Sign in with
Your question

Attempts at using ATI Overdrive tool causes HIS 3850/system crash

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 26, 2008 3:34:35 PM

OK, I purchased the HIS Hightech Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported IceQ3 TurboX Video Card and installed the v8.2 Catalsyt drivers/software and every time I try to use the Overdrive tool, after a while I get a hard restart of my PC and it doesn't even tell me at what speed the system restarted at. I tried uninstalling drivers and reinstalling, but no help.
Also, loaded ATITool and it just plain does not work. Does ATITool 0.26 support 3850's?
HELP ME! What am I doing wrong? Or, what the heck is wrong with my system?

Gigabyte DS3L
E6550
2Gb Corsair DDR2 6400
HIS HD3850
WinXP 32 w/SP2
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2008 3:41:43 PM

Yeah, I never had much luck with the ATI overdrive tool. It always seemed to just keep going until everything crashes.
April 26, 2008 4:56:47 PM

@ MrsBytch: Attempting to "safely maximize the performance level of my graphics processor" as quoted from the ATI site. I am just trying to use ATI's own tools to determine the maximum safe speeds that my card will run.
@dagger: Should I be using rivatuner with the catalyst control center? Or should I just use it as a stand alone?
April 26, 2008 5:15:10 PM

i use the rivatuner to change the speed the fan on my hd 3870, normally i set it to 40% fixed, but when i overclock really highher than that. the actual overclocing i do with ATITool 0.27, i found that with 40% of fan speed the most i can get is 820-825 mhz. before that i crashed at 803 at the stock speeds. so what you can do is actaully test it manually instead of relying on the ati overdrive tool. it doesn't take long to find out what the temps get at whcih speeds with whatever fan speeds.
April 26, 2008 8:27:26 PM

Use Rivatuner alone. Forget ATI control center. It's just a piece of bloatware.
April 27, 2008 6:12:18 PM

OK...D/L'd Rivatuner and am most impressed with what I can do with it. Am going to D/L the latest ATI drivers W/O the Catalyst Control Center.
Will also D/L ATITool 0.27 soon and try that as well.
May 3, 2008 10:39:55 PM

Why cant you people just reply to the question? If you dont know the answer, dont respond. Some of us dont like rivatuner and want to use CCC .

Obviously this guy wanted to know how to fix a problem. Your personal preferences dont matter and doesnt help.

What do you care "what he is doing with it"? What else would he be doing with it? Thats his business. He cant get it to work and asked for help Help with the general question does.

Did you ever think that it that part of the ATI software doesnt work then maybe the ATI driver isnt working properly??? What is some other software going to do if the drivers dont work right?

I sick of people in forums just babbling away just to hear themselves.

Why would anybody take your word for this software anyways. Rivatuner is and always has been, junk

Again, If you cant answer the question dont respond.
May 3, 2008 10:44:41 PM

Please don't bump old threads. The OP's problem is already solved long ago. See the post directly above yours. :p 
May 4, 2008 1:42:28 AM

blizz26 said:
Why cant you people just reply to the question? If you dont know the answer, dont respond. Some of us dont like rivatuner and want to use CCC .

Obviously this guy wanted to know how to fix a problem. Your personal preferences dont matter and doesnt help.

What do you care "what he is doing with it"? What else would he be doing with it? Thats his business. He cant get it to work and asked for help Help with the general question does.

Did you ever think that it that part of the ATI software doesnt work then maybe the ATI driver isnt working properly??? What is some other software going to do if the drivers dont work right?

I sick of people in forums just babbling away just to hear themselves.

Why would anybody take your word for this software anyways. Rivatuner is and always has been, junk

Again, If you cant answer the question dont respond.

but to answer that rather idiotic post of yours, It is ALWAYS better to find your video card's best possible OC frequencies manually than letting a half-baked OC'ing add-on tool do it for you, anyone who OC's can tell you that. No, it's not something elitist or snobbish (Im sensing you'll answer with something stupid like that) It's just that the program, as much as it wants to, can't find the best, most stable frequencies.

!