Neen help extending a wireless connection

real world

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
Hi fellas. I have some questions regarding an internet connection at a friends house. My bud lives in the basement apartment, with his brother upstairs. The modem/wireless router, is in the upstairs unit, and the wireless connection doesn't reach his basement unit. This didn't matter before, as he used a desktop, and we ran a hard line to his apartment. Now he's got a laptop, and no desktop, so wireless is a must. My question is, how do I get his basement unit wireless. We have a 50' ethernet cable to his apartment, so could I connect a second router to it? Would that work, or do I need something specific, like a wireless extender? He's got Comcast Cable, so I'm not entirely sure about the range of the router he has from them. I want to avoid replacing his current router, cuz I don't want to disturb his brothers set-up.

Thanks in advance.

G

It's possible to use a wireless router as an extension in the way you outline -- and it may be cheaper to buy a used ISP-supplied router of the sort that turn up in flea markets when people swap internet provider. This link to Netgear's support site gives an example of the setup requirements: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965