Sign in with
Your question

Pentium D 940 Overclocking help.

Last response: in Overclocking
January 1, 2009 12:33:21 PM

Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone could help a newbie with a small little problem resolving my first overclock. Ill start with my specs:

Mobo: Evga 750i SLi FTW
CPU: Pentium D 940 3.2
GPU: Geforce 9800gtx+ 512mb
Mem: 2x1gb 1066 ballistix crucial
Power: Unknown 650w
Case: Antec 1200

Now my problem is as follows. Ive overclocked the FSB to 875 which gives me 3.5gz. and changed the Mem to its timing 5-5-5-15 T2 at 1066 as it says on its sides.
I boot vista and everything is fine. Open up computer properties to find it says 3.5gzh, yet CPUz says its still running at 3.2ghz.

Ive disabled speed stepping and tried many combinations, are some CPU's locked?

Is this a human error (of which i expect) or CPUz?

Many thanks,

Shin-Hing
January 1, 2009 8:03:49 PM

Can anyone help, its like the most anoying thing in the world :pt1cable: 
January 1, 2009 9:30:32 PM

I'd trust CPUZ. However, make sure you have the latest version. Remember that sometimes speedstep isn't turned off. Also, make sure you've done the basics: run memtest86+ through at least a couple of complete passes w/o errors, and then stress-tested with something like Orthos. Your CPU and chipset are not known for being big overclockers, so perhaps your BIOS is finding problems and just reverting to a "safe" default upon bootup.
January 1, 2009 10:08:29 PM

Thanks for the reply Mondoman.

I have the latest CPUz v1.49 dec08. Ill have to do the memtest86+ tomorrow. Ive d-loaded Orthos and am just running a test for the hell of hit. How long should I test it for?

you say "Remember that sometimes speedstep isn't turned off" is there a way of fully shutting it down?

Also "perhaps your BIOS is finding problems and just reverting to a "safe" default upon bootup"
Would this be a setting in the Bios somewhere to disable or is it something ill have to live with?

There are some screenshots on my blog of cpuz www.jameshing.co.uk

Thanks again.
!