Sign in with
Your question

Can I add a 2nd 10K Vraptop to my XPS730x without loosing restore

Last response: in Storage
June 21, 2009 11:54:58 PM

Hi all,

I'm new here, and glad to finally be a member.

I have built many gamers, over the last 10 years, but due to a back injury, I cannot do the work needed to build a rig anymore :( 

I found a XPS 730x with
64 bit Vista Ultimate
I-7( 940 ) 2.93Ghz CPU
6GB Tri-channel 1066Mhz RAM
2048MB ATI 4870X2
300GB 10K Velociraptor
6GB Blue-Ray Burner
DVDRW Burner
X-fi Titanium
Killer NIC

It was in the outlet for under $1600 :o  (someone goofed)

So I bought it. :bounce: 

I always built them(before my back injury) with 4 (or more) drives in RAID 0+1 or RAID 5

This XPS 730x only has the one drive, but I have 2 x 250GB 10K Raptors here, and a 1TB Cavier 32MB cache HDD for data
that I had left from a build I was working on when I hurt my back.
(I have to sell all those other parts now too)

Anyway

Is there a way, I can add these other HDDs to make RAID 0 work, by imaging
the one coming from Dell onto a RAID 0 Array created by me(or a buddy) with the 2 Raptors I have?

Thanks for the advice

Jonny Boy

PS. At time of writing this I am trying to get dell to just add the 2nd Velociraptor & setup RAID 0 for me from the factory, so I won't have to struggle to do it.
I just don't have the patience, I used to, in order to install the OS from scratch & then add all the drivers, etc to remove the bloatware (which I always did on my Alienware Gaming lappys in the past)

I'll just delete the Dell bloatware & go from there the create a Full PC image once I have all my games on it!
If it's possible

Also is it true that the I-7 I have(940) can be OCed close to 4Ghz on Air Cooling?
They want $600+ for their H2C...I could have a buddy put in custom watercooling system, I put together for way less
a b G Storage
June 22, 2009 12:20:36 AM

Sorry to hear that you can't build PCs any more :( . But, great buy for $1600. :) 

Anyways, you should be able to add the Raptors to the RAID array, but you may need to rebuild the array or create a new one.
As for getting rid of bloatware, take a look at nLite/vLite. Create a new OS disk and you are set to go.

For 4Ghz OC you probably should go WC as even the high end Air coolers max out at about 3.6-3.8Ghz usually. Don't get the Dell cooling kit. It's not that good. Get a GTZ + D5 + 320 (or bigger) rad. lol, for $600 you can get a MUCH better WC set up that will run circles around the Dell one AND the custom $600 will cool 2x GPU + CPU easily.
a b G Storage
June 22, 2009 3:01:34 AM

I've never had luck imaging a RAID array to use on another drive/array so I'd recommend doing a clean install of the OS on the new RAID0 array instead and use nLite/vLite to cut down the bloating as Shadow suggested. Just remember with a vLite'd install any future service pack won't work.
I mostly use Server 2008 (converted to workstation) instead of Vista now and find it to be less bloated, no user friendly GUI etc. But still has full Aero interface.

Quote:
Also is it true that the I-7 I have(940) can be OCed close to 4Ghz on Air Cooling?
For short period benchmark runs that's no problem with most 120mm-class aircooling. If you want to use it at that speed continuously e.g. x264 encoding then you'd definitely need a proper watercooling setup like shadow listed above.
June 22, 2009 11:33:12 PM

Hey Shadow & Wuzy,

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure if I'll need 4Ghz all the time, as I'm sure that this rig(which I cannot wait to get)even at 3.4Ghz with the 6GB's of tri-channel MEM and a 2GB 4870X2 should do me well for (Crysis, Farcry 2, Infamous, Bioshock, Fallout 3, Prototype etc) but I do alot of x264 encoding, so I'll want to go with WC

Are these sufficeint & if so where can I get them all together to save S&H on different site sales? dangerden?

GTZ waterblock
ALPHACOOL D5 Pump
Danger Den Black Ice GT Stealth 360 RAD

Is the EK 4870 X2 a good waterblock for my Video card?
If not what would you suggest?
a b G Storage
June 23, 2009 3:05:21 AM

Jab-tech and PetrasTechShop have the lowest prices around and of course cheap & fast shipping rates, even internationally.

For rad. you'll want to look into Swiftech MCR320 instead which is both cheaper and less flow restriction while performing the same as GTS360.
I have the GTS360 myself and the only reason I picked it over MCR320 was due to space constraint, I needed 30mm instead of 35mm thick.

The EK 4870 X2 block is the best full-cover block out there for HD4870x2 I think. As long as it's not insanely priced (should be no more than $120) it's good.
!