Sign in with
Your question

How much does OCing cut down your computers life?

Tags:
  • Overclocking
  • Computers
  • Computer
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
December 29, 2008 10:43:40 PM

I heard that overclocking reduces your computers life span but I was wondering how much because Ima build a new computer soon and I'm planning on overclocking the e8400 3.0ghz processor. Also, how much cooling would I need to overclock it to about 4ghz? The case I'm getting has 2 big 240mm fans on the side of the computer but I'm not sure if itll be enough since I'm new to building and overclocking.

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : ocing cut computers life

December 29, 2008 11:00:42 PM

i would recommend a xigmatek HDT-S1283 + the backplate on a budget, or the sunbeamtech core contact freezer... both available on the egg for half the price of similar performing traditional coolers :D 

as for lifetime, assuming you stay within 1.3625 voltage intel recommends, years! it will last for much longer than you will be using it :lol:  ... ie you will have a new system because the e8400 is out of date before it dies..
December 30, 2008 12:08:17 AM

Do I have to buy a cooler for the CPU? Also, I know the computer will last years but what I meant is how much does overclocking cut down the lifespan of it.
December 30, 2008 12:15:43 AM

No one knows how much OC'ing will affect the lifespan of your CPU, as long as you don't overvolt it, it will last much longer than you'll ever need it. For a rough estimate, which has no data to back it up, I'd say your CPU would last 10 years at stock and if it was OC'd it would probably only last 8 years.

If you want to overclock, it's always intelligent to buy an aftermarket cooler. I'm not sure if you can reach 4Ghz with the stock cooler on the 8400, I would assume no.
a b K Overclocking
December 30, 2008 12:26:45 AM

Voltage AND heat are factors. My theory is that a CPU with good aftermarket cooler and some overclock would last as long as the same CPU at stock speed with stock cooler.
December 30, 2008 12:30:08 AM

I see, can anyone recommend a cheap but decent cooler? I'm already over my budget..btw these are my specs.

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz
Asus P5Q
Evga GTX 260 896MB
Seagate 500GB HD
Kingston Hyper X 4gb ddr2 800
PC Power & Cooling 750W

and the case link is posted up there.
December 30, 2008 12:45:11 AM

Xigmatek S1283 and backplate
!