Ok so Im going to Overclock my core2 from 2.4 to 3.0 and was wondering if even though im running XP it would be worth putting an extra 2 GB in to make 4GB or does the addressing limit give a negative performance issue. If so is it worth putting in 2 X 512 to run 3GB. Also if it is advisable would a second set of matched 2 x 1GB Ramrun in dual mode with the other two or would i need to get a matched set of 4 GB ram.

Thanks

Mactronix

mighty442

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
The limit won't give you negative performance issues but the extra memory isn't going to help you either. You don't need 4 perfectly matched memory to OC. Same speed and latency will be good enough. I don't see why you can't just OC with the current memory you have now.

The thing is im looking at it this way, The MOBO i have requires me to open the case and set jumpers to get 1:1 ratio with the memory.
Im figuring while im in there and as i plan to upgrade to either Vista or Windows 7 if it reviews well, that IF its worth it or at least wont hurt, but will run in dual after the upgrade then while im in there i may as well add it.
Hope that makes sense.
Mactronix

mighty442

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Well if you upgrade to a 64 bit OS then sure it will help. But for just overclocking it won't make a difference if you have 2 gigs or 4 gigs.

You can see what im asking though ?
If its not worth doing or will cause problems then i wont bother its just a side thought really, I know taking the side off isnt a big issue .... guess im just lazy :)

Mactronix

mighty442

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Is it worth doing? Sure if you going to also upgrade your OS to take advantage of the extra memory. The only problem I can forsee is the new memory won't play nice with your old memory but that's with any hardware.

Just better to OC your CPU without the memory upgrade for now. Once less variable you have to worry about.

sdrac

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Mac -
I've not heard of a performance impact to having 4GB. You won't of course be able to access it all, but you may see some advantage to having a bit more addressable memory in your rig.
As for a second set of 2X1GB or 2 X2GB, depending on your mobo and memory, the later is probably the better way to go (and save that 2X1GB for a rainy day). As you probably know, having 4 DIMMs installed at once pushs the limits of unbuffered technology. If you have a good Mobo and good RAM, your less likely to see an issue but, if you do have one, you may need to raise the voltage a bit on your northbridge (.05V to .1V) (this is not the DIMM voltage, but the memory controller in the northbridge).
Anyway, hopefully your mobo will support that. Thats why I say that overall its better to go with 2X2GB - but it really depends on your rig and what it can do.

Hope that helps,
Sdrac

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006

Thats a study performed by a memory manufacturer, in other words its pure marketing. Stop linking to it.

@ sdrac,
Thanks that has kinda made my mind up, I will just OC with what i have then when i get the Vista or Windows 7 upgrade i can order 2 X 2 GB Matched Ram and that addresses the needs of the OEM licence, Right ?
Thanks to everyone else for the input

Mactronix

Kind of a waste of time posting a thread here. One guy says it's a bad idea seven say it's the right thing to do. I don't follow your logic. Obviously 7 people can't be wrong. But yes, if going to Vista get the extra ram.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/07/08/is-more-memory-better/1

nocteratus

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/709/3/

The same test following the Corsair study, and after upgrading my system from 2 to 4Gb I saw the same kind of improvement, and switching between open windows/programs with alt-tab is almost instantanious compare to almost 30-60 sec.

I put the corsair link becaus I only had that one when I posted.

sdrac

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
@swifty -

First of all, your link is about more memory with Vista - a 64 bit OS. The OP originally asked about more memory with a 32 bit OS (which is what I replied to) - and he asked about what kind of module configuration would be best.
If you read his original post and my original reply, you'll see that I actually said more memory would give some advantage even with a 32 bit OS, and then I recommend a particular config based on known issues with many boards when using 4 DIMMS.
So - all ~8 people answered that more memory would help. 1 responded to the original question on the memory config.

It would be helpful if your read these threads before posting.

Thats a study using 64 BIT windows.
Those results cant possibly happen if you are using a 32 bit OS , either xp or vista .

And the RAM limit on a 32 bit OS includes the gfx ram . 32 bit xp [ or vista] with 2 gig of RAM and a 1 gig gfx card will show no measurable improvement any where if you add 2 more gigs of RAM.

Any one with any doubts [ in XP ] can just hit ctrl + alt + del once and see exactly how much memory their system is using

In general, I would always go with more ram.

However, the OP intends to undertake some overclocking.
Going to 4 sticks of ram can cause problems there because the motherboard has a harder time managing them, and will limit the amount of overclock possible. For overclocking, try to stay at 2 sticks.

If going to 4gb was accomplished by installing a 4gb kit of 2x2gb, then it is all plus, from a performance point of view. I might guess that 4gb might give better real application results than cpu overclocking in many cases. You can get a good 4gb kit for $25 or so, after rebate, so I see it as a no brainer. As stated, the OP was considering adding 2x1gb or 2x512mb, and I think that is not good. It would probably cost the same for a new 4gb kit, and the old 2gb can be sold to reduce the cost even more.

It is somewhat cynical to dismiss the corsair study out of hand, just because they are an interested party. They have the expertise to do the study, and have a legitimate reason for pointing out the value of their product. Now, if one can point out some sort of deception on their part, that is a different matter. I see none. As to xp or vista-64, naturally it is better to see 4gb vs. 3.5gb. But either is still a lot better than 2gb.

Thanks for the extra input guys,
Im pretty set on just doing the Overclock with 2x1 GB as is, It will save on complications and as has been said if i do add extra ram before i Overclock its just another variable if (when ) the overclock has issues.

Thanks for thr Corsair link, I do rate them as a company but again as has been posted its not relevant to a 32 bit OS, Its a handy link to have all the same Thanks.

As for the OEM thing,
Last i heard you had to buy a piece of hardware when buying OEM software, its some sort of licensing thing. To be honest im not sure if Ram counts and im sure plenty of people buy it on its own but as far as i know you are meant to purchase some hardware at the same time.
If thats wrong please let me know

Mactronix

The corsair test was to measure the effect of more than 2gb in games. With vista-64 you got all 4gb, with XP, you get 3.5gb. The differences between the os'es ane not so important to the conclusion reached, ie: more than 2gb is good.

In theory if you want to buy an oem os, it must be part of a new build. I don't think that requirement is very strict.
You can, however, buy a full retail Vista at oem prices.

1) Do you qualify for an academic license?
If so, you can get Vista at a discounted price.
2) Look for an upgrade version of home premium instead of OEM.
Upgrade is a retail version which gives you support from microsoft, unlike OEM(AKA system builder),
and allows a more hassel-free ability to transfer the os to a different pc(motherboard).
For $10, microsoft will send you the 64 bit DVD.
I saw Vista home premium upgrade recently at Costco for $85, amazon for $89.
There is a legitimate two step instalation process to install an upgrade version
You install vista from the cd, but do not initially enter the product code.

Just tell the install which version you bought, and do not activate.
After it installs, you have a fully functional vista for 30 days.
Step 2 is to insert the cd again, while running vista and then do an upgrade.
This time, enter your product code, and activate.
After activation. you may delete the initial version which is named windows.old.

3) Do you possibly need Ultimate? There are very few features that the home user would want.
Check out the differences on the microsoft Vista web site.
If you get a retail or upgrade version, you will still be able to upgrade to ultimate later.

Adding more memory will reduce your ability to overclock. You're best off with just two sticks of RAM. Anyway if you are using XP 32 bit and want to put in more RAM then you are best inserting the 2 512 sticks you already have as you won't be able to use all of the 4GB of memory should you get the addition two 1GB sticks.