Sign in with
Your question

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio and Vista Ultimate 64Bit

Last response: in Components
May 16, 2008 2:28:51 PM

I have decided to get this card as it the cheapest I could find that has an optical input (to connect my HD-DVD player).

Now I have been reading about various horror stories, incompatibilities and crippled functionalities about this card and Vista 64Bit

Can you guys please tell me what I should look out for with this card and Vista 64Bit, and what I can do to minimize all those issues.

I also read about modified drivers by a Daniel_K that takes care of these issues.

Or if this card is not worth it any other card that has an optical input and that is in the same price point as the Creative.

So any advise and input will be appreciated.

Thanks
May 16, 2008 2:47:57 PM

I would not recomend the extream audio for any OS.
It is an overpriced, reboxed Audigy SE and nothing more.
May 16, 2008 2:55:13 PM

I found an OEM version for $40 at a local retailer, that's why I want to get it. It's cheap and can take an Optical Input.
Related resources
May 16, 2008 2:57:19 PM

Hmm.. I don't know what version you want, but the models of X-FI Xtreme Audio I see don't have any Optical output at all!! Unless you mean Spdif?

I got a brand new one sitting in it's box on my desk at home, never got to really use it, wouldn't work under Vista without giving unmeasurable amounts of RDC errors, and also the sound was distorted and echoing like hell.

Willing to let it go for 20$ plus shipping, been used for a "hellishly" long 15 minutes... Brand new in box :pt1cable: 

Would stay away to be honest.

My 2 cents

Edit: Looks like the PCI-e models have Optical in/out....
May 16, 2008 3:02:21 PM

cooljumbo2008 said:
I have decided to get this card as it the cheapest I could find that has an optical input (to connect my HD-DVD player).

Now I have been reading about various horror stories, incompatibilities and crippled functionalities about this card and Vista 64Bit

Can you guys please tell me what I should look out for with this card and Vista 64Bit, and what I can do to minimize all those issues.

I also read about modified drivers by a Daniel_K that takes care of these issues.

Or if this card is not worth it any other card that has an optical input and that is in the same price point as the Creative.

So any advise and input will be appreciated.

Thanks

I have the X-Fi (Fatal1ty Pro) and Vista 64. As far as I can tell it works...GREAT. They've even finally ported the nice software interface over to Vista 64 (something you used to only be able to get from the drivers CD to XP32). The sound is great, digital IO works, ...it actually just works...finally.
May 16, 2008 3:21:06 PM

I noticed Creative actually have drivers that have been posted this month with an ALchemy update as well.

Any one else have this card with Vista 64 Bit ? If how is your experience ?
May 16, 2008 3:27:35 PM

I have the X-Fi (Fatal1ty Pro) running on VISTAx64. Its working ok for me.

one thing i have not done is install any updates for the card.

May 16, 2008 3:29:33 PM

I have an AuzenTech Prelude 7.1, which uses the X-Fi chip, running on 64 bit Vista. Works great, and sounds amazing.
May 16, 2008 3:39:28 PM

I use a Fatal1ty Platinum with the front panel and have had no problems whatsoever. Most people that I've seen that experience problems are using cheaper models of the X-Fi card which were developed for XP and as someone else said, were little more than upgraded Audigies. It shouldn't be expected that the old, cheap cards would work under Vista, any more than you would expect a Creative card from the days of Windows 2.1 to work on a XP machine. The Audigy was developed back in the days of Win98, after all, and there's only so much that can be reasonably expected of such an old design.
May 16, 2008 3:42:20 PM

That's great and all about the X-Fi cards but you seem to be forgetting that the card he is looking at dose not have the EMU20K1 chip, instead it uses the CA0106 chip. This is supposed to be the same chip as in the Audigy 2 SE card.

But, I did just check and the drivers were updated on April 2nd.
With that in mind, I would think it should be working now.
May 16, 2008 4:07:41 PM

As far as this card is concerned in being a rebranded Audigy 2 with software X-Fi processing am I going to have that much difference.

I used to own a Audigy Platinum and I absolutely loved that card.

Now the reason I am getting this card is so that I can connect the TOSLINK optical from my HD-DVD to the sound card and pipe the sound through my speakers.

Will this sound card be able to handle the 5.1 audio sent through the DVD player ?

May 16, 2008 6:26:52 PM

Any one of any other card that can take an optical in.
May 16, 2008 7:05:54 PM

The Asus Xonar can but that may be more than you're interested in spending (it is a top notch card though) good job again Asus!
May 16, 2008 7:35:48 PM

computertech82 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Look up the reviews. recommended over any SB card.

I have the ASUS card in one computer and a Creative X-Fi Platinum in another computer and I prefer Creative's X-Fi Platinum any day of the week. Creative also makes teh Elite Pro which is even better yet. You need to be careful when saying people recommend a particular card over "any Creative card", as Creative makes a large variety of cards.
May 16, 2008 7:44:51 PM

Don't really have anything to say about any sound card, specifically, but sound is quite subjective. Regarding audio products, there are two different approaches - one, reproduce sound faithfully; two, psychoacoustics (enhance the bass, blah blah blah). Most audiophiles (whatever that means) prefer the former; companies like Creative and Bose take the latter approach, at least for the consumer market.

For enjoying great sound, neither approach is necessarily correct or better than the other. The better approach is the one you prefer... so if possible, find a way to listen to these sound cards on good speakers before you buy. Tinker with the drivers and speakers. Test various cards with different speakers and headphones. If using higher-end headphones, use a headphone amp. If you're gonna spend some of your hard-earned cash on a product you'll be using for a long time to come, make sure you made the best possible purchase. Then again, going that far might be too extreme for most people (but hey, if that's too extreme, maybe the sound card you're buying is more than you'll need?)

Whatever the case may be, I hope you'll be happy with your purchase. At least the driver situation with Creative cards and Vista has been somewhat resolved now thanks to... external pressures on Creative.
May 16, 2008 7:59:07 PM

ahmshaegar said:
Don't really have anything to say about any sound card, specifically, but sound is quite subjective. Regarding audio products, there are two different approaches - one, reproduce sound faithfully; two, psychoacoustics (enhance the bass, blah blah blah). Most audiophiles (whatever that means) prefer the former; companies like Creative and Bose take the latter approach, at least for the consumer market.

For enjoying great sound, neither approach is necessarily correct or better than the other. The better approach is the one you prefer... so if possible, find a way to listen to these sound cards on good speakers before you buy. Tinker with the drivers and speakers. Test various cards with different speakers and headphones. If using higher-end headphones, use a headphone amp. If you're gonna spend some of your hard-earned cash on a product you'll be using for a long time to come, make sure you made the best possible purchase. Then again, going that far might be too extreme for most people (but hey, if that's too extreme, maybe the sound card you're buying is more than you'll need?)

Whatever the case may be, I hope you'll be happy with your purchase. At least the driver situation with Creative cards and Vista has been somewhat resolved now thanks to... external pressures on Creative.

Nicely put, well done.

I'll just say I love my 3 X-Fi's and my daughter and wife love them too (they each have one). Coupled with reasonable speakers they've done a tremendous job in producing great sound.
May 16, 2008 8:02:16 PM

computertech82 - Thanks for that recommendation, but as I mentioned earlier I am looking for one with an optical input.

ahmshaegar - Yeah I feel pretty much the same way too, since I am not an Audiophile (not a hardcore one), any good sound card is good enough for me. Also for this need I need some thing cheap as well, I will be buying a better sound card soon, but for now, I need some thing that I can use to take audio from my DVD player, which has an Optical TOSLINK out.
May 16, 2008 8:14:59 PM

cooljumbo2008 said:
computertech82 - Thanks for that recommendation, but as I mentioned earlier I am looking for one with an optical input.

ahmshaegar - Yeah I feel pretty much the same way too, since I am not an Audiophile (not a hardcore one), any good sound card is good enough for me. Also for this need I need some thing cheap as well, I will be buying a better sound card soon, but for now, I need some thing that I can use to take audio from my DVD player, which has an Optical TOSLINK out.

These will take you there, and if you define cheap as <$200 then....

(those digital i/o's take optical i/o's too...very nice)
May 16, 2008 8:20:45 PM

halcyon said:
The Asus Xonar can but that may be more than you're interested in spending (it is a top notch card though) good job again Asus!

After the clear blackmail policy of f---ative they deserve to be f---ed
Good job Asus you have my full support
:hello: 
May 16, 2008 8:24:13 PM

I'm not crazy about Creative's bus. practices or even their support, but I, personally, have had good success wit their products so I can't knock them much.
May 16, 2008 8:42:23 PM

halcyon said:
I'm not crazy about Creative's bus. practices or even their support, but I, personally, have had good success wit their products so I can't knock them much.

I have miserable history with their sound cards
Audigy Live
Audigy2
Webcam-PC800(if I did not forget)
5.1 speakers 5300

Problem starts with installing driver other sh---ty staff are installed like AOL link
can never set 5.1 speakers to work properly
always sound of some speakers is lower than others
Speakers sound starteted crippling after couple of months and died a month later
A webcam of 10$ was better than their 100$ one where no
option to control brightness, hue, saturation or anything was available
It is a nightmare if you want to update drivers or utilities
If you do a format it is much easier to install windows and all updates and getting it to work
more than getting their sond card to work
I forgot F----ative since 3 years
May 16, 2008 8:53:02 PM

kad said:
After the clear blackmail policy of f---ative they deserve to be f---ed
Good job Asus you have my full support
:hello: 

The Asus Card is considered by most to be the best. I've scanned a number of different sites reviewing this Card and testing has showed that there isn't a card that is better.
May 16, 2008 8:55:31 PM

Cuddles said:
The Asus Card is considered by most to be the best. I've scanned a number of different sites reviewing this Card and testing has showed that there isn't a card that is better.

The Xonar and Auzentech Prelude even use solid capacitors ( :)  ) for longevity. Creative of course, is not.
May 16, 2008 9:02:59 PM

Sorry guys, I guess I should have mentioned one thing here, I am in Canada, so the prices are not in sync with the US market, also for now I am looking for some thing in the $ 50 - $ 100 range or cheaper.

I will be investing on a better one in a month or two.
May 16, 2008 10:16:50 PM

cooljumbo2008 said:
Sorry guys, I guess I should have mentioned one thing here, I am in Canada, so the prices are not in sync with the US market, also for now I am looking for some thing in the $ 50 - $ 100 range or cheaper.

I will be investing on a better one in a month or two.

5.1 optical input for <=$100... ttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682911800... ...see the photos, there's TOSLINK adapters for the I/O.
May 16, 2008 11:55:11 PM

Have an x-fi elite pro ,when I first installed vista 64 bit on my present system had numerous problems but with Alchemy and the latest drivers it is working flawlessly (Alchemy for nwn and wow) :) 
May 17, 2008 12:02:05 AM

sailer said:
I have the ASUS card in one computer and a Creative X-Fi Platinum in another computer and I prefer Creative's X-Fi Platinum any day of the week. Creative also makes teh Elite Pro which is even better yet. You need to be careful when saying people recommend a particular card over "any Creative card", as Creative makes a large variety of cards.

You really shouldn't make yourself look like a complete moron. Grow some brain cells and use "search" in a search engine. There are hundreds of reviews, all the same, superior to **** x-fi cards.
http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/index.php?option=com_c...
http://www.insidehw.com/Reviews/Multimedia/Asus-Xonar-D...
http://techgage.com/article/asus_xonar_d2_sound_card/9

Next time, do research moron before trying to make a comment.
May 17, 2008 2:12:23 AM

computertech82 said:
You really shouldn't make yourself look like a complete moron. Grow some brain cells and use "search" in a search engine. There are hundreds of reviews, all the same, superior to **** x-fi cards.

Computertech, what kind of forum etiquette is that? Even if you disagree why lead everyone to think you're ignorant? Come on.
May 22, 2008 9:21:24 PM

So I decided to take the leap and buy the X-Fi Xtreme Audio for the PCI-Express. I was very reserved about its performance and compatibility with Vista 64 bit, after reading all the reviews. And I was not expecting much from this card, as long as it would give me decent sound, better than my onboard audio.

Vista detected the card and installed the drivers on its self, and it worked out of the box. No incompatibilities, no crackling popping, just worked. I proceeded to install the drivers that came with the sound card in a DVD. And to me surprise they actually worked including the Volume control, launcher and Media Source.

So I started playing around to see the sound quality, I was really impressed. The only issue I had with the given drivers was that when I connected my Toshiba HD-DVD player through a TOSLINK cable to the card's optical inpt, the sound card was only outputting Stereo Surround and not 5.1, still the sound was blowing me away when I was watching Transformers, with the sound coming through Creative P580 speakers.

I proceeded to install the drivers that were posted in the Creative Website for Vista 64 bit, and a quick restart and presto I have 5.1 coming through the speakers for my DVD player, for all movies.

So I guess for my reservation in buying this card I have to say I am surprised at its performance.

For spending $50 on the Sound card and $30 on the speakers, I am really happy with this setup.

I am going to upgrade to a full fledged HT Speaker with a proper receiver soon, but for now I am happy with this sound Card.
May 22, 2008 10:38:00 PM

Its refreshing to hear someone say something nice about Creative. I've had good experiences, myself with them, but by the things some people say, you'd think they could design something better than Creative has.
May 23, 2008 1:19:09 AM

Honestly I have been a fan of Creative since my first AWE64, and I doubt it if I would go with any thing else.

Yes they ran into a snag with the X-Fi and Vista, but honestly which hardware has not had run into a snag with Vista ? The issue is how they respond to it, and the fact that they were willing to listen to their customers and fans and come up with a solution, does show you that at in the end they were willing to make necessary updates and changes, even after a major public relation disaster.

At this point they have learnt their lesson, and I am hoping that Creative will not make the same mistake again, and I am willing to give Creative a chance to redeem itself as the leading Sound Card Manufacturer (yes I did sound like a Fan Boy)

So for now I am sticking to Creative.
May 23, 2008 4:49:03 AM

computertech82 said:

And in what way am I a moron? I have both cards, I have tried them on the same set of Z-5500 speakers, and the Creative X-Fi platinum sounds better. Yes, that is a use of brain cells. Its called making a comparison and thinking for one's self rather than accepting someone else's opinion. I don't need search engines and other people's opinions to make the statement that I prefer Creative's X-Fi Platinum over the ASUS card.
May 23, 2008 10:04:02 AM

Well put.
!