Zalman 9700 A and Case

Telsiph

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Greetings,

I have recently collected new parts for my computer, and have gotten a very sweet deal on the following 2 parts

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103010 as my case (the reviews were good up until about last month)

and

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16835118019

Now these are both decent products, however combined they run into a bit of an issue. I bought the biggest case I could find to keep case size issues from happening, but apparently they occured anyways. Due to the layout of the case, the 250 mm fan on the side, goes inward instead of outward. This causes the plastic sides of the casing around the fan to be ALMOST (but not quite) touching the surrounding parts of the Zalman fan. Obviously no moving parts will be touching each other, however I am concerned about the case being bumped, and the hot metal of the Zalman touching the side of the case (though Im not sure heat will be an issue, as it would be teaching the casing around the case fan, which should be very cold).

My question is this, is it incredibly dangerous to have the two pieces, the metal surroundings of the Zalman and the plastic surroundings of the side case fan (and one of the metal screws holding it on) ? So much that I should eat the shipping cost and the hastle of changing them out, or is it something that, considering the damned thing should be nice and cool from all the fans in it, that I could look over? Any insight from those who are wiser then myself would be very appreciated!

sailer

Splendid
As long as there is no contact, there should be no problem, no danger. Even if the metal of the heatsink does touch the plastic of the case, no shorts or anything would occur, though reseating the heatsink should be done if such happened. If you feel like trying it, knowing that it voids any possibility of a return, you might be able to shave some of the plastic back a little on the fan and thus get a bit more room. Can't say if such would even be possible without having the case and fan in front of me, so don't take that too seriously.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
As long as its not actually touching you wont have a problem, the copper on the Zalman will never got hot enough to do any melting tricks on the side case fan.