Mid Tower or Full Tower for new build.

revolink24

Distinguished
May 17, 2007
I was having trouble deciding on a case type for my new build. The specifications will be something like this.

AMD/ATI dual or quad core with a supporting motherboard.

Either a 3870 (4850/70???) or an 8800GT

PC Power and Cooling 610 Watt PSU

Either 4 or 8 gb of DDR2

An ATX motherboard with Crossfire/SLi Support

And so it comes down to the case. I am having trouble finding a reasonably priced and featured case for this build. I was looking at the Raidmax Smilodon, but I hear that that PCP+C PSU is slightly bigger than usual-one person reported he had to install it upside down. And so I began to worry about case room. It would be nice to have enough available space for SLi or Crossfire in the future. I am also up for recommendations on motherboards..... preferably under $150, and preferably from newegg. Please recommend cases. Keep in mind that I found the Nine-Hundred too expensive and ugly and the P180 possibly too simple, I would like a side window. Even the P180 is a bit steep for my price range.

sarahwingler

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Well if you want more space for air and cooling, I'd get the ATX full tower, because it has more space.

Video cards (especially the 8800GTs I've seen) tend to have huge-as-*** coolers on them. They almost take up an extra slot, and some won't fit in a smaller case.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

8800GTS (both old g80 and new g92) will fit in any standard mid tower case. It shouldn't be a problem.

Ventilation is more important than space. It's better to get a mid tower case that lets air in and out than a full tower that seals everything in.
Mesh cases tend to be the best for cooling.
http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/11-119-077-15.jpg
Beware of keywords like "ultra quiet." Cases that seal in noise also tend to seal in heat at the same time.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Go Full Tower. That way if there is anything in the future you want to add in to the case, size will not be a constraint. Plus they have better air flow.

gonfin

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
a friend of mine has an antec 900, good case and it has enough room for what he does.

i upgraded to a full tower, (CM stacker old model) but keep in mind ive got 4 hdd and a dvd drive.

It really depends on what you need in your system.
A mini-tower will do fine with one hdd, one cd-dvd drive and one video card.
a mid-tower i would not put more thatn 2 hdd, 2 cd-dvd drives and 2 video cards in.

as with all systems there is flexibility in a system.
Water cooling may let you use a smaller system.

when i built my system i went for a quieter (not silent) and inexpensive build (800 for the core system)

so if you want to put a lot of stuff in your system go with the bigger case.

DiscoDuck

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I use the p180 for my gaming rig and have no regrets. Its roomy, quiet, good airflow, good cable management, very funtional and modular. Its a little pricey and heavy but I highly recommend it. Door swings to the left so it works best left of your seating position.

TRENDING THREADS