Sign in with
Your question

Western Digital Cavier Black v.s. Seagate 7200.12

Last response: in Storage
June 20, 2009 12:31:54 AM

What's the better drive considering the performance and reliability? Cavier Black or Seagate 7200.12? How about Cavier Green? Thanks.
a b G Storage
June 20, 2009 6:35:24 AM

Currently, the 7200.12 is the fastest. As for reliability, Seagate had some issues with the 7200.11 that should have been fixed with the 7200.12 drives. The .12s haven't been out long enough to know for sure though.
June 20, 2009 6:57:54 AM

cjl said:
Currently, the 7200.12 is the fastest. As for reliability, Seagate had some issues with the 7200.11 that should have been fixed with the 7200.12 drives. The .12s haven't been out long enough to know for sure though.

so which one would you choose if you are getting one? Thank you!
Related resources
June 20, 2009 6:58:58 AM

7200.12, Cavier Black or Cavier Green?
a c 353 G Storage
June 20, 2009 4:51:51 PM

tough call but My vote leans toward the WD (normally a Seagate fan) at this time. Don't think in real life you will see a big difference between the 3 - Read link.

Was on the fence between the WD Black 640 and the Seagate -12 ( 500 or 750 Gig). Bought the 2 WDs a 3 - 4 wks ago (Put in raid 0 config with win 7 rc)

Was going to go ahead and get a pair of -12's just so I could "SEE" for myself any diff. However I just read http://techreport.com/articles.x/16472/11 (Compliments of Shoch312). From a electronics point of view, I would have used a current probe and o'scope for power measurements. This would have shown inrush current and if drive produced noise.

Coupled with MY perception on reliability, I am going to hold off. The 1/2 eggs at newegg favor the WD. Must keep in mind:
(1) Newegg appeared to have had a packing problem (Think they fixed based on complaints). However this factor should be applied equally.
(2) Troll factor. Several of the -12 Posts appear invalid as lenght of ownership predated release of -12.

cji - Think they improved reliability, but not a given yet. On performace
Quote from conclussion of link makes me wonder (thought it was a given on performance and my only hold back was reliability)

"Flashes of brilliance followed by otherwise dismal performance is sort of a theme for the new 'cuda. The drive fared better than any other in our iPEAK multitasking tests, but it stumbled spectacularly when faced with multi-user IOMeter loads. And at more than 17ms, the 7200.12's random access time is slower than, well, any other desktop drive we've tested. Ever. What's worse, there's no way for users to defy Seagate's factory programming and shift the drive out of its noise-optimized "quiet" seek mode."
!