Your question

Q6600 on stock cooling??

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Cooling
Last response: in Overclocking
December 31, 2008 4:59:41 AM

I know that's a vague question, but I have been told more often than I was expecting to hear, that I should be able to overclock my Q6600 to 2.8ghz without modding my cooling at all.

I am VERY new to this whole thing, but I do have a decent grasp on what all is involved. There are a few things I'll mention first..

Vista 32bit
2GB ram (I'm pretty sure it's only 667mhz DDR2)
And the flamethrower of a videocard, the HD4870 (idles around 78*C)

I simply do NOT wanna modify my cooling system at all, so if that means 2.4 ghz - 2.4 it is, then.

As a baseline, with the HD4870 idling, I ran Prime95 for only 5 minutes straight and stopped it because one of my cores was at 60*C. I have NO clue how long it's supposed to take the cores to heat up under load like that but I would think that if I'm hitting 60* after 5 minutes of 100% loading, then maybe I shouldn't overclock it at all. At idle, the 4 cores are between 28 and 31*.

I've heard from others that I'll be fine. I guess I'm just looking for some more educated opinions here, if that's cool. Thanks!!

Dave

More about : q6600 stock cooling

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2008 12:13:44 PM

What motherboard do you have? That is what Overclocks' your CPU.

Generally a stock Intel cooler can get you to around 2.8ghz or so.

60C is still good. I wouldn't worry unless those temps reach 70C.
December 31, 2008 2:45:16 PM

I wish I knew, but I have no clue. It came with my computer, hehe... I have an Acer AM5630-u5209A. I bought it brand-new about 11 months ago on sale for about $350, which I thought was a great deal for a functioning Desktop with a 500gb hard drive, 2 gigsRAM, and a a Q6600 to boot.

All I've done to it is add an X-Fi (gamer), a BFG 650watt psu, and the HD4870. (I had an old Geforce 7600gs in there but obviously it was time to upgrade, that card came out of my old tower)

I've tried researching this online but can't seem to come up with any solid answers... got any ideas where to look?

Dave
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2008 2:54:05 PM

You got an OEM computer. Chances are you can't overclock it. OEMs tend to lock down their BIOS.

Have you gone into your BIOS to see what options you have for overclocking?
December 31, 2008 5:45:28 PM

You know what - you're right, I just went in there and all of the information is there, but unselectable. Guess I'm at 2.4 then!

Thanks for the help though, I'll do some more research anyway, it's probably good to know this kinda crap anyhow. Thanks again!

Dave

EDIT - for reference, this model of the mobo is EG31M. I have looked around and there ARE people who are overclocking with this mobo, so I don't know what I'm missing, but I am pretty ignorant to this kinda stuff.

December 31, 2008 6:07:14 PM

Those people probably have a motherboard with that chipset that isn't locked down in the BIOS.
December 31, 2008 6:08:37 PM

Unrelated to your OCing woes, download ATI Tray Tools.

When you install it, allow OCing to allow the fan speed adjustment.

After you install it, right click on the icon by the clock. Click on Hardware -> Overclocking Settings and click on the Fan tab.

Set your fan profile and click load selected profile at startup.

Let me know if you have problems. There are other programs, but that one is the easiest to deal with, that I know of. I believe that you can also fix it in the bloated CCC, but I prefer ATI Tray Tools.

FIX THAT VGA FAN SPEED!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 31, 2008 6:23:32 PM

Damage INC said:
You know what - you're right, I just went in there and all of the information is there, but unselectable. Guess I'm at 2.4 then!

Thanks for the help though, I'll do some more research anyway, it's probably good to know this kinda crap anyhow. Thanks again!

Dave

EDIT - for reference, this model of the mobo is EG31M. I have looked around and there ARE people who are overclocking with this mobo, so I don't know what I'm missing, but I am pretty ignorant to this kinda stuff.

As Myterman said, it's not the chipset that is the problem. It's your BIOS. Acer locks it down. Mostly it's because they have to honor warranty, and it doesn't pay to allow overclocking as, folks will be doing all kinds of stuff to it, break it, then want a replacement.
December 31, 2008 6:33:18 PM

Believe me, I know how that goes - I'm a Ford Lincoln Mercury tech, been doing it for 7 years. When the Lightnings came out with a blower on them from the factory, we had people swapping upper and lower pulleys out (resulting in more boost and ulitmately, more power) like crazy and then they'd be furious when we'd decline to warranty their smoked transmission or melted pistons, hehe.

(Funny, the stock ones NEVER had any problems at all but 'it's Ford's fault' when the guy with a 550hp pickup truck shows up on a flatbed)

And it's really not even that they couldn't take the power either, it's because they weren't properly tuned and/or put together after the mods were done. The extra load without proper preparation will always end up in an expensive repair bill.

It'd be the equivalent of bumping your Q6600 to 3.6ghz on stock cooling and complaining to Intel when it overheats, hehe.

Dave

December 31, 2008 7:14:41 PM

Did you install ATI Tray Tool? It will bring your temps down fast. The stock speeds are way to slow.
January 8, 2009 4:52:34 PM

i would insted of ATI tray tool suggest rivatuner which has much greater custimsation and more options.
a c 96 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 13, 2009 5:25:53 PM

Damage INC said:
Believe me, I know how that goes - I'm a Ford Lincoln Mercury tech, been doing it for 7 years. When the Lightnings came out with a blower on them from the factory, we had people swapping upper and lower pulleys out (resulting in more boost and ulitmately, more power) like crazy and then they'd be furious when we'd decline to warranty their smoked transmission or melted pistons, hehe.

(Funny, the stock ones NEVER had any problems at all but 'it's Ford's fault' when the guy with a 550hp pickup truck shows up on a flatbed)

And it's really not even that they couldn't take the power either, it's because they weren't properly tuned and/or put together after the mods were done. The extra load without proper preparation will always end up in an expensive repair bill.

It'd be the equivalent of bumping your Q6600 to 3.6ghz on stock cooling and complaining to Intel when it overheats, hehe.

Dave

OK with the oem acer EG31M ver. 1.0 Mother board the only way to over clock it from my knowledge is doing a BSEL mod to over clock. i to have the same mother board. i have not found a program that would bypass the bios to allow over clocking the possessor. None of the programs mentioned here will help with over clocking but maybe they could help with your prossessor fan speed.
my case (AM5630) only came with the prossessor fan. I installed a case fan and a Antec 650 W PSU with a 4 1/2 inch fan. the combination of these two keep this case very cool. The only way i have been able to speed up the CPU fan was in the bios. By doing this it sets the fan at full speed but DARN noisy!! They do sell fan speed controllers out there, for you this may be the way to go to find the speed and noise level you want or need.

system ACER AM5630_u5202a
MOBO Acer EG31M version 1.0
Hitachi 500GB hdd
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz
BFG 9800 GTX+ 1 GB ram factory OC*
Infineon 3 GB DDR2-SDRAM (333MHz) - (DDR2-666)
Antec PSU EA-650W w/ 4-1/2 inch fan *
Antec case fan 80mm blue led*
Intel chip set G31
bios American Megatrends Inc.

* are parts that have been replace by my self.
April 8, 2011 5:24:36 PM

HI dave i have the same motherboard, do you have cpu-z if not, get it. im my bios options on my mobo i have a selection called MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.) do you have that in your bios? I think you should being we have the same mobo and i also have a q6600 i got oc'd last night to a 3.0ghz. IF you have that Tweaker option in bios let me know, and i will let you know what mine looks like :) 

Oh Snaps i see a Acer eg31m i have a gigabyte eg31m sorry for the confusion.
a c 96 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 10, 2011 12:01:11 AM

the ACER EG31M mother board has a bios update that allows for over clocking by minipulating the FSB. I know this thread is old but it may help some one in the future.

the bios version you need is R01-C2
October 11, 2011 9:17:37 PM

bgunner said:
the ACER EG31M mother board has a bios update that allows for over clocking by minipulating the FSB. I know this thread is old but it may help some one in the future.

the bios version you need is R01-C2

Where would one find this update?
!