External IEEE 1394(FireWire) Hard Drive Delayed Write Errors

Tags:
  • Firewire
  • External Hard Drive
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
August 18, 2010 3:37:28 AM

Hi,

I recently bought an Iomega MiniMax external hard drive. I reformatted it to NTFS to work with windows. When making large file transfers or running large programs off the drive I get delayed write errors. This only happens with FireWire. It works flawlessly with USB 2.0. The drive also works fine in linux (ubuntu) with firewire. I have a firewire card with an agere chipset. I understand that this is not a very good chipset. Could that be the problem. It doesn't make sense that it would work with USB but not firewire. I am running Service Pack 3 and none of the hot fixes worked.

Since it works in ubuntu that makes me think that windows drivers are not 100% compatible with the belkin firewire card. If I got one with a TI chipset would that solve the problem?

Some people say that the ATI graphics cards can cause problems but why would it only happen on my external drive and why would it happen with only the firewire connection?

EDIT: I just checked and LargeSystemCache is disabled so I guess its not because of the ATI card

System:
CPU: Intel Celeron 2.4GHz
GPU: ATI Radeon X1550 (PCI not PCI-E)
Firewire Card: Belkin with Agere chipset
RAM: 2 GB
Paging File: 2 GB

Thanks

More about : external ieee 1394 firewire hard drive delayed write errors

August 18, 2010 5:48:09 AM

I can only suggest that you see if DMA is available for that device using FireWire and use it.
m
l
August 18, 2010 6:50:48 PM

tigsounds said:
I can only suggest that you see if DMA is available for that device using FireWire and use it.

What is DMA and how do I go about using it? Is their a setting for it?
m
l
Related resources
August 18, 2010 7:47:18 PM

Binski99 said:
What is DMA and how do I go about using it? Is their a setting for it?

I researched this and found XP does in fact use DMA by default in the Firewire port.

There have been issues with service packs and the 1394 port.

You are using SP3 so I would hope Microsoft has fixed their problem (only a 50/50 chance).
You can check by looking in the registry.

Here is a page from Microsoft describing the problem when installing SP2 (which may also be with SP3, they don't say),
and the fix.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222
m
l
August 18, 2010 8:26:46 PM

As the TV commercials say "But Wait, There's more!"

It seems... KB885222 was replaced by KB904412-v2. KB904412 was replaced by windows xp sp3

So, the bottom line is that XP may be picking up on something wrong with the drive that other systems are missing, or there really is an issue with the belkin firewire card.
m
l
August 19, 2010 3:10:54 AM

tigsounds said:
As the TV commercials say "But Wait, There's more!"

It seems... KB885222 was replaced by KB904412-v2. KB904412 was replaced by windows xp sp3

So, the bottom line is that XP may be picking up on something wrong with the drive that other systems are missing, or there really is an issue with the belkin firewire card.

Well I am betting it is my firewire card because it works fine with USB. I have no errors with it and that is in windows and if it were something with the drive why would it only be recognized by windows on the firewire port? I think I might just get a firewire card with a TI chipset.
m
l

Best solution

August 19, 2010 5:53:03 AM

That's probably the best. Belkin has always made some pretty slick USB stuff, but not much else.
August 26, 2010 1:41:40 AM

Best answer selected by Binski99.
m
l
!