8800gt just went 132c HELP!!!

nutbar

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
Help! in a word!

If any of you can help me I would be most grateful.

I have a BFG 8800gt OC2, I have just been playing TimeShift on full quality settings without any problems.

I am aware that these are hot cards and had RivaTuner running the cards fan at full capacity to keep it cool, im using HWMonitor to check the temps after playing games and its always been spot on.

Anyways, im now quite into the game and so there is more going on and so more for the card to process, it was hitting a max of about 68 - 72C in the earlier part of the game, after coming off it a min ago I saw that the temp of the card had gone up to 131C!!! As far as I know its supposed to flag up a warning if it goes over 100C but nothing happened.
Im a bit gutted as I was planning to fit an after market cooler on it next week. :(

So conclusion;

Have I damaged my card? and if so how do I find out?

Why did nothing happen when it reached this temp?

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thank you in advance. :wahoo:

I wonder if the temp readings are accurate, it should shutdown before it gets anywhere near that kind of temp!

Does it still work?

Have you pulled the cooler to check if its making good contact with the GPU and memory chips?

I swapped my stock cooler to the Zalman VF1000, in my heaviest gaming load now it never exceeds 48c and thats with the 8800GT OC'd that used to be my idle temp with the stock cooler and stock settings.

I question whether the temps are reporting accurately if the card didn't shutdown the hardware acceleration, have you checked to see if the fan has failed?

nutbar

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
Hi 4ryan, yup it still works and the fan is working fine, what do you use to monitor your GPU temps? like I said im using HWMonitor and its seemed to be accurate in the past but maybe it gives incorrect measurements past a certain temperature? im guessing here as im not very experienced with such matters.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
If your card still works (at its stock speed) and there are no visual artifacts, then I'd say your card is fine. I'd REALLY question the accuracy of the temperature reading you got... I can't imagine any card surviving that sort of heat. Is there a chance it was displaying the temperature in Fahrenheit?

noobtastic

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
These BFG cards are notorious for the sticker on the fan coming off, and sometimes into the fan itself. Mine did that and was making a sound because the fins of the fan were hitting the sticker. I didn't know what was causing the sound until I pulled the entire heatsink off, which is a pain in the a**. I was peeved to see that it was the sticker, which BFG covers the stock Nvidia sticker with a BFG one. There is a chance the sticker caused the fan to stop spinning properly hence the extreme temps. As far as the extreme temps not causing your system to save itself and shutdown, never seen that before, as a matter of fact, anything slightly overheating in my system equals crash.

BTW running SLI with 8800GT's in an Antec 900 case. Stock hsf at 100%, idle temps sub 50's heavy loads mid to upper 50's.

Good luck,
Noobtastic

MSI P5n-SLI
Intel Q6600 stock
4GB DDR800
2x BFG 8800GT Factory OC
Antec 900
Antec 600W Power supply

nutbar

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
It seems fine i.e. no artefacts, the temp was in C not F.
The monitoring software I used was this: http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

I would like to know your opinions/experiences with this software.

Do you think I should just bin that software and use RivaTuners own temp monitor?

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
seriously, that temp has to be wrong. (havent had any overheating issues with my 8800GT). If it was really that temp you would have experienced AT LEAST some artifacting, performance throttling and artifacting are the #1 signs of an overheating videocard then crash. use multiple thermal monitors and try again, I find it hard to believe you hit a temp like that with out noticing anything or having anything happen.

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

Riva tuner will spout out bogus readings for me, even if said temp had been correct in the past. i.e. my cpu cores will be reading fine then one drops to -30C impossible and it will remain that way for awhile and then return to normal.

I use the Nvidia Control panel to monitor my temps, but it now requires Ntune to be installed to use the temperature monitoring capability.

I'm also using Riva Tuner to OC the card and so far both running on my machine haven't caused any problems at all.

noobtastic has a good point about the sticker on the fan, and its not the first time I've heard about the sticker problem and not just with BFG,
I had one come off with my previous 7800GTX and it was an MSI product.

nutbar

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
Thanks for the heads up on the sticker! that would really suck if that happend! Im gonna order a new heat sink tonight!

Iv just downloaded ATITools, im not really wanting to overclock at the moment and dont really know what all those bits do on it but I saw a button that tests for artefacts - just as a heat test should I get all the different programs running at the same time and have them on screen so I can compare what ratings they give me?