boop334

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
hello
is it ok to have about 80 gb left on my 250 gb hard drive (Formatted 232 gb)? will this decrease my performance or is that only when there is much less space (less than 40 gb)?

Thanks,
Will

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If your drive is that full (66%), there's still lots of empty space, but it MAY be a bit slower because of Fragmentation. You should consider running a Defragmentation utility (Windows has one built in), but just recognize that it will take along time, so maybe set it to run overnight.

boop334

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
ok well i defragment my drive like every week so that isnt a problem but are there any other slowdowns that occur with "low" hdd space?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
With your regular defrag habit I can't see any reason for concern. Performance may start to degrade at really low free space. For example, usually your Windows Paging file is set to Variable Size, meaning it can expand and shrink as needed. But it always has an upper limit of size, typically less than 10% of your hard drive, usually something only a little more than your RAM space - something like 2 to 4 GB. If you get below that the disk might start thrashing around trying to move data between RAM and Paging File. But by that time your Free Space will be under 10 GB, probably less, and you're nowhere near that situation.

boop334

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
ok so essentially as long as i have about mroe than 10 gb (Which i dont plan on getting near!) to leave space for the Page file and do regualar defrags im fine Thanks for the help!

meszi

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
LOL no man you don't have to worry, it's far away from full:D

I have 2 500GB HDD and a 120 GB one, and have less than 20 GB free, and no slowing down at all.