Sign in with
Your question

Will my 300 Watt power supply run this setup?

Last response: in Components
May 17, 2008 7:31:46 AM

Hey guys, I've been figuring out what system I want to purchase, and I've finalized my decision. However, I have one last piece... the Power Supply

Linky:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250381-28-does-mother...

Let me know what you guys think:
May 17, 2008 9:33:37 AM

Assuming it can provide close to the 300w it says, it would work. I don't like the brand, it is low quality, but if it needs to get you by to stay in budget, it will hold. I would replace it if/when possible, it isn't likely to last too long. The PSU is an important component and shouldn't be skimped out on. I've had cheap PSUs damage computers before WHEN they die. Get a nice FSP or Antec Earthwatts when they are on sale. Should be able to get 370-450w for less than $50. That would provide more then enough power.
May 17, 2008 9:43:21 AM

nvalhalla said:
Get a nice FSP or Antec Earthwatts when they are on sale. Should be able to get 370-450w for less than $50. That would provide more then enough power.

So I can purchase from 370-450w range? that sounds perfect.

What about putting into consideration, overclocking?

I'm going to overclock in the future, so would this range still be sufficient?
Related resources
May 17, 2008 10:02:27 AM

nvalhalla said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This is a good deal on a great PSU if you can wait for the MIR

I overclocked my 2140 1.6GHz to 2.8 and used a 3850 overclocked as well with this very PSU. More than enough power.

Nicee.. so this is the good stuff and should work with my setup.

Although I've noticed its less Watts than the model I listed.
But its still better correct?
May 17, 2008 10:15:50 AM

380w will only be a problem if you want dual GFX cards. 3870X2 or 9800GX2 for example. Then 380 would be cutting it close. If you plan to do that go with the 450w Corsair mentioned in the other thread.
May 17, 2008 10:30:09 AM

Time and time again I see guys come on the forums and complain about power troubles. Invariably they picked the PSU last when they ran out of budget. Hit the PSU sticky, read some reviews (HardOCP), use a PSU calculator, then buy a PSU that is efficient, with just a bit more power than you need right now. Then you can use it for your next system, and you money will be well spent.
!