Hard Disk Drive

August 8, 2005 4:39:08 PM

I have XP Pro. One of my disk drives gets me an error message every time I
try to save to it. The message is that I am not authorized to use it. Also
says that the administrator needs to fix it. Well I am the administrator, I
thought. What can I do to fix the problem.

Thanks

More about : hard disk drive

August 8, 2005 5:08:06 PM

Did you log-on as Belinda (with administrator privileges) or as
Administrator? There is a difference.

"Belinda Smith" <BelindaSmith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have XP Pro. One of my disk drives gets me an error message every time I
> try to save to it. The message is that I am not authorized to use it. Also
> says that the administrator needs to fix it. Well I am the administrator,
> thought. What can I do to fix the problem.
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 6:47:35 PM

Also, how are you trying to "save" it and is that a re-writable CD that has
been properly formatted to use as a folder? A CD may be a single-shot CD or
(as has been pointed out), the drive may not allow you to write to the CD
more than once.

"Belinda Smith" wrote:

> I have XP Pro. One of my disk drives gets me an error message every time I
> try to save to it. The message is that I am not authorized to use it. Also
> says that the administrator needs to fix it. Well I am the administrator, I
> thought. What can I do to fix the problem.
>
> Thanks
Related resources
August 8, 2005 11:47:02 PM

Belinda Smith wrote:
> I have XP Pro. One of my disk drives gets me an error message every
> time I try to save to it. The message is that I am not authorized to
> use it. Also says that the administrator needs to fix it. Well I am
> the administrator, I thought. What can I do to fix the problem.
>
> Thanks

Please post the error message in full.

Thank you.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 10:23:02 AM

Hi, you have one of two issues, both related to NTFS.

Issue one: Permmissions.
An administrator doesn't automatically have rights to files and folders, but
they can forcibly sieze these rights:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

Issue two:
Another account was used to encrypt the drive or folders you are trying to
access. This is a pain in the toosh.
Check this out Part III chapter 17 EFS

If this is an EFS issue then you can log in as the other user accounts and
see if you can access the disk.

If so use that account to unencrypt the files/folders.

--
Manny Borges
MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
-- Marty Feldman

!