better
    Thats why I find the opposite strange

    3870 also have far bigger floating point capacity, in other words, the raw calculation power is higher. It has to do with inefficient architecture. The 4870 boasts 32 TMU, double of 3870, and should help with the bottlenecking. Still, g92 8800gts have 64 TMU.
  13. DarthPiggie said:
    Hahaha, different architectures man. sure the 3870 also has 320 SP, but still. I cant really get too specific without confusing you. 8800GTS has 64TMUs compared to 16 on the 3870. Out of the 320 SPs you see, only 1/5th of those do actual shader work, the others i believe are pretty much useless.on the Nvidia architecture, all the SPs do work.



    SP!!, TMU !!!! :ouch:
    I can understand core clock , memory clock
    But these things :pt1cable:
    Anyway you confirmed that 8800GTS performs better
    Thanks you all
    :) :) :)
  14. Yo dagger, think the increase in TMUs will do much, they need to improve the architechture of those TMUs as well
  15. DarthPiggie said:
    Yo dagger, think the increase in TMUs will do much, they need to improve the architechture of those TMUs as well

    It should make a big difference, since they're basically widening the major bottleneck 3870 suffered.
  16. indeed, lets hope for the best.
  17. I really think the 8800 GTS G92 is your best bet.

    9800 GTX>8800 GTS>8800 GT>9600 GT~HD3870

    I know that from dagger's post the 9800 GTX comes out below, but the 9800 GTX wasn't oced while the 8800 GTS 512 was, the 9800 GTX still had potential to oc. Those charts will only benefit ppl that already have the 8800 GTS G92 and were thinking of going higher to a 9800 GTX, which makes no sense.

    Either way, I've seen plenty of charts that proves the 9800 GTX superior. I'm sorry to say this:(

    Thats not to say the 8800 GTS G92 is bad, god no, they are about the same, but the 9800 GTX is slightly above!

    The 9800 GTX also has the tri-sli option which puts it above.
  18. Get the 8800GTS (G92)
  19. ^+1
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Memory Radeon Graphics Product MSI-Microstar