Just got 4 gig Reapers. Any suggestions to increase speed?

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
Here is my CPU-z:

cpiu.jpg

Let me know what I can change to get performance boosts:p

I did what I could on my own, anymore and I'd break my computer it was frustrating hahaha

Like what I noticed is that, when I had the Latency low, and the timings at 4-3-3-6 -t2 @ 820mhz (410 mhz), is that the load times in games were faster.

After when I increased the Bandwidth to 1066, the timings stayed stable at 5-4-3-6. Cinebench scores are higher here, but the load times seems to be longer, while Fps is a little higher (3dMark06)

Any suggestions???

P.S

before I had 4 gigs ( 1 gig x's 4) and Vista 64 rated it at 5.8 (slightly oced 5.9) now my Vista score is 5.6:S

Any1 know why?

Thank you!

Speed looks good for PC6400, you are just less than PC8500 which a few of the better 800Mhz. DIMMs will surpass. Of course loosen the timings and crank up the voltage for more 'speed' and greater data transfer rates. You didn't mention your voltages. OCZ is notorious for needing a bump up in Northbridge voltage. NB to 1.5v and RAM voltage to 2.2ish+ with timings at 5-5-5-18 may get you above 1066Mhz.

Mondoman

Splendid
Your memory throughput is limited by the FSB anyway, so any memory bus speed faster than DDR2-533 (in dual-channel mode) or DDR2-1066 (in single-channel mode) won't result in much if any increased performance.

doomturkey

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Yeah, you might want to take down your memory speed and make timings as tight as possible due to FSB limitations. I think if you run it @ a ratio of 1:1 this will sync it with the FSB.

EDIT: Vista scores are BS. Don't worry about them.

L1qu!d if you lower the speed to 800MHz the data transfer rate is reduced to 6.4 GB/sec. If you leave the 'speed' at 1066MHz. the data transfer rate of your RAM to processor will be 8.5 GB per second.

Memory dividers. Your MB BIOS provides dividers that allow the RAM speed to be adjustable and at the same time syncronize with the system BUS, which the CPU speed is dependent upon or vise versa. The RAM has dividers to adjust the data transfer rate or speed. Running your RAM at 8.5 GB/sec. transfer rate will make the data held in your RAM transfer between RAM and CPU more efficiently or faster if you will. You can achieve faster RAM data transfer rates by using the MB RAM dividers within the system BUS.

A one to one ratio is like forcing the RAM to run on the system BUS at a 'safe' data transfer rate and not get 'out of hand' with posted speed limits or something. Like the CPU is gonna call out the RAM data transfer rate police and hand out a speeding ticket or something. The processor can't handle data speeds of 8.5 GB/sec. of RAM data being thrown it's way, but can handle 5.3? Like it has to be 1:1 or 5.3 GB/sec. or RAM speed or capability is wasted.

You will have to reduce the speed at which your RAM is capable of transfering data within the system BUS to achieve a 1:1 ratio. You don't need PC6400 then. PC5300 at transfer rates of 5.3 GB/sec. will be better for your CPU working within the system BUS? The argument has been going on for the 3+ years I have been around these parts.

Why don't you do some benches. 1:1 PC5300 speed. Then at PC8500 speed with a divider.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
Well I did some benches, and gaming performance went down, because my cpu was clocked at 2.4.

3Dmark06 went down to around 14k from 18k

While Crysis dropped from 78 to 64 fps (Bench tool)

Loading takes longer (most noticeable in 3Dmark loading screens.

I think I'm going to keep it at

3.6 ghz and 1066 mhz 5-4-3-5.

I mean it does run alot smoother:p

But Thank you soo much you've been ACE helpful, I've been notcing these articles like you said for a couple of years, and still haven't got a straight answer.

In most cases Higher timings won by 1-4%, but for me its the other way around.

I see my RAM speed is adjustable within my system BUS. A divider is needed to attain the higher RAM data transfer rates within the system BUS. I will use a divider any day to attain higher RAM speed within the system (BUS). Well anyway, you bought PC6400 and have it running at PC8500. I'd say that's awesome.