Good enough PSU to run my 8800GTS (G92) system?

Rific

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
System is as follows

8800 GTS (G92)
4gb (2 x 2gb) Corsair XMS Ram
P35 Motherboard
E6750 Core 2 Duo
320gb Samsung SPinpoint
120 GB Backup Drive
DVD Burner

I am pretty much capped at the moment for money so i cant really afford a corsair, unless any of you know a good case thats cheaper then the antec 300.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153052

The only reason I am hesitant is because it has 29A on the 12v rails, but if this is fine enough to run my computer I dont plan on adding anything else to it or overclocking.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
My last build I started with the PSU and worked my way up from it.
I started with this, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703005
As a PSU ages it looses power, while needing more to make it.
I would start with a more efficient PSU, at a higher wattage/amp rating.
One of the things I like about Newegg is that they make it easy to buy parts when you have the cash to do it.
Look at the PSU sticky here on toms and check out some of the PSU reviews on Hard OCP, I think they do some of the best PSU reviews around.

Don't skimp on the PSU.

royalcrown

Distinguished
That power supply is pretty heavy on the 3.3 and 5v rails and too light on the 12v rails...it'd prob run it, but get something lighter on the 3 and 5 and heaver on the 12...

sailer

Splendid
I like the TT Toughpower series and they rate as being good, starting with the 600wt size. The Purepower is not so good. Note that the efficiency is less than 70%, which means a lot of its power is going up in heat. The Toughpowers have efficiency ratings that are over 80%, which means less heat produced and less money spent powering them, so the extra money spent on one will come back in electricity savings.

The PC P&C series are also good, as well as Seasonics and some others. You can check the PSU tier listings for exact recommendations and also read through jonnyguru.com to see tests on individual PSUs. As others have said, don't skimp on the PSU. Its the heart of the system, and if you install a weak heart, you're asking for future troubles.

TurdBurglar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005

The FSP has two 18A rails, yes... but the max combined output on the two rails is only 360W or 30A. That is 11A (132W) less than the 41A 12V rail output of the Corsair unit.

royalcrown

Distinguished

Well ya, I was going for in the same price range...Me I'd get that corsair 750 w 62 amps on 1 rail...screw it !

Rific

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
ok I got the coolermaster centurion case and then got the corsair 550W from buy.com Thanks a lot everyone

TRENDING THREADS