My computer:

Windows Vista Home Basic
Corsair CMPSU-550VX 550W Power Supply
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Dual-Core Processor
Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit Video Card
Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

I got the computer new in mid-January of this year. In April, I had problems getting it to start, and when I did finally get it working, noticed that the date and time were incorrect. When I tried to shut-down the computer, it just kept rebooting. I had to unplug it to get it to turn off. I was told I needed a new CMOS battery, so I had that replaced. Everything was working fine after I got a new battery, until today. I'm experiencing the same problems -- at first, the computer wouldn't start normally, but I kept trying and finally got it working. Again, the date and time were incorrect. And once more, it will not shut-down and reboots instead. Surely I haven't gotten two bad batteries in a row?

I'd appreciate any help/advice. Thanks!

More about : faulty p35 ds3l

June 8, 2008 7:40:53 PM

enter safe mode and check if it can shut down properly.
I'd find it odd you needed a new one to begin with as mine always last years and years.
June 8, 2008 8:05:07 PM

Thanks for the reply. I've already replaced the battery again, and the computer is now shutting down normally and the date/time are correct. However, I'm still sometimes (not every time) getting a "Windows recovery error" when I turn on the computer. The computer also seems to be running much slower than usual, but not all the time. Also, my sound quit on me and then came back later. I was also getting a "CMOS checksum error" until I replaced the battery, but that error is gone now.

You can see why this is so confusing -- problems seem to happen randomly and nothing I've tried fixes anything except for replacing the battery, and like you, I've never had to replace a battery before. I know this is pointing toward some other problem.

I filled out a form at Gigabyte's website and am waiting for a reply from them, but I'm not feeling too hopeful. From the reviews I've read, their customer support isn't the best.
Related resources
June 8, 2008 8:33:34 PM

lol, i know, ive been waiting 3 days for a responce on something about my board -.-
a b V Motherboard
June 11, 2008 9:10:38 PM

What BIOS version? Also you did set up the correct RAM voltage, right?
!