Sign in with
Your question

Seagate 7200.9

Last response: in Storage
June 21, 2009 4:17:10 PM

Hi,

I have an older barracuda 7200.9 160gb hd. It just decided quit working, the drive still spins up, the computer does/does not recognize it Seagate tools (cd) will load and find it, then it won't. I was wondering if it might be a firmware problem and is there a fix? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you, jakeb1

More about : seagate 7200

June 22, 2009 10:40:58 AM

Well, since you think it's a firmware thing, have you tried updating your firmware? But it's more likely your drive giving out, since it's probably more than two years old?

Hope you've backed up your data!
June 22, 2009 1:05:00 PM

it is possible that it's a firmware problem. try searching the seagate site for an updated version. if you can flash the firmware, then the drive is most likely still working. but if you cant even do that, then it's most likely dead/dying.
Related resources
June 22, 2009 4:33:23 PM

PepoJ said:
Well, since you think it's a firmware thing, have you tried updating your firmware? But it's more likely your drive giving out, since it's probably more than two years old?

Hope you've backed up your data!

Thank you for your response and suggestion. I have contacted Seagate and downloaded the update for the firmware. It doesn't see the drive. I think the drive just became a paperweight.
June 22, 2009 4:35:17 PM

Nik_I said:
it is possible that it's a firmware problem. try searching the seagate site for an updated version. if you can flash the firmware, then the drive is most likely still working. but if you cant even do that, then it's most likely dead/dying.

Thank you too, as I just replied to PepoJ, I downloaded the firmware and it doesn't see the drive. So it's most probably entered the realm of paperweight.
August 8, 2009 12:18:15 AM

Hi i would like to get the link to this firmware update please. I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 I believe it is the firmware because only on character is missing when the harddive is recognized on my PC and it is prevent me from opening or formatting the drive.
Thank you.
!