This is the HDD I have right now

Performance
Interface IDE Ultra ATA100
Capacity 160GB
RPM 7200 RPM
Cache 2MB
Average Seek Time 8.5ms
Average Latency 4.16ms

I'm worried about the 2MB cache, but I don't know much about what that is. Could someone explain what it is to me? It's is the stock HDD that came with my old Emachine back in 2004.

so from a IDE 2MB hard drive to say a SATA 3GB/s 16MB or 32MB hard drive, am I going to see a noticeable difference? I use barely any hard drive space so leave that out of it.

g3force

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009

I skimped on the HDD in my system a year ago and used an old Maxtor 160GB IDE drive. A few months later, I bought a WD 640GB Blue drive and the benefits were huge. Bootup was much faster, application load times were zippy (not to mention the drive was a lot quieter), and to my surprise, I got 3x to 4x speeds on fragmented files. To come to think of it, its amazing put up with the old Maxtor drive, especially when I had to deal with the awful load times in games :lol:

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
The speed increase you're going to experience from the new drive isn't going to come from the cache alone. It's mainly speed from modern mechanical hardware. 16MB and 32MB isn't going to make a difference for typical usage.

And of course make sure your motherboard supports SATA, seeing you're coming from a PATA.