Secured wired and Open wireless with one internet connection

bathurst

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Hello,

What I am trying to achieve is secured wired network and an "open" wireless network with a single internet connection

I have the secured part (a dlink DI-624 with the wireless turned off - it is connected via ethernet to 2 computers) but what is the quick and easy way to add the wireless part of the equation (for the sole purpose of having roaming internet access around the house) without comprimising the secured wired element? Can I just plug a wireless router to the existing router?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

TonCharr28

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I'm assuming by "secure" you mean limited access, because access to your network is limited only to wired connections.

Yes, you can connect a wireless router to the existing router. Unfortunately, unless you place a password on the hotspot you'll create with the wireless router, people will be able to access your current "secure" network, as everything resolves to one router.

Your best bet is to secure your wireless router with WPA, then just give it to friends, loved ones, and other truested users who happen to visit your area.

bathurst

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Hi TonCharr28,

What I am trying to achieve is a wired network which is free-and-easy with drive and printer access, and then keep the wireless in an "internet access-only" zone.

I don't want the people accessing via wireless WPA to be able to get into the wired zone at all - basically, I want it to be impossible!

I'm sure that this separation can be achieved with various permissions and settings - but I was hopeful that it could be acheived simply with a two router scenario. I'm just an optimistic guy ;)

Perhaps this Zyxel router model is the simple way to do it...
http://www.buy.com/prod/zyxel-nbg334w-802-11g-dual-ssid-wireless-router-with-g202-802-11g-usb/q/loc/101/209366667.html

Thanks.

Computertech007

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009

Bathhurst,
You may want to think about making the first router the open wireless one then the second one is your wired secure one. That way there are no backdoors to come thru.