Sign in with
Your question

8800gts 512 oblivion problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 27, 2008 4:22:32 PM

Hello guys,

I am playing oblivion all maxed at 1680x1050, now am gettin extremely low FPS at times, as low as 11! Mostly outdoors, and this goes down to 8! When am by an oblivion gate! Am very puzzled by this because the rest of my system is fine!

e6750!
2gb ram
32 bit vista

All help would be appreciated!

THanks
April 27, 2008 7:11:08 PM

Edited from distraction. heheh The gates are the most intense, demanding areas of the game. It could be just too much maxxed out at 16x12. Turn down the shadows, it should be better, also go here http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html These tweaks allow for maximum performance without losing too much, or hardly noticeable eye candy
April 27, 2008 7:15:08 PM

This actually seems about right for that video card. Check out toms video card charts to verify. Also they are using the higher end 8800 GTS then you are as well. I would knock down the anti aliasing and that resolution to 1280 by 1024 and you would get much better performance.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-vga-charts/o...
Related resources
April 27, 2008 7:18:47 PM

Huh? The g80 GTS gets 23 FPS, what are you talking about njalterio?
April 27, 2008 7:22:27 PM

Yes it was rated for 23 FPS, however that number that is available on Tom's charts is an average. The OP mentioned that his gets AS LOW as 11/8....so the average would reasonably be around 20.

And like I pointed out initially, Toms hardware is testing it with the better version of the 8800 GTS.
April 27, 2008 7:26:48 PM

better version? the G80 is the older version, also, that res is 1600 x 1200, which is clearly higher than what the OP is playing at.
April 27, 2008 7:48:43 PM

Make sure in the Nvidia control panel you are not assigning high AA+AF to Oblivion, you can set it game by game if needed. I've gotten better results with my 8800 GT playing at 1600X1200.
April 27, 2008 8:14:51 PM

boonality said:
better version? the G80 is the older version, also, that res is 1600 x 1200, which is clearly higher than what the OP is playing at.

Leave it to the person who feels its necessary to buy an 1100w PSU to get his info wrong.. :sarcastic: 
April 27, 2008 8:55:21 PM

Stranger, do you have everything maxxed? Shadows etc? Im thinking its a setting issue
April 28, 2008 2:38:00 AM

dagger said:
For Oblivion, a stock g92 8800gts outperforms g80 8800ultra without aa, and performs on par with aa. See benchmark, scroll down to Oblivion.
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3175&p=3

Yeah, you can't go by one review though. Firingsquad tests a pretty demanding foliage section of the game and shows with fsaa an overclocked 8800GTS G92 can't touch a stock 8800GTX, never mind an ultra. IMO, while the GTS is an excellent Oblivion card, the 8800Ultra is without doubt the better Oblivion card. Of course, SLI kicks butt in the GPU demanding foliage. Like FS, I see near 100% SLI scaling in parts of Oblivion.
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_8800...
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_9800...

April 28, 2008 2:45:47 AM

Yeah, stranger, 19x12 with an X1900 does seem like you would need to tweak the settings. I know my X1950XT and 8800GTS 320MB could not come close to maxing 1650x1050 with 4xaa/16xaf. Most of the game sure, but not off pathways in the woods/foliage. All it took was a few tweaks of shadows, shadow filtering, and min grass height to get it playable with 2xaa/16xaf.

I'm surprised the OP sees 11 fps with the G92 GTS even if he has aa/af cranked and is running a high res texture mod. Something seems wrong there. But the game does stress both the GPU and CPU quite a bit, and a massive battle near an Oblivion gate is one of those low fps areas.
April 28, 2008 2:53:39 AM

njalterio said:
This actually seems about right for that video card. Check out toms video card charts to verify. Also they are using the higher end 8800 GTS then you are as well. I would knock down the anti aliasing and that resolution to 1280 by 1024 and you would get much better performance.

I don't think it would be a good idea to run a wide-screen monitor at that resolution...
April 28, 2008 8:09:00 AM

How about the AA and AF setting?
April 28, 2008 8:23:58 AM

Remember that Oblivion was 2006s Crysis, and its still a very demanding game. If youre using a SLI/CF setup, youre ok with everything maxxed, or maybe an Ultra at no higher than 16x10, but going higher res, or using a nice but not killer card, youre stretching it at 16x10 in some parts of the game. The Ultra with its 768mb ram and wider bus helps
April 28, 2008 8:34:58 AM

My 9600GT can run 8xAA 16xAF @1680x1050 if I turn external shadows off. Besides, you can't see the shadows much anyway. I still prefer no AA for better framerates though. The oblivion gates are pretty taxing that's for sure.
April 28, 2008 8:47:20 AM

Out of curiosity, what's up with the cat avatars? I think i've missed something since i've been overseas for a while.
April 28, 2008 8:49:03 AM

Alot of people want to be my clone, what can I say? :kaola: 
April 28, 2008 6:28:03 PM

ooh sorry for not replying back guys!

okee, my psu is an enermax liberty 620.

Oke guys this is getting very frustrating!, I am playing 1680*1050,

and this time i have maxed EVERYTHING, forced AA through nvidea software, AF! plus HDR. am getting about 10FPS, outdoor.

Something is not right?

One of the main reasons i went for a 8800GTS 512, was to max out oblivion!

If i had known so i would of gone, for the 3870X2 or 9800GX2
April 28, 2008 6:52:47 PM

when you guys use that high a resolution do you seriously see a difference when you enable AA?

Outdoor is still taxing on modern systems. I suppose with your settings that may be about right, but i play 1024x1280 no AA and everything runs fine. try cutting out the AA, I mean seriously is it really necessary or do you just like to know its on?
a b Î Nvidia
April 28, 2008 7:45:07 PM

tsd16 said:
when you guys use that high a resolution do you seriously see a difference when you enable AA?

Outdoor is still taxing on modern systems. I suppose with your settings that may be about right, but i play 1024x1280 no AA and everything runs fine. try cutting out the AA, I mean seriously is it really necessary or do you just like to know its on?

Seriously like everone is saying you have to turn down some settings. I have an old AGP rig with a X1650XT and a 3000+ and i can get 55 FPS at 1024X1280. thats max obviously but it dosent go below 35 ever.
Its just a matter of tweaking the settings, that link jaydeejohn gave you is very good. turning down the shadows and reflections wont make that much of a differance visually but will make a good deal of differance to the performance.
Mactronix
April 28, 2008 10:12:38 PM

tsd16 said:

AT 16x10 yes I see a difference. Admittedly, I am a bit of an FSAA junkie who fixates on the jaggies and allows that to distract from gameplay. But it's a mental thing too as I notice jaggies for sure, but it really only distracts my attention on my main gaming machine. If I am on a budget rig and expect jaggies, they jump out at me the same, but it doesn't bother me as much.
April 28, 2008 10:54:22 PM

dostanio said:
ooh sorry for not replying back guys!

okee, my psu is an enermax liberty 620.

Oke guys this is getting very frustrating!, I am playing 1680*1050,

and this time i have maxed EVERYTHING, forced AA through nvidea software, AF! plus HDR. am getting about 10FPS, outdoor.

Something is not right?

One of the main reasons i went for a 8800GTS 512, was to max out oblivion!

If i had known so i would of gone, for the 3870X2 or 9800GX2

Sounds to me like you bought an 8600GTS. :) 

Just kidding. What level of AA are you forcing? To be honest, true max details 4xaa/16xaf will be a stretch for your card. it should be playable, but you will expereice some low fps. I was an oblivion nut and have benched it to death. In some PM discussions of results with an 8800GTX owner I was told even the 8800GTX can struggle at 16x10 truedly maxed details and eye candy. This can be made worse with mods.

Can you capture a screenie with fps posted as an example? Also maybe a screenie of the map location so others can try the same game area. I'll try a single and dual 8800GT in that same area.

I think you should try 16x10 max details with no aa/af forced. See what framerates you are getting at both those settings. Enable 16xAF and test again. I can tell you with a stock clocked 8800GS, at 1600x1200 4xaa/16xaf, I can reduce the fps in waste high foliage to about 18 fps average, and not during combat even. Also, with an X2 5600+ at stock, I can reduce it to 12 fps minimums in cpu limited areas of the game, again not even during combat. Your system is better than that by far, but you may still be asking too much from it to not find some areas of slowdown. If it is widespread low fps, then something is wrong for sure. Do your fps start high and then suddenly go real low like a VRAM leak? At one time that was a problem with some NV cards/drivers in Oblivion.
April 28, 2008 11:16:32 PM

pauldh said:
Yeah, you can't go by one review though. Firingsquad tests a pretty demanding foliage section of the game and shows with fsaa an overclocked 8800GTS G92 can't touch a stock 8800GTX, never mind an ultra. IMO, while the GTS is an excellent Oblivion card, the 8800Ultra is without doubt the better Oblivion card. Of course, SLI kicks butt in the GPU demanding foliage. Like FS, I see near 100% SLI scaling in parts of Oblivion.
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_8800...
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_9800...

I don't trust those benchmarks. They show significant performance gap between different brands of the same card. Identical cards running identical stock clock rate should perform identically. There's no such thing as one brand outperforming another.

Another reason is other benchmarks do not duplicate those results, they duplicate the results from anandtech benchmark. Oblivion is often used for benchmarks. If no one duplicates a benchmark, it shouldn't be trusted. It's the internet, with a lot of people claiming a lot of things.

As for the low performance problem, are you using 170s beta Nvidia drivers? If so, try rolling back and see if it runs smoothly.
April 28, 2008 11:38:30 PM

SHow me the results that duplicate Anands results. And what results vary so much by brand with identical clocks?

I've been around a while and I'll tell ya I'd trust FS over Anand for many reasons that have been discussed here through the years. Also, Firingsquad had one of the most complete Oblivion performance comparisons on the net. They know that game, have benched/explore many parts of their game, and their foliage tests do a good job of stressing the GPU. Show me a site that runs 10 Fraps run of their Oblivion benchmark to assure an accurate average: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/oblivion_high-end_p...

But yes, comparing results from multiple sites to forma an opionion, and weeding out flawed testing is important.

April 28, 2008 11:44:06 PM

pauldh said:
SHow me the results that duplicate Anands results. And what results vary so much by brand with identical clocks?

I've been around a while and I'll tell ya I'd trust FS over Anand for many reasons that have been discussed here through the years. Also, Firingsquad had one of the most complete Oblivion performance comparisons on the net. They know that game, have benched/explore many parts of their game, and their foliage tests do a good job of stressing the GPU. Show me a site that runs 10 Fraps run of their Oblivion benchmark to assure an accurate average: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/oblivion_high-end_p...

But yes, comparing results from multiple sites to forma an opionion, and weeding out flawed testing is important.

I'm too lazy to try to find more benchmark just for argument. And yeah, the 65.2 - 61.5 fps difference isn't that high. But if those are the same cards with the same gpu running the same frequency, there shouldn't be any difference. It's as if they're advertising for ASUS. :p 
April 28, 2008 11:54:03 PM

dagger said:
I'm too lazy to try to find more benchmark just for argument. And yeah, the 65.2 - 61.5 fps difference isn't that high. But if those are the same cards with the same gpu running the same frequency, there shouldn't be any difference. It's as if they're advertising for ASUS. :p 

You are missing the beauty of firingsquad by not checking into their testing methods. They specify the clock speeds and show you exactly what to expect from the various factory overclocked cards. Why would they take the time to test 3 identically clocked cards? So your perceived inaccuracy can be explained if you take the time to look at their test system and the clocks of the cards they used.

Quote -

"ASUS EN8800GTS 512MB TOP (740MHz core/1035MHz memory)
EVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB (650MHz core/970MHz memory)
XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB XXX (678MHz core/986MHz memory)"

There's your 4 fps explanation. Right off the bat you should expect to see the Asus beat the XFX beat the evga, which is exactly what their results show. Firingsquad rocks for including so many cards in their reviews. And for not convieniently leaving certain tests out ;)  (some of you will get this).

edit: but notice even the OC'ed 8800GTS can't touch the 8800GTX in Oblivion with fsaa.

April 29, 2008 12:56:18 AM

That wasnt so [H]ard to get there Paul heheh
April 29, 2008 2:58:17 AM

Not too [H]ard, Anand don't forget to look elsewhere. :) 
April 29, 2008 3:02:14 AM

We can now vote on the usefulness of posts. Everybody is bad!
a b Î Nvidia
April 29, 2008 3:50:26 AM

I have no idea what you're talking about, but I don't understand the need for all these resolutions and AA settings. A single setting should be perfect for them all, and those that it's not good for should simply be omitted, I mean isn't that the way it's supposed to be benched? :whistle: 
April 29, 2008 3:58:06 AM

^
June 1, 2008 8:01:23 AM

I have the same problem as dostanio.

I've got a BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB fitted with custom cooling bringing it down to 50-60 degrees ingame.
Intel 6300 Conroe Core 2 Duo CPU
2GB 800MHz DDR2 ram.

6 months ago this system worked fine for me in oblivion. Maxed out almost everything and it ran fine.
Today I get 11fps in the jail cell that I start the game in.

And it gets worse.

I tried setting the grapics quality to "Very Low" and turning off V-sync, Effects: None and no distant stuff. 640*480 no AA. And get this. 11 FPS!
I then tried maxing everything. 1280*1024 "Ultra High" HDR Effects, No AA though, that's just crap. Still no V-sync.
Well, you guessed it. 11 FPS.

In both the cases above I get an FPS drop, down to 8 FPS whenever something other than me moves. Like a rat attacks me or something.
Speaking with characters gives me 3-4 FPS.

Oh and btw. My system does ~50 FPS on high settings in Crysis. So there's nothing generally wrong with it.
June 1, 2008 4:18:53 PM

ATI cards supposedly perform much better for Oblivion than nVidia's. nVidia performs much better for Crysis. Maybe the drivers you have create some sort of a problem or slow-down in Oblivion... still I find it hard to use that as an 'excuse' for such low FPS!!!
Maybe it is a mix of things, try uninstalling the game, then Defragment your hard-drive then re-install it. uninstall the video drivers to your old ones, and try it like that.
June 1, 2008 4:41:27 PM

The 8800GTs320 has been known for its memory leak, Im betting thats whats happened here. Ill bet also youve changed drivers since? Maybe go back to the older drivers which may have dealt with this issue better for this game
June 1, 2008 8:21:35 PM

After hours of tampering with the ini file I started getting desperate. So I turned off the music.
Bingo.
50-80 FPS outdoors

I guess somthings wrong with my X-Fi sound card.
June 1, 2008 9:28:12 PM

I set in front of oblivion gate on my 8800gs. 1440x900 2xAA 16xAF vsync on max quality with Qarl Texture Pack 3 and all kinds of mods to make it look pretty. 40-60fps depending where I'm looking it from.
June 2, 2008 2:27:46 AM

I've been playing Oblivion a lot lately with Qarl's Texture Pack 3 Redimized. I'm running an 8800GTS 512 currently @ 760 / 1090. Anyway. I notice that south of Cheydinal or however you spell it, where there's a lot of foliage, my card'll stutter for a sec when I'm loading new textures, and then it'll shoot back up. I've gotten down as low as 10fps for a split second, but then it'll go back up to 50 or 60. I've even set the memory clock to 1150 and saw the same problem. I know with Qarl's and AA, I've seen it get uncomfortably close to 500mb texture usage. I think 495mb was the highest I've seen it go.

Oh, and I game @ 1440x900, max sliders, everything on except HDR and Bloom, 4xAA, Qarl's 3 Redimized, OOO, and Natural Weather.

My system, overall is pretty similar to OPs.

AMD Athlon 6000+ @ 3.2ghz
Geforce 8800 GTS 512 @ 760/1090
2gb ddr2 667 sdram

his processor is faster, but the considerable OC on my card might make up for some of that.
June 2, 2008 5:40:07 PM

Onboard soundcards pull alot more power from the CPU. But this is getting off topic.
June 2, 2008 5:44:48 PM

Not these days. Maybe back in the days of Pentium 3 where onboard sound would eat cpu cycles. These days the CPU is strong enough that onboard won't make signicant difference in game performance.
June 12, 2008 10:28:48 AM

njalterio said:

No those numbers do not sound right for a 8800GTS 512Mb.
I am using that same video card in an E8400, 2GB DDR2 system, 1680x1050 monitor

With the GPU underclocked to 350/850/500 (core/shader/mem) - the lowest I can get it down to, and oblivion set to 1680x1050 max everything incl x8 AA, then I get around 26-30 fps around the oblivion gates while fighting.

Something is up with your GPU, system, or settings.

Edit: Why do I run it underclocked?? Because it can, I haven't got any game that doesn't run just as smoothly at underclock vs. stock vs. overclock. Great card!
!