Logan_Nolag

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
I have been having some problems with my build.

My configuration is:
CPU: C2D E6850
Motherboard: Intel DP35DP
Graphics Card: eVGA 8800GTX
RAM: GSkill 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
PSU: PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 Quad
TVTuner: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800
Case: Lian Li A16B

The biggest problem is that my computer does not always fully enter sleep and then when it occasionally does enter sleep it will not always fully wake up.

I initially thought it was just a problem with vista that is until I changed my setup slightly. I removed my sound card and added a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800. My sound card was a creative x-fi platinum champion series.

What makes me think I have a PSU problem is that after changing my setup I had some new problems I didn't have before.

First my graphics card now emits a slight beep when I shut down my computer and approximately half the time I try to bring it out of the odd sucessful sleep it emits the low power alarm (It still never wakes from sleep even when the graphics card does not emit the alarm).

The second new problem is that now that I am using my front panel audio connector the sound from the headphone jack has an odd problem. When I am on the desktop there is absolutely zero static but when I open any window or program a slight static sound starts coming from the headphones. The oddest part is that the pitch of the static changes when I move the opened window around. Also the volume of the static does not change with the volume of the computer it is the same when the volume is set muted, zero, or max.

After researching both of these problems I discovered that the graphics card beep at shutdown is fairly common and has to do with power issues (The beep stops when I remove the TV tuner but the sleep issues remain). Could the beep be due the PCI bus having to share power between two cards? I also discovered that the audio problem is most likely due to interference that can arise from an improperly grounded PSU (The pitch of the static changes when I move the front panel audio cable around inside my case) it is less noticeable the farther away it gets from the walls of the case.

Once I started to suspect the problems were because of the PSU I listened to the fan on my PSU very closely and I heard a very faint high pitched whining noise (much quieter than but obviously distinct from the sound of the moving air and spinning fan).

All of these problems lead me to believe the problems are all based on the PSU but it could be anything, motherboard, gfx card, or even RAM what I really want is your opinions on what you thing the problem is. I would appreciate any help in solving this problem.

Thank you for reading my really long post.

akhilles

Splendid
First thing, make sure your bios to set to S3/STR (suspend to ram).

An alternative to standby is hibernate - works for pretty much every pc. You have to enable it, disable standby and set the idle period for hibernate in display properties. Good thing is it completely shuts down the pc. No noise. No energy waste.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
I've never been able to get sleep/hibernate to work correctly. It's even quircky on my laptop from time to time. My advice would be not to use it at all if you don't need it. Just shut the PC down when at work and asleep. And leave it on when ur home.

Logan_Nolag

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
I forgot to mention that I have had the same problems with XP and Linux thats another reason I think its a hardware problem. What piece of hardware do you think is bad? And the bios is set to S3.

akhilles

Splendid
Not necessarily an hardware failure. Could be incompatibility or misconfiguration.

Are you 100% sure your other parts are standby-compatible or set up so? Some parts like to be up all the time.

The bios is on S3. It's good. Update your os & software.

Logan_Nolag

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Everything is up to date.

Service pack 1 is installed and all the drivers are the most recent versions.

Unless the evga 8800gtx can not enter standby I am pretty sure everything is compatible with standby.

I know the problems are not caused by the tv tuner because I still have problems weather it is installed or not. The only thing that changes is that the low power alarm does not go off when the tv tuner is removed.

I am almost 100 percent sure the problems are due to the graphics card not getting enough power when the computer changes power states.

I want to know what could cause this. Is the motherboard not delivering enough power to the pcie bus? Is the graphics card faulty? Or is the PSU not working properly?