Why does my monitor screen suddenly shrink

Jul 2, 2012
Everyday my screen starts off normal size then suddenly shrinks? sometimes the system restarts itself or just freezes and hangs. What can I do to resolve this?
Thanks
Onita

You have several issues here, the monitor issue, are you using a CRT or an LCD?

The major issue is the computer. Best thing to do is to re-install Vista, your setup is probably filled up with years of spyware, add-ones, toolbars, etc...

Backup your files to an external drive, including Favorites, Desktop items, etc... and re-install the system using the restore disks. You will need to re-install your applications after that.

Jul 2, 2012
Thanks hang-the-9, this sounds a big job - is it worth reinstalling Vista due to the fact that Vista is obsolete? should I just completely wipe the system and install Windows 7?

My monitor is LCD

If you don't mind spending the money on the Windows 7 disk (you can use an upgrade disk) and your system has Windows 7 drivers, feel free to install that.

What I recommend is that you get a second new hard-drive, install the new Windows on that, and keep your original drive with your files as a backup. Just copy your files over to the new setup in your new My Documents folder. That way you are not risking losing anything, and have a backup drive.