Unacceptable hangs on Intel 160GB SSD X-25M

hazarrd

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
I recently installed the Intel 160GB X-25M in my Lenovo x200 laptop running a clean install of Windows 7. I've been experiencing unacceptable lags/hangs when accessing the hard drive. The computer will more or less freeze for about a second or so and then load the requested file. It even happens when I'm just browsing a website which is odd because that wouldn't require any hard drive use. Is there anyway to fix this? I thought the Intel drive didn't suffer from this problem. What can I do?

Argh. Even as I write this it happens.

Thanks

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Did you install the Intel chipset driver (needs to be installed first) and display/gfx driver after clean installing Win7?
Do not use the ones that came with Win7 by default. Download the latest.

hazarrd

Distinguished
May 26, 2009

I don't think so. Where can I get them from? Do I have to do a clean install again or can I just install the driver? Where can I get the display/gfx drivers? Thanks!

halcyon

Splendid

You may want to check to see that your Intel SSD has the latest available firmware: http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/index_update.htm

DataCabbitKSW

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Hazarrd, definitely go get the latest drivers for Windows 7 from intel for your chipset. That will solve a lot of the sissue I believe. A firmware update of the drive shouldn't hurt your prospects either. There will be HDD access even during web browsing (caching temp files of the pages, loading and unloading plugins like Adobe Flash). I don't think the graphics drivers would be causing this, but definitely the chipset drivers (as those are what controls your interaction across the drive controllers). Also, doing things to minimize the impact against your drive would be adviseable once you get it in working order. You want that investment to last. The link Shadow posted is a good start. There are also some whitepapers on tuning systems for SSDs over on TechNet as well: http://tinyurl.com/832nco

ssguy24

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Thats a lot of money to spend on something you have major and consistent problems with, I hope there is an easy fix for it, because thats pretty unacceptable in my opinion

bobbyrulez

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
I had the same lags issues out of suddn after using Windows 7 build 7062 for a week. Dont have any SSDs inside my PC. But then it resolved itself. Could be just Windows itself. It still beta...

sub mesa

Distinguished
Thats just readyboost reading from your harddrive after booting all application you use often, so they can be booted fast. But it would slow down your pc after booting initially. And its not needed for SSDs.