vwj

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Hi,
I'm getting this error when I'm trying to uninstall a PC game (rome: total war) and when I'm trying to update another game (Call of duty 4 from 1.0 to 1.6). The error reads: "There is not enough free space to perform the requested operation. Please free up some space and try again."

I know for sure that space is not an issue, for I have 100's of free GB on my hard drive and especially when I'm trying to uninstall a game. I've tried to Google the error but I came up with nothing. I'm guessing maybe there's something wrong with windows install shield wizard, but I was able to uninstall and re-install COD4 without having any problems; however the problem only occurs when I try to apply the patch. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

pbarney

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
Do you have two hard drives in the system? MY first thought is that the game is installed on D: (which has 100's of free GB) and your operating system is on C:, and it wants to install some DLL's on C: (which may not have free space?) -- Just a thought.

vwj

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Yes, I do have two hard drive in my system. In fact, I just recently bought a TB hard drive and I'm trying to reinstall COD4 to that hard drive. After several attempts and failures of trying to update it, I then decided to uninstall it from my new drive and install it on my C drive, the one that as my OS and it had the same problem. Both hard drives have enough space for the game. I'm really at a loss here.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
For what it is worth,, the only time that I ever see that message is when i am trying to install something on a non NTFS partition ,it usually means that the partition is 32bit fat and will not take a file bigger than 4g..:)

vwj

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
It seems like it's only for COD4 that this problem happens. I was able to install Warhammer 40k Dawn of War and apply all the patches that I wanted on it without any problems.

For what it is worth,, the only time that I ever see that message is when i am trying to install something on a non NTFS partition ,it usually means that the partition is 32bit fat and will not take a file bigger than 4g..:)

Well, the patch itself is about 280 MB, so even if I was installing it on a FAT drive, it shouldn't be a problem. In fact, before I got my new hard drive, I was able to install the game and apply all the patches necessary to my external drive, which was a FAT32. So for a while I was playing the game off my external. But after I got my new internal, I made sure I uninstalled it from my computer and from my external.

Anyway, I might try to post my problem on a more purely gaming forum to see if anything happens. Spitfirerus, mind posting back here if you happen to resolve your problem?