AMD CPU Upgrade Question

drakking

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
Currently I have an AM2 Athlon 64 3800+. I want to stick with my current AM2 MB - MSI K9N6PGM-F AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Can anyone recommend a huge processor jump?

I was considering: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103773

Will an AM2+ work on this MB?

Anyone have a better recommendation then the one I have listed above?

Will this work well with the MOBO I have listed above?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3797669&body=MAIN#detailspecs

drakking

Distinguished
May 17, 2008

Thanks, should have checked that :)

Question: Does Result = No mean No it has not been tested, or it means it will not work?

Thanks for the feedback!

Also, nice recommendation amdfangirl. That may be the route I go!

Athlon 64 x2 6000+ (F3, 89W) Windsor ....

The voltage regulators on that mobo are not rated to handle 125 watt cpu's.

Make sure you get the 89Watt 6000+ unit.

Thats the best cpu you can get for it - it has the 2 X 1MB cache ... the best of the 90nm silicon AMD has.

The 65nm AM2 chips are crap in comparison ... watered down rubbish with loose cache latency as well as half the cache ... they don't run any faster either. None of the opti's use the 65nm mask either ...

Cheers,

royalcrown

Distinguished

Yeah, I am hoping the new cores come out on time and something at 95 watts doesen't suck like the Phenoms.

I have a 125 in one of my rigs and the other two are getting the 89 watt 6000+ cpu's in them.

3Ghz @ 89 Wats is pretty good for an X2 ... my old 4400+ AM1 is an 89Watt unit so they made good ground improving the F1 to F3 Windsor silicon over time.

Pity they didn't go for the double cheeseburger with these for a quad and just connect them via the HT1 Links.

Alas sometimes the easy path gets ignored ... maybe there was an Earth in the way of their hyperspace freeway bypass ??

And they weren't Vogon's ??

Or were they ??

Hmmm .... I'll have to give this some Deep Thought ... I'll get back in a few million years ... Nehalem should be in by then.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
No matter what you decide you'll get what seems like a new machine.

I went from a 4200+ to a 6400+ (with a 8800 GTS 320) and the difference in gaming performance is pretty dramatic.

Tuff to beat an X2 5400+ for $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103242
You can reuse your HSF. Easy OC to +3GHz on stock volts.

Yah could put the extra $$$ to some new RAMs ...

drakking

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
Thanks, I agree that is tough to beat. I have ordered that and coupled with the new FX card, should be amazing. I run a 7900GT for AoC, and it looks pretty amazing as is, cannot wait for the new card and DX10!

Now to look around the forums to tweak, setup etc. I hear a good dual core software is needed to fully optimize the processor. I will mainly be gaming.

I don't think the 125 watt version will work.

I'd go with one of the fast duals. It would appear your motherboard doesn't have "seamless" upgrade capability and won't support any quad-cores. However, a fast dual core will be a huge leap forward for your system.

G'luck mate.

Sounds great ...

Just a little heads up ... the 8800gts is basicly 'twice' the card of a 7900gt from a speed standpoint and will pull 2X the wattage of the 7900gt.

The OC options in the mobo BIOS may be somewhat limited but there may be 3rd party tools (check out nTune) which may give you a little boost if you want to OC the CPU.

Anyway ... going from a single-core at 2GHz to a dual-core at 2.8GHz will be a sweet bump ...

How much/what type/speed RAMs do you have ???

drakking

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
Thanks for the heads up! I have a 450W supply so hopefully it will not be too much of a problem.

I have not messed with OC too much because I hate blowing things up :) I may mess around with a bit if I can safely do it.

Yes, I hope to see significant gains from the processor alone. I know running some 3DMarks and my processor just does not like to perform, at all :)

I have the max this mobo will hold, PC2 5300 (2x1G) but now that i look at it, i need faster memory. In about a year or so, I will be forced to get Vista at which time I will upgrade the MOBO and tons more memory. Hopefully I will stick with this dual core and get a quad core when more things require it. Hope to have compatability for the next upgrade.

Intel changing socket sets continously makes it tough to develop a cost effective upgrade plan, but then again, it is the chip industry! I work for the largest semiconductor equipment manufacture so I understand this market all too well :)

TRENDING THREADS