Mini-missions

Hmm. RorShok is (naturally) stuck just before 20 - ran out of missions at
19.5, have four new contacts that won't talk to me until 20, MAN I'm sick
of this pattern! - so I'm street hunting him in south Skyway.

Thought I heard a glowie noise in one place and it made me think of
something. It's probably not original and posting it here is akin to
writing it on tissue and using it to blow my nose, but...

What about little pickup mini-missions? Randomly find little glowie
objects around the maps that lead to a small mission of some kind -
return a stolen purse, stop a business break-in, etc.? Much smaller than
a mission, but slightly bigger and more organized than the small street-
crime scenes? You could only have one at a time and it would be timed.

Echo... echo... echo... :)

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M

    Shenanigunner wrote:

    > What about little pickup mini-missions? Randomly find little glowie
    > objects around the maps that lead to a small mission of some kind -
    > return a stolen purse, stop a business break-in, etc.? Much smaller than
    > a mission, but slightly bigger and more organized than the small street-
    > crime scenes? You could only have one at a time and it would be timed.

    Statesman mentioned a few times that he wanted civilians to be able to run up
    to you on the street with missions like that.

    --
    Dennis F. Heffernan CoH: Venture (Virtue) hefferman@comcast.net
    #include <disclaim.h> MS Messenger: Venture

    "And I say now these kittens, they do not get trained/As we did in the days
    when Victoria reigned!" -- T.S. Eliot, "Gus, the Theatre Cat"
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:02:59 -0000, Shenanigunner
    <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> scribed into the ether:

    >Hmm. RorShok is (naturally) stuck just before 20 - ran out of missions at
    >19.5, have four new contacts that won't talk to me until 20, MAN I'm sick
    >of this pattern! - so I'm street hunting him in south Skyway.

    I find the best place for this is on Ithaca Island north of the "mainland"
    in Talos. 21-23 CoT, usually with a hostage. Good XP, excellent drop rate
    on DOs for building your SO nest egg, and lots of hostage rescue means lots
    of bonus influence from that. Groups spawn in 2s and 3s, usually 1 LT/2
    minions, or 3 minions. None of that BS with Lost Eremites or Troll
    ubermelee. Easy pickings.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    I totally agree.

    I'd like to see people :

    1) wanting to cross streets
    2) being chased by a group of villains
    3) running to you and pointing out a group that robbed them

    Or a villain group FINALLY getting away with a loot/purse/bag/case
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
    >> Hmm. RorShok is (naturally) stuck just before 20 - ran out of missions
    >> at 19.5, have four new contacts that won't talk to me until 20, MAN
    >> I'm sick of this pattern! - so I'm street hunting him in south Skyway.

    > I find the best place for this is on Ithaca Island north of the
    > "mainland" in Talos. 21-23 CoT, usually with a hostage. Good XP,
    > excellent drop rate on DOs for building your SO nest egg, and lots of
    > hostage rescue means lots of bonus influence from that. Groups spawn
    > in 2s and 3s, usually 1 LT/2 minions, or 3 minions. None of that BS
    > with Lost Eremites or Troll ubermelee. Easy pickings.

    I had forgotten where the good pickin's were, so I consulted an online
    chart and followed it to south Skyway. Was just about ideal: yellow Lost
    with a white or two, with the occasional solo orange Aberrant. Each a
    wholesome, filling snack leaving you energized for the next. :)

    Having Practiced Brawler (or Plasma Shield, or any of the hold/disorient
    debuffs) makes the Aberrants a lot easier. Definitely avoid them if you
    don't have such a power.

    But yes, I'm looking forward to a couple of levels of happy hunting in
    Talos now.

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 31 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F
    -= RorShok: Level 20 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M
    -= R A Heinlein: Level 19 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M
    -= Justice Server =-
    -= Jazz-Man: Level 8 Natural Blaster, AR/Devs, M
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/
    -= The UPDATED v1.00 Keybind & Macro Guide is now available!
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Ferd <ferd01@gmail.com> wrote:
    > I'd like to see people :

    > 1) wanting to cross streets

    Heh, imagine if you had to spend all of level 1 just helping little old
    ladies accross the street.

    G.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "Gavin Scott" <gavin@allegro.com> wrote in message
    > Ferd <ferd01@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> I'd like to see people :
    >
    >> 1) wanting to cross streets
    >
    > Heh, imagine if you had to spend all of level 1 just helping little old
    > ladies accross the street.

    More people would go through the tutorial...

    --
    John Trauger,
    Vorlonagent

    "Methane martini.
    Shaken, not stirred."

    chat: @vorlonagent

    Vorlonagent (M), level 30 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
    RolIing Thunder (F), Level 25 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
    NightfalI (M), Level 18 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
    Steel Night (M), Level 18 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
    MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
    lmpact (F), Level 16 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:18:32 GMT, "Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> scribed
    into the ether:

    >"Gavin Scott" <gavin@allegro.com> wrote in message
    >> Ferd <ferd01@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>> I'd like to see people :
    >>
    >>> 1) wanting to cross streets
    >>
    >> Heh, imagine if you had to spend all of level 1 just helping little old
    >> ladies accross the street.
    >
    >More people would go through the tutorial...

    Lots of people do anyway, for Isolator. The new version of the Tutorial on
    Test is fairly cool. The door mission that you get has more flavor with the
    Hero that you have to rescue. She's an Archery/Devices Blaster, and they
    even went through the trouble of giving her a backstory.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:18:32 GMT, "Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> scribed
    > into the ether:
    >

    >>"Gavin Scott" <gavin@allegro.com> wrote in message

    >>> Heh, imagine if you had to spend all of level 1 just helping little old
    >>> ladies accross the street.
    >>
    >>More people would go through the tutorial...
    >
    > Lots of people do anyway, for Isolator. The new version of the Tutorial on
    > Test is fairly cool. The door mission that you get has more flavor with
    > the
    > Hero that you have to rescue. She's an Archery/Devices Blaster, and they
    > even went through the trouble of giving her a backstory.

    I'll have to make one more character then. :)

    --
    John Trauger,
    Vorlonagent

    "Methane martini.
    Shaken, not stirred."

    chat: @vorlonagent

    Vorlonagent (M), level 30 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
    RolIing Thunder (F), Level 25 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
    NightfalI (M), Level 18 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
    Steel Night (M), Level 18 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
    MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
    lmpact (F), Level 16 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    "Ferd" <ferd01@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
    porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >I totally agree.
    >
    >I'd like to see people :
    >
    >1) wanting to cross streets
    >2) being chased by a group of villains
    >3) running to you and pointing out a group that robbed them
    >
    >Or a villain group FINALLY getting away with a loot/purse/bag/case

    What i've wanted pretty much since day 1 (well ok shortly after that)
    was _calls_.
    You've got a cell phone, why don't you get emergency calls?
    So maybe at level 1 you're helping old Mrs Brockner down the stairs or
    rescuing kittens from trees. You can work up to tougher jobs later.

    This kind of thing could be triggered much like the calls in GTA:SA,
    phone rings and you can answer if you want, or ignore the call if you're
    doing something already (or about to log off) -if you answer, you get a
    quick "emergency" mission.

    It makes sense that heroes would be "on call" sometime.

    For that matter it wouldn't even have to be normal heroic stuff, you
    might be called upon to deliver someone's prescription medication into a
    nasty area, super speeders might be asked to deliver pizza (it's got to
    be there in 20 minutes, and there's only 5 minutes left), electric
    blasters might be called to jump start a car, and so on.
    The only limit is imagination.

    Sure some of those things aren't exactly heroic, but heck, even Superman
    got cats out of trees - you can't always be defeating some ubermensch
    villain intent on destroying the universe.

    At least it would give some variety, not to mention, that since they'd
    tend to be short missions, they'd be perfect for people who can't play
    for a long time in any one session.

    Xocyll
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Vorlonagent wrote:
    > "Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message
    > > On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:18:32 GMT, "Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> scribed
    > > into the ether:
    > >

    > >>"Gavin Scott" <gavin@allegro.com> wrote in message

    > >>More people would go through the tutorial...
    > >
    > > Lots of people do anyway, for Isolator. The new version of the Tutorial on
    > > Test is fairly cool. The door mission that you get has more flavor with
    > > the
    > > Hero that you have to rescue. She's an Archery/Devices Blaster, and they
    > > even went through the trouble of giving her a backstory.
    >
    > I'll have to make one more character then. :)

    Unfortunately, like as not you'll meet her in the last room after
    Mission Complete and have no fun at all with this neat feature, which
    happened to me.

    --
    34Ard
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On 22 Jul 2005 13:01:05 -0700, "34Ard" <cerutti@trans-video.net> scribed
    into the ether:

    >Vorlonagent wrote:
    >> "Matt Frisch" <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in message
    >> > On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:18:32 GMT, "Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> scribed
    >> > into the ether:

    >> > Lots of people do anyway, for Isolator. The new version of the Tutorial on
    >> > Test is fairly cool. The door mission that you get has more flavor with
    >> > the
    >> > Hero that you have to rescue. She's an Archery/Devices Blaster, and they
    >> > even went through the trouble of giving her a backstory.
    >>
    >> I'll have to make one more character then. :)
    >>
    >Unfortunately, like as not you'll meet her in the last room after
    >Mission Complete and have no fun at all with this neat feature, which
    >happened to me.

    Which seems impossible, since she is hostage-like and guarded by 2 of the
    infected guys, and part of the mission is defeat all.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    > ...super speeders might be asked to deliver pizza (it's got to
    > be there in 20 minutes, and there's only 5 minutes left), electric
    > blasters might be called to jump start a car, and so on.

    This made me laugh until I had to go for a short walk.

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 31 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F
    -= RorShok: Level 20 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M
    -= R A Heinlein: Level 19 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M
    -= Justice Server =-
    -= Jazz-Man: Level 8 Natural Blaster, AR/Devs, M
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/
    -= The UPDATED v1.00 Keybind & Macro Guide is now available!
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    > On 22 Jul 2005 13:01:05 -0700, "34Ard" <cerutti@trans-video.net>
    > scribed into the ether:
    >>Unfortunately, like as not you'll meet her in the last room after
    >>Mission Complete and have no fun at all with this neat feature,
    >>which happened to me.
    >
    > Which seems impossible, since she is hostage-like and guarded by 2
    > of the infected guys, and part of the mission is defeat all.

    Happened to me too.

    She was in the last room upstairs off the hall.

    With the last to guys.

    At least she didn't go glowie hunting right away.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
    say:

    >Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    >> ...super speeders might be asked to deliver pizza (it's got to
    >> be there in 20 minutes, and there's only 5 minutes left), electric
    >> blasters might be called to jump start a car, and so on.
    >
    >This made me laugh until I had to go for a short walk.

    Glad to have brightened your day.

    Xocyll
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:28:48 GMT, Matt Frisch
    <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
    > On 22 Jul 2005 13:01:05 -0700, "34Ard" <cerutti@trans-video.net> scribed
    > into the ether:

    >> Unfortunately, like as not you'll meet her in the last room after
    >> Mission Complete and have no fun at all with this neat feature, which
    >> happened to me.
    >
    > Which seems impossible, since she is hostage-like and guarded by 2 of the
    > infected guys, and part of the mission is defeat all.

    She was in the last room, guarded by the last two guys, and didn't say a
    word until I had defeated them both, at which point I got the whole
    level-up and mission completed graphics before her speech bubble.
    Unintentionally funny, I am sure.

    good sign." -G
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:15:19 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:

    > What i've wanted pretty much since day 1 (well ok shortly after that)
    > was _calls_.
    > You've got a cell phone, why don't you get emergency calls?
    > So maybe at level 1 you're helping old Mrs Brockner down the stairs or
    > rescuing kittens from trees. You can work up to tougher jobs later.
    >
    > This kind of thing could be triggered much like the calls in GTA:SA,
    > phone rings and you can answer if you want, or ignore the call if you're
    > doing something already (or about to log off) -if you answer, you get a
    > quick "emergency" mission.
    >
    > It makes sense that heroes would be "on call" sometime.
    >
    > For that matter it wouldn't even have to be normal heroic stuff, you
    > might be called upon to deliver someone's prescription medication into a
    > nasty area, super speeders might be asked to deliver pizza (it's got to
    > be there in 20 minutes, and there's only 5 minutes left), electric
    > blasters might be called to jump start a car, and so on.
    > The only limit is imagination.
    >
    > Sure some of those things aren't exactly heroic, but heck, even Superman
    > got cats out of trees - you can't always be defeating some ubermensch
    > villain intent on destroying the universe.
    >
    > At least it would give some variety, not to mention, that since they'd
    > tend to be short missions, they'd be perfect for people who can't play
    > for a long time in any one session.

    I'm totally with you on this. Well, except the pizza delivery. Too much
    bad flashbacks from WoW, where a substantial part of my missions were the
    medieval equivalent of that. But if I got a call to hurry and bring a box
    of some rare medicine between from one hospital to another two train rides
    away, I'd be on the case in a heartbeat. What's the point of having
    superpowers if you can't use them to help the heroes who don't have them?

    good sign." -G
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> looked up from reading the entrails of

    >On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:15:19 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    >
    >> What i've wanted pretty much since day 1 (well ok shortly after that)
    >> was _calls_.
    >> You've got a cell phone, why don't you get emergency calls?
    >> So maybe at level 1 you're helping old Mrs Brockner down the stairs or
    >> rescuing kittens from trees. You can work up to tougher jobs later.
    >>
    >> This kind of thing could be triggered much like the calls in GTA:SA,
    >> phone rings and you can answer if you want, or ignore the call if you're
    >> doing something already (or about to log off) -if you answer, you get a
    >> quick "emergency" mission.
    >>
    >> It makes sense that heroes would be "on call" sometime.
    >>
    >> For that matter it wouldn't even have to be normal heroic stuff, you
    >> might be called upon to deliver someone's prescription medication into a
    >> nasty area, super speeders might be asked to deliver pizza (it's got to
    >> be there in 20 minutes, and there's only 5 minutes left), electric
    >> blasters might be called to jump start a car, and so on.
    >> The only limit is imagination.
    >>
    >> Sure some of those things aren't exactly heroic, but heck, even Superman
    >> got cats out of trees - you can't always be defeating some ubermensch
    >> villain intent on destroying the universe.
    >>
    >> At least it would give some variety, not to mention, that since they'd
    >> tend to be short missions, they'd be perfect for people who can't play
    >> for a long time in any one session.
    >
    >I'm totally with you on this. Well, except the pizza delivery. Too much
    >bad flashbacks from WoW, where a substantial part of my missions were the
    >medieval equivalent of that.

    Even Pizza Delivery could be heroic; Bad Guy X has taken hostages, and
    unless he gets a large #5 with extra cheese in 5 minutes, he's going to
    start killing them.

    Mostly I was trying to think of things that heroes, especially newbie
    heroes, could do that weren't necessarily standard heroics but were
    things their powers could help with.

    Like an Ice blaster/controller keeping the Dixie Dee Van cold so the
    kids don't miss out on their ice cream.
    Or the electric blaster filling in as an emergency generator for a
    hospital so a critical operation can take place.
    Or...
    There's likely _thousands_ of possible missions like this.

    >But if I got a call to hurry and bring a box
    >of some rare medicine between from one hospital to another two train rides
    >away, I'd be on the case in a heartbeat. What's the point of having
    >superpowers if you can't use them to help the heroes who don't have them?

    Bingo.

    Not to mention, to help the normal people of the city OTHER than by
    defeating Villain X.

    Some of those civilians have been rescued from villains so many dozens
    of times they probably hardly notice which hero is doing it now. But
    they'll damn well remember the electric blaster that provided power so
    Aunt Martha's triple bypass surgery could take place.
    Or the ice guy that stopped the rink from melting so the playoffs could
    happen.

    Xocyll
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    > There's likely _thousands_ of possible missions like this.

    Yeah... but if there's too much of it, we have City of Mystery Men. :P

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 31 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F
    -= RorShok: Level 20 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M
    -= R A Heinlein: Level 19 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M
    -= Justice Server =-
    -= Jazz-Man: Level 8 Natural Blaster, AR/Devs, M
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/
    -= The UPDATED v1.00 Keybind & Macro Guide is now available!
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
    say:

    >Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    >> There's likely _thousands_ of possible missions like this.
    >
    >Yeah... but if there's too much of it, we have City of Mystery Men. :P

    You say that as if it would be a bad thing, and as if that's not
    somewhat true already with the thousands of heroes in one city.

    At least this kind of mission could be a) accomplished by even the most
    badly built, newbie, gimped character and b) would actually have some
    bearing on your actual AT powers as the normal missions don't.

    Sure, maybe jump starting the Mayor's car isn't an exciting mission, but
    at least it's something that _only_ an electric blaster could do, vs the
    overly generic missions that don't care what powers are used by the
    player(s).

    I'm sure mind controllers (for example) would just love to have the
    occasional mission that ONLY a mind controller could do.

    Xocyll
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    > I'm sure mind controllers (for example) would just love to have the
    > occasional mission that ONLY a mind controller could do.

    Stand outside voting stations for the Mayor? :P

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 31 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F
    -= RorShok: Level 21 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M
    -= R A Heinlein: Level 19 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M
    -= Justice Server =-
    -= Jazz-Man: Level 8 Natural Blaster, AR/Devs, M
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/
    -= The UPDATED v1.00 Keybind & Macro Guide is now available!
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 10:25:12 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:

    > Even Pizza Delivery could be heroic; Bad Guy X has taken hostages, and
    > unless he gets a large #5 with extra cheese in 5 minutes, he's going to
    > start killing them.

    Isn't that supposed to be Hostess Twinkies?

    good sign." -G
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in

    > Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    >> I'm sure mind controllers (for example) would just love to have the
    >> occasional mission that ONLY a mind controller could do.
    >
    > Stand outside voting stations for the Mayor? :P

    That's in Chicago, not Paragon.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
    say:

    >Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    >> I'm sure mind controllers (for example) would just love to have the
    >> occasional mission that ONLY a mind controller could do.
    >
    >Stand outside voting stations for the Mayor? :P

    Wasn't quite what I had in mind, but you raise a good point.
    Telepaths scanning voters to make sure they _are_ legit.

    Xocyll
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> looked up from reading the entrails of

    >On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 10:25:12 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Even Pizza Delivery could be heroic; Bad Guy X has taken hostages, and
    >> unless he gets a large #5 with extra cheese in 5 minutes, he's going to
    >> start killing them.
    >
    >Isn't that supposed to be Hostess Twinkies?

    I've only seen one link between comic heroes and Twinkies.
    http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp06062003.shtml

    I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want _that_ superspeeder delivering ANY kind
    of foodstuff to me.

    Xocyll
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 14:13:58 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    > Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> looked up from reading the entrails of
    > the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    >> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 10:25:12 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Even Pizza Delivery could be heroic; Bad Guy X has taken hostages, and
    >>> unless he gets a large #5 with extra cheese in 5 minutes, he's going to
    >>> start killing them.
    >>
    >> Isn't that supposed to be Hostess Twinkies?
    >
    > I've only seen one link between comic heroes and Twinkies.
    > http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp06062003.shtml
    >
    > I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want _that_ superspeeder delivering ANY kind

    I'm probably showing my age here, but in days of yore there were ads in
    several American superhero magazines in which the villain was distracted
    with Hostess Twinkies. It's an actual product, though I'm sure girl scouts
    with cookies could have done better.

    good sign." -G
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> wrote:
    > I'm probably showing my age here, but in days of yore there were ads
    > in several American superhero magazines in which the villain was
    > distracted with Hostess Twinkies. It's an actual product, though I'm
    > sure girl scouts with cookies could have done better.

    Uh, Twinkies are extremely common here, part of the culture and vernacular,
    albeit not in an entirely favorable light. Google up "Twinkie defense" and
    you'll get some notion of the heights of idiocy with which they're
    regarded.

    Translation of the first part, for the younger crowd: "Ha ha HA, Captain
    Domination, I will now crush the Earth in my grasp... Oooh, DONUTS!"

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 31 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F
    -= RorShok: Level 21 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M
    -= R A Heinlein: Level 19 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M
    -= Justice Server =-
    -= Jazz-Man: Level 8 Natural Blaster, AR/Devs, M
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/
    -= The UPDATED v1.00 Keybind & Macro Guide is now available!
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> looked up from reading the entrails of

    >On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 14:13:58 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    >> Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> looked up from reading the entrails of
    >> the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >>> Isn't that supposed to be Hostess Twinkies?
    >>
    >> I've only seen one link between comic heroes and Twinkies.
    >> http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp06062003.shtml
    >>
    >> I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want _that_ superspeeder delivering ANY kind
    >
    >I'm probably showing my age here, but in days of yore there were ads in
    >several American superhero magazines in which the villain was distracted
    >with Hostess Twinkies. It's an actual product, though I'm sure girl scouts
    >with cookies could have done better.

    I'm probably as ol, but I don't remember those - I never paid much
    attention to those ads anyway.

    I do have vague recollections of O.J. Simpson Cowboy boot ads in them
    though. Funny how that turned out.

    Xocyll
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    >Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> looked up from reading the entrails of
    >the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    >
    >>On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 14:13:58 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
    >>> Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> looked up from reading the entrails of
    >>> the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >>> I've only seen one link between comic heroes and Twinkies.
    >>> http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp06062003.shtml
    >>>
    >>> I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want _that_ superspeeder delivering ANY kind
    >>
    >>I'm probably showing my age here, but in days of yore there were ads in
    >>several American superhero magazines in which the villain was distracted
    >>with Hostess Twinkies. It's an actual product, though I'm sure girl scouts
    >>with cookies could have done better.
    >
    >I'm probably as ol, but I don't remember those - I never paid much
    >attention to those ads anyway.
    >
    >I do have vague recollections of O.J. Simpson Cowboy boot ads in them
    >though. Funny how that turned out.
    >
    >Xocyll

    The internet means never having to miss kitschy pop-culture from
    yesteryear:

    http://www.seanbaby.com/hostess.htm

    Enjoy!

    (Yes, those were all *real* ads...)

    --
    Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / doc@america.net
    http://www.autographedcat.com/ / http://autographedcat.livejournal.com/

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:39:56 -0000, Shenanigunner
    <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

    >Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> wrote:
    >> I'm probably showing my age here, but in days of yore there were ads
    >> in several American superhero magazines in which the villain was
    >> distracted with Hostess Twinkies. It's an actual product, though I'm
    >> sure girl scouts with cookies could have done better.
    >
    >Uh, Twinkies are extremely common here, part of the culture and vernacular,
    >albeit not in an entirely favorable light. Google up "Twinkie defense" and
    >you'll get some notion of the heights of idiocy with which they're
    >regarded.
    >
    >Translation of the first part, for the younger crowd: "Ha ha HA, Captain
    >Domination, I will now crush the Earth in my grasp... Oooh, DONUTS!"

    yes I always though Twinkies had a half life as opposed to an
    expiration date
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    The artist formerly Known as Bruce In Cleveland
    <brucemorrison216@sbclgobal.invalid.net> wrote:
    > yes I always though Twinkies had a half life as opposed to an
    > expiration date

    Not true, actually - they have one of the shorter shelf lives of such
    things. Strange but true. No one's sure where the "Twinkies have the shelf
    life of gravel" thing started.

    --
    -= Victory Server =-
    -= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M
    -= Sgt Glory B: Level 31 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F
    -= Mr Cellophane: Level 21 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M
    -= R A Heinlein: Level 19 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M
    -= Justice Server =-
    -= Jazz-Man: Level 8 Natural Blaster, AR/Devs, M
    -= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/
    -= The UPDATED v1.00 Keybind & Macro Guide is now available!
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.coh (More info?)

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 04:19:00 GMT, The artist formerly Known as Bruce In
    Cleveland <brucemorrison216@sbclgobal.invalid.net> scribed into the ether:

    >On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:39:56 -0000, Shenanigunner
    ><shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:
    >
    >>Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> wrote:
    >>> I'm probably showing my age here, but in days of yore there were ads
    >>> in several American superhero magazines in which the villain was
    >>> distracted with Hostess Twinkies. It's an actual product, though I'm
    >>> sure girl scouts with cookies could have done better.
    >>
    >>Uh, Twinkies are extremely common here, part of the culture and vernacular,
    >>albeit not in an entirely favorable light. Google up "Twinkie defense" and
    >>you'll get some notion of the heights of idiocy with which they're
    >>regarded.
    >>
    >>Translation of the first part, for the younger crowd: "Ha ha HA, Captain
    >>Domination, I will now crush the Earth in my grasp... Oooh, DONUTS!"
    >
    >yes I always though Twinkies had a half life as opposed to an
    >expiration date

    Which is an urban legend. Actual shelf life of a twinkie is measured in
    weeks, not decades.

Video Games