Quad Core Temps Need Help

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Well I live in CA and right now and the last few days it's been over the 100 Mark for temps outside. I currently live in a house with no AC and with out a swamp cooler Thats working. (It's rusted out) So no Cooling for the house what so ever.

Computer Specs
Intel Q6600 2.4 Ghz
4Gb Ram With heat spreaders
DG33TL Intel Motherboard
8800 GT Factory OCed XFX
2X 80mm Fans 1 in-take 1 out
2 X Hard Drives 1 X500 1 X 160 Both SATA
550 Watt Power Supply Corsair

I am using Speedfan as a reporting tool for my temps on my CPU and here is what I'm getting.

Core 0- 73C (165F)
Core 1- 70C (158F)
Core 2- 72C (162F)
Core 3- 71C (160F)
HD0- 47C (117F)
HD1- 45C (113F)
Nvidia drivers saying 8800GT sitting idle at 66C (152F)

All Temps are when im not gaming Temps are when i was listening to muic (Itunes) and Surfing the Net Mainly TH

I do not consider myself an idiot.... but I've been wrong before

When I built the computer I left the thermal compound put on by intel. and I am using stock cooling
I know these Temps are out of control so I need as much advice as i can get witch CPU cooler would be best?
Easy to install?
Should I get more fans venting the hot air?
Should I take the side of the case off?
Any advice would be welcome and appreciated greatly

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Please post them in C, thats what we all go by. And YES thats too hot, 72C!

Try CoreTemp for temps, speedfan needs calibrated first.

Your 8800GT is about right I think.

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Update.

I had my computer off last night i got up around 10:15 Local time it's not 45 min later and here are the Tepms from CoreTemp

Core 0- 70C
Core 1- 66C
Core 2- 69C
Core 3- 67C

Vertigon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Check bios and make sure the voltage is set to standard, take the side off the case and use a house fan to get a greater volume of air into the computer and check to see the fan on the psu hasnt died. Also check if the psu is hot, some cases/mobo combinations put the cpu near the psu and the latent heat.Keep monitoring your temps as you do this.If the house fan brings the temps down you will probably have to create a greater air velocity inside the case. If all that doesnt help and your bios is configured correctly, reapply some arctic silver (thin and neat) and test again.

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Thank you ill definitely try that i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about a new/better Heatsink Fan? for it i am not one to overclock

Read the other posts relevant to the quad core rigs and temp problems by using the search engine above ... it will answer everything you need.

All of the resident gurus have left heaps of tips before.

If it doesn't then post again and we will help out ... in earnest.

Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS