Hard Disk Drive

I have XP Pro. One of my disk drives gets me an error message every time I
try to save to it. The message is that I am not authorized to use it. Also
says that the administrator needs to fix it. Well I am the administrator, I
thought. What can I do to fix the problem.

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about hard disk drive

    Did you log-on as Belinda (with administrator privileges) or as
    Administrator? There is a difference.

    "Belinda Smith" <BelindaSmith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have XP Pro. One of my disk drives gets me an error message every time I
    > try to save to it. The message is that I am not authorized to use it. Also
    > says that the administrator needs to fix it. Well I am the administrator,
    > thought. What can I do to fix the problem.
    >
    > Thanks

    Also, how are you trying to "save" it and is that a re-writable CD that has
    been properly formatted to use as a folder? A CD may be a single-shot CD or
    (as has been pointed out), the drive may not allow you to write to the CD
    more than once.

    Belinda Smith wrote:
    > I have XP Pro. One of my disk drives gets me an error message every
    > time I try to save to it. The message is that I am not authorized to
    > use it. Also says that the administrator needs to fix it. Well I am
    > the administrator, I thought. What can I do to fix the problem.
    >
    > Thanks

    Please post the error message in full.

    Thank you.

    Hi, you have one of two issues, both related to NTFS.

    Issue one: Permmissions.
    An administrator doesn't automatically have rights to files and folders, but
    they can forcibly sieze these rights:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

    Issue two:
    Another account was used to encrypt the drive or folders you are trying to
    access. This is a pain in the toosh.
    Check this out Part III chapter 17 EFS
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prnb_efs_lnfx.asp

    If this is an EFS issue then you can log in as the other user accounts and
    see if you can access the disk.

    If so use that account to unencrypt the files/folders.

    --
    Manny Borges
    MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

    The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
    -- Marty Feldman
    "Belinda Smith" <BelindaSmith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have XP Pro. One of my disk drives gets me an error message every time I
    > try to save to it. The message is that I am not authorized to use it. Also
    > says that the administrator needs to fix it. Well I am the administrator,
    > thought. What can I do to fix the problem.
    >
    > Thanks

Hard Drives Windows XP