Can I use Repair Console with Toshiba Laptop?

Hi,

I`d like to (if at all possible) *REPAIR* a corrupt registry on my
daughter`s
Toshiba laptop, rather than a*RESTORE* using the provided Toshiba rescue
DVD.

She gets a BSOD everytime she trys to start up, sometime just after the XP
splashscreen.
Error message reads: Stop: c0000218 [Registry File Failure].
Cannot enter Safemode or use any type restore at this level.

Microsoft says to fix, use XP install disc to load "Windows Repair Console".
I /We only have OEM Toshiba Restore DVD disc, and not a stand alone Win XP
disc!

Would it be possible to use any/my XP install disc to load the "Windows
Repair Console" on her Toshiba laptop and then attempt a repair?
Any other thoughts or ideas as to how to fix without "slash and burn"
restore disc?

Thank`s in advance for any insight into this matter.

Matt

No, you have to use the manufacturer's method
to repair. You cannot use your own CD.

Visit the Toshiba Support web site and click on
"Search with Ask Iris".
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_home.jsp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Mattrixx" wrote:

| Hi,
|
| I`d like to (if at all possible) *REPAIR* a corrupt registry on my
| daughter`s
| Toshiba laptop, rather than a*RESTORE* using the provided Toshiba rescue
| DVD.
|
| She gets a BSOD everytime she trys to start up, sometime just after the XP
| splashscreen.
| Error message reads: Stop: c0000218 [Registry File Failure].
| Cannot enter Safemode or use any type restore at this level.
|
| Microsoft says to fix, use XP install disc to load "Windows Repair Console".
| I /We only have OEM Toshiba Restore DVD disc, and not a stand alone Win XP
| disc!
|
| Would it be possible to use any/my XP install disc to load the "Windows
| Repair Console" on her Toshiba laptop and then attempt a repair?
| Any other thoughts or ideas as to how to fix without "slash and burn"
| restore disc?
|
| Thank`s in advance for any insight into this matter.
|
| Matt

Thanks Carey

But that Toshiba link:
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_home.jsp
is completely *worthless* for any kind of appropriate meaningfull reply to
any question posted!

Matt

> No, you have to use the manufacturer's method
> to repair. You cannot use your own CD.
>
> Visit the Toshiba Support web site and click on
> "Search with Ask Iris".
> http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_home.jsp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Mattrixx" wrote:
>
> | Hi,
> |
> | I`d like to (if at all possible) *REPAIR* a corrupt registry on my
> | daughter`s
> | Toshiba laptop, rather than a*RESTORE* using the provided Toshiba rescue
> | DVD.
> |
> | She gets a BSOD everytime she trys to start up, sometime just after the
> XP
> | splashscreen.
> | Error message reads: Stop: c0000218 [Registry File Failure].
> | Cannot enter Safemode or use any type restore at this level.
> |
> | Microsoft says to fix, use XP install disc to load "Windows Repair
> Console".
> | I /We only have OEM Toshiba Restore DVD disc, and not a stand alone Win
> XP
> | disc!
> |
> | Would it be possible to use any/my XP install disc to load the "Windows
> | Repair Console" on her Toshiba laptop and then attempt a repair?
> | Any other thoughts or ideas as to how to fix without "slash and burn"
> | restore disc?
> |
> | Thank`s in advance for any insight into this matter.
> |
> | Matt

You can run the Repair Console off another XP CD if you wish. However
running a Repair Install will require a version of XP that is the same as
that already installed and will be dedicated to that system. For example if
you have XP Home installed you can use any XP CD to launch the Recovery
Console and try to copy files around with it. But to do an in place overtop
reinstall you will need an XP Home CD and once used it will become tied to
that system once it is activated.
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp