Sign in with
Your question

Windows Vista won't Boot

Last response: in Windows Vista
July 2, 2012 2:32:52 AM

Hello,

My computer won't start. When I press the power button the green light comes on. The CD ROM light flashes. I hear fans spinning. No POST beep. No error messages (in fact the monitor reads "No signal"),the monitor is blank. The HDD amber light does not come on so I assume Windows is not being loaded.

This problem is intermitant. It booted for me 4 out of 12 times.

System is a Compaq Presario SR5350f running Windows Vista.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

More about : windows vista boot

July 2, 2012 5:23:40 AM

it sounds like you have some kind of hardware problem. you would have to start replacing components one at a time to determine the culprit. It could be the power supply, motherboard, cpu, etc.
m
l
July 3, 2012 12:15:41 AM

Thats what I kind of expected to hear. I think I can rule out the Hard Drive though because that usually would produce an error something like ntldr files not found or the like. Am I correct in that thought? I have a power supply tester and that tested OK so I have also ruled that out.

I am not sure how to test the RAM CPU or Motherboard; I don't have that kind of equipment. Any suggestions on how to move forward?

Thanks your response has been helpful I really appreciate it.
m
l
Related resources
July 3, 2012 3:17:12 PM

Need to swap out known good parts to see what is going on. Easiest to do is the RAM. I'd try a different power supply also, either that or the motherboard if you are pretty sure the power supply is good.

This issue seems like it's from the motherboard, I have ran into may systems with bad capacitors that do pretty much what yours does.
m
l
July 9, 2012 1:34:22 AM

As I stated it doesn't boot intermitantly; I have found that time after time when it does boot properly I have held in the power button for a second or two longer and there is no problem. If I press and release it quickly like one would with any other computer it won't boot properly. Compaq makes it pretty hard to remove that front bezel plate without braking it so I can't really get in there to see whats up behind the scene.
m
l
July 9, 2012 3:06:10 PM

You need to reseat the power connection, but if it boots all the time with a longer press, just do that.
m
l
!