Sign in with
Your question

XP product key - help please

Last response: in Windows XP
August 19, 2010 6:33:42 AM

Installed winXP Pro SP2 but I can't use the product key as its totally unreadable (the box is very old & badly scratched-up...wrote it down somewhere but now I can't remember :(  )

Can I continue the setup with a new XP Pro CD + product key?

btw: all the XP copies are totally legit retail packs...my old CD is personal property while the newer one is from my office.
Thanks.

More about : product key

August 19, 2010 6:56:31 AM

You could certainly try. At the worst it won't work and you'll have to restart the installation. But if you don't try then you're going to have to restart anyway....
August 19, 2010 6:57:32 AM

L0tus said:
Installed winXP Pro SP2 but I can't use the product key as its totally unreadable (the box is very old & badly scratched-up...wrote it down somewhere but now I can't remember :(  )

Can I continue the setup with a new XP Pro CD + product key?

btw: all the XP copies are totally legit retail packs...my old CD is personal property while the newer one is from my office.
Thanks.

[#0005ff]You haven't got very far into the installation by the time you're asked to input the key so just go back to the start with the new CD. I'm not sure you'll get away with swapping disks at that stage. You can, of course, only use that office CD if it isn't in use elsewhere otherwise you'll fail at the activation stage.[/#000ff]
August 19, 2010 7:12:55 AM

Saga Lout said:
[#0005ff]You haven't got very far into the installation by the time you're asked to input the key so just go back to the start with the new CD. I'm not sure you'll get away with swapping disks at that stage. You can, of course, only use that office CD if it isn't in use elsewhere otherwise you'll fail at the activation stage.[/#000ff]

Thanks. Thankfully, the office CD was never used cos almost everyone got XP pre-installed laptops instead of PCs
!